LöveZip, A zip compression library for LÖVE without any external libraries dependencies !

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
RamiLego4Game
Citizen

LöveZip, A zip compression library for LÖVE without any external libraries dependencies !

Post by RamiLego4Game »

Hello everyone,

I have created a zip compression library for LÖVE without any external (DLL/SO) libraries dependencies making it so easy to use.

I used zip.lua from LuaRocks, and a CRC32.lua library.

Patched zip.lua to use love.math.compress instead of lzlib/lua-zlib.
And modified CRC32.lua to work under LuaJIT and use bitop.

Oh, and a note: the path protection has been removed, so please provide the paths with '/' instead of '\', without any double slashes, and without a slash at the start.

Another note: The library doesn't scan sub-directories, but you can do that manually.

You can find the documentation in LoveZip/init.lua.

Usage Example:

Code: Select all

local zip = require("LoveZip")

function love.load()
  zip.zip("/Result.zip", "test1.txt", "test2.txt", "test3", "test3/test4")
end

function love.draw()
  love.graphics.setColor(255,255,255,255)
  love.graphics.print("Done",50,50)
end
And here's the final work: https://github.com/RamiLego4Game/LoveZip

Enjoy, give feedback if possible.
Last edited by RamiLego4Game on Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Nixola
Inner party member

Re: LöveZip, A zip compression library for LÖVE without any naive libraries dependencies !

Post by Nixola »

So what you're saying is, we can use .love files to make .love files?
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
RamiLego4Game
Citizen

Re: LöveZip, A zip compression library for LÖVE without any naive libraries dependencies !

Post by RamiLego4Game »

Nixola wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:36 pm So what you're saying is, we can use .love files to make .love files?
Yup, that was my main target when creating it, also for Windows we can easily append the data to the love.exe file, making it so easy to create love-release like using only love.
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

Not bad, but I was really hoping for a pure Lua implementation of "zlib_compress".
And I think you mean "native" not "naive".
IMO, "love.math.compress" runs via compiled C/C++ code, namely "native code".
A more accurate topic description would be
"A zip compression library for LOVE without any EXTERNAL dependencies".
The library doesn't scan sub-directories, but you can do that manually
If you're going to depend on the Love2D functionality, you might as well support this using love.filesystem.
RamiLego4Game
Citizen

Post by RamiLego4Game »

ivan wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:13 pm Not bad, but I was really hoping for a pure Lua implementation of "zlib_compress".
And I think you mean "native" not "naive".
IMO, "love.math.compress" runs via compiled C/C++ code, namely "native code".
A more accurate topic description would be
"A zip compression library for LOVE without any EXTERNAL dependencies".
The library doesn't scan sub-directories, but you can do that manually
If you're going to depend on the Love2D functionality, you might as well support this using love.filesystem.
Updated the topic name to say 'external libraries', thanks for this.
I patched zip.lua to use love.filesystem, but their code can only handle single directories, so I will modify it to support that.
yetneverdone
Party member

Re: LöveZip, A zip compression library for LÖVE without any external libraries dependencies !

Post by yetneverdone »

Wait, so it would be possible to make .exe file without needing the .dll and other files?
RamiLego4Game
Citizen

Re: LöveZip, A zip compression library for LÖVE without any external libraries dependencies !

Post by RamiLego4Game »

yetneverdone wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:51 pm Wait, so it would be possible to make .exe file without needing the .dll and other files?
You always need the DLLs, but injecting a .love to love.exe is easy in Lua, so you can create a release system in löve.
dusoft
Party member

Post by dusoft »

What's wrong with LOVE release? Lua code with few dependencies, but mature program:
https://github.com/MisterDA/love-release
RamiLego4Game
Citizen

Post by RamiLego4Game »

dusoft wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:31 pm What's wrong with LOVE release? Lua code with few dependencies, but mature program:
Compiling the required ZIP library is the hardest thing ever on Windows.
Rucikir
Party member

Post by Rucikir »

RamiLego4Game wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:52 am
dusoft wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:31 pm What's wrong with LOVE release? Lua code with few dependencies, but mature program:
Compiling the required ZIP library is the hardest thing ever on Windows.
Yep, that's why I've never provided binaries ;)
This is a cool project ! I will definitely check how it could be used by love-release.