[LIKO-12 V1.0.0] An open-source fantasy computer made in LÖVE

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
catnipped
Prole
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:39 pm

Re: [LIKO-12 V0.0.5 PRE] An open-source pico-8-inspired game dev environment for love2d

Post by catnipped » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:41 pm

hi! are there any plans to replace the font? the lowercase characters are unreadable for me :( would be nice to differentiate it from PICO as well.

scoobyff666
Prole
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:21 am

Re: [LIKO-12 V0.0.5 PRE] An open-source pico-8-inspired game dev environment for love2d

Post by scoobyff666 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:50 pm

That's one thing I have to agree with.. the lowercase characters are a serious problem

User avatar
Jasoco
Inner party member
Posts: 3620
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:35 am
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: [LIKO-12 V0.0.5 PRE] An open-source pico-8-inspired game dev environment for love2d

Post by Jasoco » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:46 am

Yeah, that's exactly why PICO-8 uses all caps for the visual end of things. It's just easier to read. Note however, the actual code is all lowercase for obvious reasons. Save a PICO-8 project to a text file and open it in an editor. It's all lowercase because Lua functions are lowercase and it just keeps things simple. The uppercase display font is just to keep things readable and simple. PICO-8 ignores case completely.

So either you need to use a font that's readable in both upper and lower, or adopt the PICO-8 method and drop case all together.

User avatar
DegGa
Prole
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:18 pm
Contact:

Re: [LIKO-12 V0.0.5 PRE] An open-source pico-8-inspired game dev environment for love2d

Post by DegGa » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:21 pm

Jasoco wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:46 am
Yeah, that's exactly why PICO-8 uses all caps for the visual end of things. It's just easier to read. Note however, the actual code is all lowercase for obvious reasons. Save a PICO-8 project to a text file and open it in an editor. It's all lowercase because Lua functions are lowercase and it just keeps things simple. The uppercase display font is just to keep things readable and simple. PICO-8 ignores case completely.

So either you need to use a font that's readable in both upper and lower, or adopt the PICO-8 method and drop case all together.
Yeah i agree with that, because lowercase letters are nearly unreadable.

User avatar
RamiLego4Game
Citizen
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:41 pm

Re: [LIKO-12 V0.0.5 PRE] An open-source pico-8-inspired game dev environment for love2d

Post by RamiLego4Game » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:37 pm

catnipped wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:41 pm
hi! are there any plans to replace the font? the lowercase characters are unreadable for me :( would be nice to differentiate it from PICO as well.
Hey I did an update that replaced the font with a 4x5 one that's more readable, is it still that bad ?
LIKO12-Font.png
LIKO12-Font.png (7.98 KiB) Viewed 2834 times
My works:

User avatar
Jasoco
Inner party member
Posts: 3620
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:35 am
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: [LIKO-12 V0.0.5 PRE] An open-source pico-8-inspired game dev environment for love2d

Post by Jasoco » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:49 pm

It's a bit better. But still can be hard to read.

When will you be implementing music and sfx creation tools? Would they even be possible in Löve without external libraries?

User avatar
zorg
Party member
Posts: 2368
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:55 pm
Location: Absurdistan, Hungary
Contact:

Re: [LIKO-12 V0.0.5 PRE] An open-source pico-8-inspired game dev environment for love2d

Post by zorg » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:15 am

Jasoco wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:49 pm
It's a bit better. But still can be hard to read.

When will you be implementing music and sfx creation tools? Would they even be possible in Löve without external libraries?
I'm on it, and 0.11 will allow them without any external libs. (It's possible with 0.10 as well, only that unless you use lpghatguy's qsource lib, you'll need to resort to (relatively) gigantic buffer sizes, which means large delays.)
Edit: Just so i can give an example: https://github.com/zorggn/LoveTracker
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.

gingerbeardman
Prole
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:22 am

Re: [LIKO-12 V0.0.5 PRE] An open-source pico-8-inspired game dev environment for love2d

Post by gingerbeardman » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:46 pm

That lower case font (even the new one) is a show stopper for me.

Please make the editor upper case display (and keep whatever the user types behind the scenes)

User avatar
Tchey
Prole
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:44 am
Contact:

Re: [LIKO-12 V0.0.5 PRE] An open-source pico-8-inspired game dev environment for love2d

Post by Tchey » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:32 am

Hello,

As a Linux user, what should i DL to try Liko12 The Reborn (v060) ?
https://github.com/RamiLego4Game/LIKO-12/releases/

User avatar
raidho36
Party member
Posts: 1685
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:00 pm

Re: [LIKO-12 V0.0.5 PRE] An open-source pico-8-inspired game dev environment for love2d

Post by raidho36 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:38 am

That would be the universal .love package, or the source code.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bio1712 and 5 guests