My Adventure Game Engine - Making Way For Adventure Engine 2

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: My Adventure Game Engine - GIT friendly since 2010!

Post by bartbes »

You can mess around with the conf files, but easiest is just doing a checkout, it will automatically set the source as the default.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

It would be so much easier if I could link my GIT to my DropBox and just keep my project in there. I hate having to actually do work for this.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

Jasoco wrote:It would be so much easier if I could link my GIT to my DropBox and just keep my project in there. I hate having to actually do work for this.
I have my git and hg projects in Dropbox. It is great.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

TechnoCat wrote:
Jasoco wrote:It would be so much easier if I could link my GIT to my DropBox and just keep my project in there. I hate having to actually do work for this.
But do you still have to Commit the changes? I'd want it to sync all my changes every time I save and have GIT take care of the comparing of each version and offering different version control without me having to do it myself. I never need to program on anything other than my main computer so putting it in DropBox doesn't really make sense for me unless it can actually be linked.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

Jasoco wrote:
TechnoCat wrote:
But do you still have to Commit the changes? I'd want it to sync all my changes every time I save and have GIT take care of the comparing of each version and offering different version control without me having to do it myself. I never need to program on anything other than my main computer so putting it in DropBox doesn't really make sense for me unless it can actually be linked.
Just do git init, you don't need github to use it. You can do it all locally in dropbox. You don't have to push either then.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

You'll still need to commit changes for it to be useful. You could probably have a cron script to automatically do nightly commits or something.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

slime wrote:You could probably have a cron script to automatically do nightly commits or something.
This isn't as useful as manual commits.

It is more pronounced if you collaborate, but even if you work alone, frequent commits is a way to undo any changes with large precision. Committing once each day kind of defeats that.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Making some good progress. It's not much yet but it's so refreshing to start from the ground up and just reprogram parts back in as I go.

Prototype so far:
7oXmf.png
7oXmf.png (32.21 KiB) Viewed 228 times
Same basic world. Map scrolls with the player centered. Maps can be as big as you want. (The one above is 100x100 with a 200x200 collision grid) Object-based scenery system like before. (Flowers and crates) With tiles for the ground. Scenery can be placed on one of 3 levels. Always below the player, on the same level as the player and always above the player. Same concept. Run through all scenery and add ones near enough to the player to the pool, sort the pool then display it all on screen.

My problem with my original Adventure engine was that I tried to do too much at once. I tried to create a story while creating the engine, and everytime I wanted to change the story it just became a mess because the story was just temporary anyway. And I kept trying to change the focus of the game. It's best to make a prototype world that demonstrates everything the engine can do and add the story later once all the parts are in place.

Goddamned crates! Why are they always in video games? lol
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Awesome. If you make it clean enough, I think that many others will be interested in making games with it (including me).
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Another nice thing is by setting a few parameters you can set the screen area specifications to be whatever you want. In the screenshot above I have it set to 320x200. Then the screen is set to 2x scale. If you press Tab, it will cycle through 1x,2x, 3x, 4x, 5x, fullscreen, etc depending on the size of your screen. I could set the draw area to 640x480 if I wanted to. Or 1280x800 and it would scale fine. The only problem is the speed. Even at 640x480 it is slooooow. So I like to stick to 320x200 which is old-school DOS style. I could do 320x240 like Cave Story, but 320x200 is perfect 16:10 ratio and fits on many widescreen displays perfectly. I could then set it to 320x180 and shave off 20 pixels to fit on 16:9 displays or add the extra 40 pixels and fit on 4:3 displays. It would even work in vertical mode if you needed it to. I plan on making sure the engine is aspect ratio agnostic. So you can use whatever you want and not worry about it fitting on your screen. Even if it's 160x144 GameBoy style. As for the speed in larger resolutions, I have to look into it. I'd hate for it to not work well with 1:1 pixel fullscreen. But if it doesn't, at least it works great at older smaller resolutions.