My Adventure Game Engine - Making Way For Adventure Engine 2

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: My Adventure Game Engine (NEW DEMO ON PAGE 20! 6/17/10)

Post by Robin »

Ah, that was it. I keep forgetting how to fire the boomerang. :P
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

V because it looks like a boomerang. Well, not really. Either way, in the future the weapons will be restricted to two keys and you'd switch between them like Zelda. This way you won't have to hunt for keys.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Well, I have a targeting system in place. It's buggy but it works. But since the battle system isn't optimized yet it doesn't matter. Still, the game is able to return the angle between the player and enemy, find the distance, and if you move when targeting you will circle the enemy like in Zelda. If you move too far away you will untarget them too. I need to add in thrusting attacks and better side to side movements.

Hopefully in time it'll all fall into place. Of course, I don't have some nice sprites to go with this.

Scenery now has a "z-index" where if it's a 1 it draws below and a 2 draws above the actors. I am doing this in lieu of sorting for depth for now.

Been playing around with Bezier Curves. I hope to use them for certain things, like a boomerang that doesn't just move straight and come straight back.

I also plan on making it so you can target people and certain objects like the signs like in 3D Zelda's too. Right now it's just enemies.

I need to draw all the NPC's and player and certain enemies from 8 different angles though. I just don't have the artistic ability.
Virox
Citizen

Post by Virox »

Great work :) Keep it up.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Hmm, Boomerangs and Bezier Curves don't work as well as I had thought. I forgot that the player can move after he throws it. So I ended up with a boomerang that moved nicely around the curve, but returned to where the player used to be. There doesn't seem to be a good way to use curves for a boomerang yet. Oh well. I still plan on making them work great.

Also, I was a Grade-A moron. I was racking my brain trying to figure out why my framerate was so low when it used to be so high. Especially on my brand new much faster computer. I was running around trying to fix code, remove extraneous stuff, optimize things..

Then just a few minutes ago I saw what I did. I had changed love.timer.sleep from 1 to 10. So it was keeping my framerate in the 30s to 40s. OF COURSE! So I changed it back. Now it runs smoothly like a cloud. Especially with my new Scenery feature. Whoo!
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

Stop using tinypic for the screenshots, just upload them to the forum as attachments.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

thelinx wrote:Stop using tinypic for the screenshots, just upload them to the forum as attachments.
You know, you're right. Are you behind some weird blocker? I know at work they use a blocker that only blocks Tinypic for some silly reason. I will use Attachments from now on.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

No, tinypic removed them.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

No they didn't. Which ones? The original ones on the first page? I removed those myself. I remove screenshots that are so out of date. TinyPic doesn't remove my images. I do.

Those original images are so old they wouldn't even look like the current version at all.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

In that case we want new ones..