FÖNTGen makes pretty fonts

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
grump
Party member

Re: FÖNTGen makes pretty fonts

Post by grump »

Updated to version 0.3
  • Improved glyph bounds detection
    Fonts with broken bounds information are rendered correctly now.
    This change also generates more efficient font files with less space wasted.
  • Removed texture atlas options
    Due to the accurate bounds detection these options are not required anymore.
  • New supersampling option
    This feature makes it easier to add nuanced effects at smaller font sizes.
    It renders effects on large glyphs, then scales them down to the selected target size when saving the font.
  • New "Increase font weight" setting
    Use this to emulate bold fonts (to a limited degree).
  • Stroke can have alpha now
  • New option to make monospace fonts
  • Several UI improvements and bug fixes
  • Support for symlinks in file picker
    Symbolic links weren't displayed before, now they are.
  • Fixed a crash that occured when the stroke option was enabled and disabled again
  • Fixed reversed bottom left/right glyph color
  • Fixed key repeat bug in Nuklear
Starting with double click on fontgen.love should now work on Linux too.
mr_happy
Citizen

Post by mr_happy »

Double-click to start does now work on my Linux box :D

Two more little points...

1 Is it worth having numerical values change when mouse button is held down on triangle thingies?
2 I set a stroke value of 6 as a test and there's a gap between the character and the stroke:
Screenshot at 2017-11-10 17-16-23.png
Screenshot at 2017-11-10 17-16-23.png (10.02 KiB) Viewed 4669 times
(ignore the artefact at the bottom, it's he selection tool when I grabbed a screenshot in Gimp)
grump
Party member

Post by grump »

mr_happy wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:26 pm1 Is it worth having numerical values change when mouse button is held down on triangle thingies?
Would be nice to have, but I couldn't find a way to make Nuklear behave that way.
2 I set a stroke value of 6 as a test and there's a gap between the character and the stroke:
Stroke algorithm is shit, will implement a better one soon.
fox
Prole

Post by fox »

can you add, import text file functions? the input is too slow
thx :)
grump
Party member

Post by grump »

fox wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:16 pm can you add, import text file functions? the input is too slow
Are you talking about the example text for the font preview? How much text do you want to put there, and why?
fox
Prole

Post by fox »

grump wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:26 am
fox wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:16 pm can you add, import text file functions? the input is too slow
Are you talking about the example text for the font preview? How much text do you want to put there, and why?
i say 'additional' field.now,i want to enter chinese or japanese but it's too slow .because the characters very many
about my english,real sorry, i'm chinese
grump
Party member

Post by grump »

I see the problem and I agree that it's a serious shortcoming.

I did not consider complex writing systems with huge numbers of glyphs when I made the tool. The glyph selection tool is not suited for this. Annoyingly, not even copy/pasting the glyph string is possible due to missing clipboard support in the Nuklear UI lib.

Unfortunately, due to me being busy with other stuff, I can't give a timeline for the release of the next version. Since it's not exactly a popular tool, it has very low priority for me.

To solve your problem with the current version: some kind of a macro/automation tool (e. g. AutoIt for Windows) that is able to send key presses to applications might work for you.
fox
Prole

Post by fox »

grump wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:08 pm I see the problem and I agree that it's a serious shortcoming.

I did not consider complex writing systems with huge numbers of glyphs when I made the tool. The glyph selection tool is not suited for this. Annoyingly, not even copy/pasting the glyph string is possible due to missing clipboard support in the Nuklear UI lib.

Unfortunately, due to me being busy with other stuff, I can't give a timeline for the release of the next version. Since it's not exactly a popular tool, it has very low priority for me.

To solve your problem with the current version: some kind of a macro/automation tool (e. g. AutoIt for Windows) that is able to send key presses to applications might work for you.
alright , thanks you for your advice :)