Zoetrope, a starter kit for LOVE

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Compost
Prole

Re: Zoetrope, a starter kit for LOVE

Post by Compost »

klembot wrote:I *think* what you're seeing is caused by sprites existing at odd coordinates, e.g. (100.01, 100.298), but when drawn onscreen they snap to the nearest pixel. I tried it without snapping before and it led to odd display bugs, like gaps between tiles. I'm not sure if there's a better solution to this one, but I'm open to ideas.
That's possible... It seems to only be with sprites that I ran through an editing program and may have cropped to odd sizes...
Although I tried it on a different computer, seemingly without issue. Whatever it is, I got it to stop.

--

Is there any way to control the collision bounds of a sprite in zoetrope? A collision mask sort of thing. I played with the variables in the collide function in sprite.lua a bit... and made a smaller collision box. But the origins of the sprite are the same, so it's off center.
ultrasemen
Prole

Post by ultrasemen »

klembot wrote:This sounds like a Unicode issue. Can you file a bug at https://bitbucket.org/klembot/zoetrope/ ... tatus=open with the exact error message you're getting?
Done.
Codex
Party member

Post by Codex »

I'm still new to using modules and classes, but I still tried to isolate the debugger you made because it looked quite nice. After tinkering with it for a few hours, still no luck.

How do I rip it apart from all the other modules, because it seems like it's webbed together pretty well... :(

Something simple like,

Code: Select all

function love.keypressed(key)
if key == "tab" then
  debug = true  -- activate debugger
end
klembot
Prole

Post by klembot »

Compost wrote: Is there any way to control the collision bounds of a sprite in zoetrope? A collision mask sort of thing. I played with the variables in the collide function in sprite.lua a bit... and made a smaller collision box. But the origins of the sprite are the same, so it's off center.
I don't have any way to do a collision mask per se, but sprites' onCollide() handler receives the amount of x and y overlap between the two sprites, so it's reasonably easy to only have collisions trigger when there's, say, a 10-pixel overlap.
Codex wrote:I'm still new to using modules and classes, but I still tried to isolate the debugger you made because it looked quite nice. After tinkering with it for a few hours, still no luck.

How do I rip it apart from all the other modules, because it seems like it's webbed together pretty well... :(
This would be kinda hard to isolate entirely because I depend on the rest of Zoetrope to handle input and display. In particular the text input part took some time to get right. util/debug.lua is the meat of it, but you'll see references all over to other parts of Zoetrope.
ModernPixel
Prole

Post by ModernPixel »

Can someone please aid me in solving a slight issue I have with my program?

I'm implementing a customizable player system where I can choose between different images for each part of the character (shoes, shirt, etc). I'm wondering how I can have one Player class which includes all of the image animations running at once.

Thanks!
klembot
Prole

Post by klembot »

I released version 1.3 last night -- here's the changelog, but mainly this release overhauls timers and tweens to be simpler to use. I've also put together a swank new web site (if I do say so myself) and created a discussion group for people to get help and share their projects...

ModernPixel, sorry I missed your message. I think your best bet for the player object would be to implement it as a group, with individual sprites for each of the parts. I'd set the parts to be nonsolid and then add an invisible sprite that is solid to act as a hitbox.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Nixonite
Prole

Post by Nixonite »

I've been looking at the website for this after I found this library in the wiki page. I then found this thread and I must say that the demo really impressed me. I've always wanted something this awesome, but I thought I would have to make it myself. Wooh, good thing for zoetrope.

I was really struggling with ATL and tile maps in general but I think this library might be my solution. Also I am really digging the other features like the input buttons. Those are awesome. <3
xXxMoNkEyMaNxXx
Party member

Post by xXxMoNkEyMaNxXx »

This is incredible :D
On the benchmark, the sprite count was only able to reach 2921, and I got 60 FPS the whole time.
:(

Your system is too efficient!
Uhfgood
Prole

Post by Uhfgood »

What are the limits to tiled map loading/rendering in Zoetrope?