My Adventure Game Engine - Making Way For Adventure Engine 2

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Jasoco
Inner party member

NEW DEMO RIGHT HERE!!!

Post by Jasoco »

Good. Good. I'm glad. Images are fine, but I'd hate to have to make all my Quads power of 2 too.

This is the longest topic on the forums. I just checked. Second place is the Avatars: Obey topic by two pages. I'm kinda impressed, and happy that you all are so interested in my project and are giving me the will to keep it going. Thanks everyone!
Adventure.love.zip
Well, here it is. The new demo. I am sorry to say that I decided to jump into larger (Taller) "actors" sooner than I wanted to. (I wanted to add them next time) So the NPC's and player all look extremely out of place and the player's attack is a hack job right now. I just wanted to get something in place. The player sometimes seems too tall, and other NPC's were just stretched by 1.5x. The player's sprites take up a 96x96 area on the image sheet because I want some freedom for creating. I probably only need that size on the attack frames and not the walking. I'll fix that later. As such, some things are scaled way too small now. The player is now taller than 32 pixels so doors and buildings look like they were designed for Disney World's Main Street. In time it will work itself out.

NOTE: DELETE all the associated files in your Love save directory before launching to prevent conflicts. Do this practice each time I release a demo as things change a LOT. DELETE them. Start fresh.

ALSO: If you are going to play a lot, make sure to press S right after the "Conversation" to save your game so you don't have to watch the script every time. I know some people complained about that. S saves the game anywhere you are.

There's also some other bugs too. Graphically. Because I shifted some stuff around on the "tile" sheet (Which now holds both tiles and Scenery) before removing them from every map as a tile. (Unless I get to it before I post this)

Scenery works amazingly. Try it! Walk around the trees! I love it!

Most fonts are now TrueType for convenience sake. Also, I miss being able to set the letter spacing in image fonts. What happened?

It'll all come together in time. This is what demo's and prototypes are for.

Oh, and the editor. Press E during the startup logo to go to the editor. It's not finished. You can't add scenery, so the maps now look barren. If you save a map, it will be placed in the "Save Directory" (On OS X this is in ~/Library/Application Support/LOVE/Adventure Game in a sub folder matching the path where the original is in the game archive.) and will NOT replace the original for obvious reasons. You can modify the map to try it out, then load up the game and see your changes. In time this will be more seamless with the ability to go back and forth as well as warp the player to your own custom map right from the editor. Remember, if you mess up, delete the map. You can also screw around with scenery by taking a look at the "Post" LUA files in the Maps directory. They go with the associated maps and add stuff after the fact.

In time, maps will be streamlined and rely less on tiles. (I hope to get it down to a single layer if not two eventually with everything else being scenery) One thing to note, in the outside maps, there is no grass tile. (Not counting the scenery decoration) The grass color is a background color set in the "post" files for those levels. You currently cannot set that from the editor. I am working on it. The editor has a long way to go. Also, maps can technically have a name, I just haven't gotten to changing them yet from numbers.

The editor also cannot resize maps yet.

Oh, and the Editor has an Undo function. One level though. Press U to undo the last action. (It simply saves the undo when you mouse down before making any changes.)

Press D to show debug info. Once to show text, again to show more detailed color coded information including collisions and tile checks and ID's of certain objects. This slows the game a little, but it's for debugging!

Press A to spawn a bunch of money.

Press E to spawn some enemies in random empty tiles.

Press Z to target the closest enemy. When targeting the controls are wonky. Sorry. The Zelda 3D style targeting system doesn't translate as well to 2D. I have to work on it. When targeted, the boomerang is the only weapon that goes towards the enemy. I hope to have arrows doing this too soon. And I want to make bombs carryable so I can throw them anywhere, including at a targeted enemy.

Press V to throw the boomerang.

Press B to drop a bomb.

Press X to fire an arrow.

Also, I know about all the bugs, but you can tell me of them if you want. NPC's have a Z-index problem as their base anchor point is not in the same place as the player or enemies. Easy fix, but time consuming so it'll wait for later. NPC's warped to other maps flash for a frame on screen in their new location for some silly reason. Enemies disappear when scripts run. (Easy fix, NPC's did the same thing before I fixed them.) And so on...

Enjoy!
Last edited by Jasoco on Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: My Adventure Game Engine (NEW DEMO ON PAGE 27! 6/28/10)

Post by Robin »

Oh, nice!

One question, though... all the apostrophes look like commas. Is there any reason for that?
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Yeah. Apparently it,s a shitty font. I guess I,ll switch back to Georgia.

Edit: So many bugs like to crop up just as I fix others. My pushable objects function is broken now because I decided to make all switches sprites too. That has occupied the last three hours of coding. Two of those were chasing down bugs with image display.

I want to redo pushable objects anyway. I want to make objects that you can drop into a scene that can be pushed, pulled and destroyed. Like Zelda which has: Pots that can be pushed, pulled, picked up, smashed. Grass that can be destroyed (Cut). Blocks that when pushed activate switches. Once I get those in place I won't need my primitive push switch (The barrel) functions.

My sprites are so ugly. :( They're hard for me to look at as a perfectionist.
Luiji
Party member

Post by Luiji »

For simplicity, think of GIT as a way to backup your files onto the internet (ROFL firefox says I spelled that wrong, and firefox!), but the files are accessible by everyone.
Good bye.
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

For all you people trying to explain Git, the Git Reference link I posted actually has a chapter on that.

Go on, read it.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Work is coming along swimmingly. No, there is no GIT yet, stop asking. Been concentrating on the editor for the most part. I want it to have an easy to use editor that anyone can use. Eventually I'll want people to be able to upload their maps for people to play with. Who knows what the project will be when it is all said and done in about 5 years.

Here's a taste to wet your appetite:
Screen shot 2010-07-26 at 11.51.15 AM.PNG
Screen shot 2010-07-26 at 11.51.15 AM.PNG (14.15 KiB) Viewed 4388 times
It's all you get for now. The next demo, and possibly a GIT release, will be up, but not for a few weeks. I can't release it until it's perfect. And at this rate, it'll be perfect. It will be. Perfect.

I can't wait to show you what I've done. It's hard to not spill it all now. But it must wait. For now.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Blocky flowers!
Jasoco wrote:No, there is no GIT yet, stop asking.
:cry:
Jasoco wrote:I can't release it until it's perfect. And at this rate, it'll be perfect. It will be. Perfect.
That's how I felt when I first started using Git (and VCSes in general), but I think you'll find out that there are many advantages to release early and often.

I can't wait to tell you what they are. It's hard to not spill it all now. But it must wait. For now.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

Jasoco wrote:Here's a taste to wet your appetite:
My appetite has been whetted trying to figure out how to wet it.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Okay. I fail. Flurking GIT. Who came up with this stupid idea? It's not intuitive. Someone help me figure this crap out.

I'm stuck at this point:
mkdir LOVE-Adventure-Game-Engine
cd LOVE-Adventure-Game-Engine
git init
touch README
git add README
git commit -m 'first commit'
git remote add origin git@github.com:Jasoco/LOVE-Adventure-Game-Engine.git
git push origin master
When I try to do the push origin line, it says:

Code: Select all

error: src refspec master does not match any.
error: failed to push some refs to 'git@github.com:Jasoco/LOVE-Adventure-Game-Engine.git'
Am I supposed to use my email? Or theirs? This stupid site isn't clear enough! It's not working! WHY CAN'T I JUST HAVE A GUI! How do I clear all this poop out and start over?

BTW, I didn't do the first part. I kept my project where it is, and just CD'd to that folder because I'm NOT moving my project just because some stupid web site wants me to. I kept my project where it is in /Users/jasoco/Documents/Coding Projects/LÖVE/Adventure/. There's no reason it can't just use my already existing project folder so...

Also, it created an invisible file called .git in the folder. Invisible because it starts with a period. Was it supposed to be .git? Or should it have had a name too? Because the rest of the instructions seem to imply it needs to be named somethingelse.git. Not just .git...

If you can't tell, this is frustrating me to the point of anger.
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: My Adventure Game Engine - GIT is hard. Need help please

Post by Robin »

OK, let's see. It looks like you don't have the SSH agent set up (see http://help.github.com/working-with-key-passphrases/ if you haven't already).

As far as I can tell, you're doing nothing wrong otherwise.

Also, you can use Git without pushing to GitHub or any external site. I'd even recommend you to get some mileage with Git in the mean time.