I Love Gameboy

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Technicolour
Prole

I Love Gameboy

Post by Technicolour »

This is a gameboy emulator I put together in Love, I did intend on adding sound but I never got around to it and have moved onto different projects. If there's any interest, I might add sound. It started as a gameboy emulator I wrote for gmod and then ported to love, the love version has considerably advanced and should play most commercial and game demos without any issues (other than lack of sound). Speed is decent (and often too fast) although there can be slow-downs if there's too much going on on screen (Drawing pixels every frame is rather slow with love, so I only draw changed pixels).

It requires LoveJIT.

Usage: Change line 124 in gameboy.lua to point to the rom, eg: local ROMstring = love.filesystem.read( "roms/oh.gb" )

If you have any questions or are curious about emulation or would like to learn about emulation please ask away, it's an interesting subject!

Incase you have any trouble, here's the love version I use. I run it via dragging-and-dropping as running the .love can cause issues with a rom file in the .love file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31490251/LoveJIT.rar
Attachments
I Love Gameboy.zip
(29.62 KiB) Downloaded 969 times
Last edited by Technicolour on Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArgyleEyes
Prole

Re: I Love Gameboy

Post by ArgyleEyes »

sweetdeal ill check it out. I was thinking the other day about how well a love gen/snes would work.
*ofc id prob still use "regular" emus anyway
♥, #_#
Delibrete
Prole

Post by Delibrete »

For those who want an idea of what it looks like, I uploaded a quick video to show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... ycvSHvoAPk

*edit*

Personally I think this is awesome, you should continue with it. That way we could package single roms with the emulator and you could distribute them.
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

Technicolour wrote:This is a gameboy emulator I put together in Love, I did intend on adding sound but I never got around to it and have moved onto different projects. If there's any interest, I might add sound. It started as a gameboy emulator I wrote for gmod and then ported to love, the love version has considerably advanced and should play most commercial and game demos without any issues (other than lack of sound). Speed is decent (and often too fast) although there can be slow-downs if there's too much going on on screen (Drawing pixels every frame is rather slow with love, so I only draw changed pixels).

It requires LoveJIT.

Usage: Change line 124 in gameboy.lua to point to the rom, eg: local ROMstring = love.filesystem.read( "roms/oh.gb" )

If you have any questions or are curious about emulation or would like to learn about emulation please ask away, it's an interesting subject!

Incase you have any trouble, here's the love version I use. I run it via dragging-and-dropping as running the .love can cause issues with a rom file in the .love file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31490251/LoveJIT.rar
Do you know, whether it runs with the love-webplayer?
Delibrete
Prole

Post by Delibrete »

SiENcE wrote:
Technicolour wrote:This is a gameboy emulator I put together in Love, I did intend on adding sound but I never got around to it and have moved onto different projects. If there's any interest, I might add sound. It started as a gameboy emulator I wrote for gmod and then ported to love, the love version has considerably advanced and should play most commercial and game demos without any issues (other than lack of sound). Speed is decent (and often too fast) although there can be slow-downs if there's too much going on on screen (Drawing pixels every frame is rather slow with love, so I only draw changed pixels).

It requires LoveJIT.

Do you know, whether it runs with the love-webplayer?
Oh man that would be awesome
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

It seems that the "bit" library is only included in LuaJit and not the official Love2D 0.8.0 build !? Best would be to include a lua implementation of these functions.
Delibrete
Prole

Post by Delibrete »

SiENcE wrote:It seems that the "bit" library is only included in LuaJit and not the official Love2D 0.8.0 build !? Best would be to include a lua implementation of these functions.
It would be cool to play emulated games online through love. I'm impressed with this emulator with what it can do.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

It only runs in my osx with slime's JIT version. Since "Oh isn't there need a replacement. What kind of rom I need? It can emulate a "commercial" cartridge or do I need to use a homebrew demo?
EDITED: By other words just need to know some compatibility list.

EDITED2: It's this Oh? http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=54175

EDITED3: It should be! dont' even have to rename rom!
WORKS GREAT! CONGRATZ! First Love real emulator?
Averice
Prole

Post by Averice »

Remember seeing this on Facepunch back when it was a 3D2D Gmod thing, Still epicly awesome, nice job dude.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

2.png
Ok, don't work so great. A lot of "trail" gfx problems but it+s a start! :D