My Adventure Game Engine - Making Way For Adventure Engine 2

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
napco
Party member

Re: My Zelda style adventure engine (DEMO NOW AVAILABLE)

Post by napco »

in game, but it's very strange... some time ago i had the same problem with my game, but i can't remember what was the problem... bah... this stupid Windows... I'd like to have a Mac instead, but in italy it is too expensive!
Evil Telephone
Prole

Post by Evil Telephone »

I'm running Vista 64-bit. 'D' causes a Windows-level crash, not the LOVE blue screen.

Code: Select all

Faulting application love.exe, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x48d51ea5, faulting module MSVCR80.dll, version 8.0.50727.4053, time stamp 0x4a594c79, exception code 0xc000000d, fault offset 0x00018b15, process id 0x10e4, application start time 0x01ca32e3bc0b8dee.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I have to get a Windows computer and try to debug the debug. Find out exactly what line is causing it.

Maybe Rude and the gang can help out since they also use Windows and this is their program. Something is causing it. But not a runtime error. An actual crash.

Edit: I'm sitting in front of dad's Windows PC (An old Dell that came before the Cores were even introduced and it runs pretty fast.) trying to figure it out.

Well, I can't figure it out. I even disabled stuff. But I don't have time to putz around in an OS that doesn't like me. Too much trouble just to create the ZIP file then copy it to the memory stick, eject it and place it in the Dell, then try to launch it, press D only to have it crash, then remove the stick, do another try with something else. Forget it. It's obviously a problem with the engine, not the coding. I hope to hear from rude and friends soon.

The error is exactly where Telephone said. In MSVCR80.dll. Why Microsoft has a VCR from 1980 is beyond me. ;)
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

draw.lua:244

Code: Select all

debugData = debugData .. "" .. os.date("%D %I:%M:%S%p", os.time() - 4*60*60) .. "\n"
This line causes the Windows environments to crash.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

That doesn't make sense. All it does is return the current time.

Oh well, it's not used in game. I would have used os.time to record the time the game is saved, but will leave it out for now until this is fixed. Why would it do that in Windows but work fine in OS X? Different LUA libraries?
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Jasoco wrote:The error is exactly where Telephone said. In MSVCR80.dll.
From what I gather with a quick look through the Googlescope, it seems to be a true quality Microsoft product. ;) How they managed to crash time() is beyond me.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Don't ask me. Seriously. It can't even return the current time without freaking out. Thanks, MS. I wonder if this is even something the LÖVE team can even fix. Since it's a third party DLL. And is apparently widely used. A Google search turns up a lot of problems with it, yet a lot of things use it.

Glad the same thing doesn't happen on OS X. It would have had me ripping my hair out trying to figure out where the problem was.

I really would have liked to use it though. For saving the current time in the save file. Oh well. (Current time being different than play time)
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

Whoa, wait. Bartbes: didn't you encounter something like this before?
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

php.net wrote: Not all conversion specifiers may be supported by your C library, in which case they will not be supported by PHP's strftime(). Additionally, not all platforms support negative timestamps, so your date range may be limited to no earlier than the Unix epoch. This means that %e, %T, %R and, %D (and possibly others) - as well as dates prior to Jan 1, 1970 - will not work on Windows, some Linux distributions, and a few other operating systems.
The above applies to Lua os.date too. No crash if you remove %D (tested in love-20090906-9e20498a4252).
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

I can confirm I had the same problem
btw the 80 is for version 8.0 AKA 2005
and i use windows!

EDIT: can't believe I wrote that, I HAVE windows, I use it for games, but that's it. I use linux.
Last edited by bartbes on Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.