[LIKO-12 V1.0.0] An open-source fantasy computer made in LÖVE

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
catnipped
Prole

Re: [LIKO-12 V0.0.5 PRE] An open-source pico-8-inspired game dev environment for love2d

Post by catnipped »

hi! are there any plans to replace the font? the lowercase characters are unreadable for me :( would be nice to differentiate it from PICO as well.
scoobyff666
Prole

Re: [LIKO-12 V0.0.5 PRE] An open-source pico-8-inspired game dev environment for love2d

Post by scoobyff666 »

That's one thing I have to agree with.. the lowercase characters are a serious problem
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Yeah, that's exactly why PICO-8 uses all caps for the visual end of things. It's just easier to read. Note however, the actual code is all lowercase for obvious reasons. Save a PICO-8 project to a text file and open it in an editor. It's all lowercase because Lua functions are lowercase and it just keeps things simple. The uppercase display font is just to keep things readable and simple. PICO-8 ignores case completely.

So either you need to use a font that's readable in both upper and lower, or adopt the PICO-8 method and drop case all together.
DegGa
Prole

Post by DegGa »

Jasoco wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:46 am Yeah, that's exactly why PICO-8 uses all caps for the visual end of things. It's just easier to read. Note however, the actual code is all lowercase for obvious reasons. Save a PICO-8 project to a text file and open it in an editor. It's all lowercase because Lua functions are lowercase and it just keeps things simple. The uppercase display font is just to keep things readable and simple. PICO-8 ignores case completely.

So either you need to use a font that's readable in both upper and lower, or adopt the PICO-8 method and drop case all together.
Yeah i agree with that, because lowercase letters are nearly unreadable.
RamiLego4Game
Citizen

Post by RamiLego4Game »

catnipped wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:41 pm hi! are there any plans to replace the font? the lowercase characters are unreadable for me :( would be nice to differentiate it from PICO as well.
Hey I did an update that replaced the font with a 4x5 one that's more readable, is it still that bad ?
LIKO12-Font.png
LIKO12-Font.png (7.98 KiB) Viewed 10156 times
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

It's a bit better. But still can be hard to read.

When will you be implementing music and sfx creation tools? Would they even be possible in Löve without external libraries?
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Jasoco wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:49 pm It's a bit better. But still can be hard to read.

When will you be implementing music and sfx creation tools? Would they even be possible in Löve without external libraries?
I'm on it, and 0.11 will allow them without any external libs. (It's possible with 0.10 as well, only that unless you use lpghatguy's qsource lib, you'll need to resort to (relatively) gigantic buffer sizes, which means large delays.)
Edit: Just so i can give an example: https://github.com/zorggn/LoveTracker
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
gingerbeardman
Prole

Post by gingerbeardman »

That lower case font (even the new one) is a show stopper for me.

Please make the editor upper case display (and keep whatever the user types behind the scenes)
Tchey
Prole

Post by Tchey »

Hello,

As a Linux user, what should i DL to try Liko12 The Reborn (v060) ?
https://github.com/RamiLego4Game/LIKO-12/releases/
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

That would be the universal .love package, or the source code.