Project: Coding Conversion

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
TurtleP
Party member

Project: Coding Conversion

Post by TurtleP »

Hello all,

I am making a game in Vb 2010 express, and was wondering if anyone who knew LOVE well enough could convert VB to LOVE. If you can, you get a cookie. But seriously, I'd love for someone to help me. It's not done yet, the game, but I'd like to see if the main menu and first level could be done.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: Project: Coding Conversion

Post by Jasoco »

Lua is very easy to learn and it should be pretty easy to figure out how to do the same stuff as you are doing in VB Express. That is as long as it's the old classic VB syntax and not the new VB.net style syntax.

Feel free to post code snippets from your VB game for advice on how to do it in Lua if you get stumped.

It's been years since I used VB. The last versions I used was VB 1.0 (OH MY GOD IT'S WINDOWS 3.1 COMPATIBLE!!!) and VB 6.0 Low-end (A gimped version of 6.0 that couldn't do anything cool and was not really all that good for creating games let alone stand-alone apps.) way back at the end of the 90's. I also used Visual Basic for DOS which was like a QuickBASIC with DOS GUI tools. (The kind of GUI that was created with ASCII characters)
josefnpat
Inner party member

Re: Project: Coding Conversion

Post by josefnpat »

Although a VB to Lua converter wouldn't be hard to make|find, it would be a waste of time.

Firstly because the graphics,timer, gui api is going to be completely different or non-existent.

Secondly, you would be using the converter as a crutch instead of just learning Lua. It's best to learn the love engine along with Lua, and then translate your VB application using the familiar love callbacks.
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push