Bridge Building prototype 0.1

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
iemfi
Citizen

Bridge Building prototype 0.1

Post by iemfi »

oops.png
oops.png (157.44 KiB) Viewed 9863 times
Hi guys,

I've been trying to make a bridge building game using the LOVE box2d engine. So far it hasn't really been cooperating, is there anyway to access the box2d settings? I need a way to make it less jumpy. Another problem is that when I set math.randomseed() to a constant, the next number produced is still different. Is it a bug or am I doing it wrongly? Lastly, is there a library or tutorial which handles saving and loading of games? Seems like a lot of work to handle it from scratch.

Anyway, attached is the game. Use wasd to move around and build bridges to get yourself over the water for each level. Build the ore extractor near ore to gain more resources (first menu tab). Build at least one anchor (second menu tab) on each side of the water (water is to the right) then build a deck to connect the 2 anchors and beams to support the deck. Then click simulate. Suggestions, especially on how the other aspects of the game should play are very welcome. :)

EDIT: Should be playable now! See how many levels you can complete! Completing levels allows you to research stuff. I really need ideas on where to take the rest of the gameplay.
Attachments
bridge_0.1.love
Love 0.8
(101.81 KiB) Downloaded 374 times
Last edited by iemfi on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.
coffee
Party member

Re: Bridge Building prototype

Post by coffee »

OMG! what's going on here? I'm very suprised. :)

EDITED: This is in early stages, but from what I saw it's a pretty nice promising "sim". Very interesting this project. In tech terms I felt some problems and graphical glitches when game starts. I will leave the technical comments and answers for the pros here.
iemfi
Citizen

Post by iemfi »

Thanks! :) What graphical glitches did you experience?
zipperipper
Prole

Post by zipperipper »

oh wow, very interesting, I didn't have any graphical glitches. it was kinda hard to figure out what i was doing, perhaps a tutorial?
I am eager to see where this goes!
Error 404, consciousness not found.
iemfi
Citizen

Post by iemfi »

I'll edit the post to include slightly more detailed instructions. I guess it's hard when my buttons aren't even very button like.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

I already suffered that problem just once with another love game. Let me see if I can explain it. I start your love and then for a few seconds (2-3) Love Window "presents" pieces/snaps of my desktop instead of presenting his own stuff. I think is something canvas/massive load related. btw i'm on OSX.
iemfi
Citizen

Post by iemfi »

Oh, that's my fault, it takes some time to make and draw the map which goes down some way (P key turns off the lighting for now). Need to make a main screen and loading screen.
middlerun
Citizen

Post by middlerun »

It doesn't run for me, I get this error:

Code: Select all

Error: [string "main.lua"]:247: attempt to call field 'setMeter' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	[string "main.lua"]:247: in function 'load'
	[string "boot.lua"]:1: in function <[string "boot.lua"]:1>
	[C]: in function 'xpcall'
iemfi
Citizen

Post by iemfi »

It uses Love 0.80, you can download that at www.love2d.org/builds.
rokit boy
Party member

Post by rokit boy »

I get an error about opengl... But I have thelatest version.
u wot m8