Official "A Whiff of Steam", the LövelyRPG project topic

The LövelyRPG project, a community initiative aiming to create an open source role playing game.

Moderator: Lövely RPG Community

bartbes
Sex machine

Re: Official "A Whiff of Steam", the LövelyRPG project topic

Post by bartbes »

Yeah, that'll do for now, we need to experiment some more on implementing a good states system, but we still have some issues to test things in.
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

bartbes wrote:Yeah, that'll do for now, we need to experiment some more on implementing a good states system, but we still have some issues to test things in.
Ok, so when we merge in that branch, we will be ready to close this iteration - I will add notes about what we found out to documentation.

Oh, and btw - I was reading story plan that is soon to be contributed by our seems-to-be writer, looks really interesting I must say - some Chuck will post it soon :)

And one more thing, now that we are close to first iteration close, I'd like to hear some opinions on iteration two, should we split it into two iterations maybe, or extend with larger occluding objects already (those are planned for next iteration)? Any comments/ideas? :)

-- edit:

I already merged in fsm branch and closed ticket, this finished first iteration. Time for first small celebration :) And as celebration gift, small portion of story outline that was just pushed up :) Google Doc version.
willurd
Citizen

Post by willurd »

Sweet! I just read over the story outline and it does look pretty cool. It worked in pretty much everything from the focus document.
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

yeah, I liked it too - I wonder how it will evolve later :) Anyway, I pushed also new version with updated history including mention of ended iteration 1 and content of iteration 2 :) Soon will probably include what we learnt from this prototype into design, but there is still time :)

edit:

One more announcement though, lately I have plenty of university work to do - I'm preparing results for publication and it eats a lot of time. That's why I'm taking say about 3-4 weeks (I hope less) of slight vacations so I can do some more work :) It's not that I'm leaving you all - I will be checking forum, but no docs commits, merges or such - I can also reply to PMs with delay. All things requiring admin permissions will be done by xnellex (nelle on codaset), she helped a lot with design before we started and knows concept well - so if you have new contributions and don't have account yet, contact her instead of me (she has Chuck account just like myself). I will be checking this thread and be back to full speed when I finish uni stuff. See you later :)
kalle2990
Party member

Post by kalle2990 »

I've been created a logo for the game lately, any thoughts of it? :)

(Picture is a direct link to Codaset and might break later)
zachwlewis
Citizen

Post by zachwlewis »

I like the font, but it should be crisp (think "engraving on wood"). The background could use a slight bit more texture.
xnellex
Prole

Post by xnellex »

kalle2990 wrote:I've been created a logo for the game lately, any thoughts of it? :)
well, it definitely should be simpler. the key to design perfect logotype is simplicity. the less elements the better it looks. I like the "o" in "of", it makes the whole inscription "steampunk" already, it doesn't need any extra blur or sophisticated font. read the story outline. does the logo you created correspond with the atmosphere of it? imo it's overloaded with details. just take a look - http://www.analoga.com.uy/en/articles/l ... rules.html

nevertheless keep trying, I'm eager to see what you come up with :)
willurd
Citizen

Post by willurd »

kalle2990 wrote:I've been created a logo for the game lately, any thoughts of it? :)

(Picture is a direct link to Codaset and might break later)
IMO I think we should develop the game's style and story more before trying to create a logo. What I mean is, I don't see how we can come up with the right logo without having a really good idea at least of what the story is (not just a rough outline) and of the what the design and style of the game will be.

Maybe you might want to focus more of your effort on developing some concept art work?
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

willurd wrote:IMO I think we should develop the game's style and story more before trying to create a logo. What I mean is, I don't see how we can come up with the right logo without having a really good idea at least of what the story is (not just a rough outline) and of the what the design and style of the game will be.
I would say the “focus” document explains the story and theme enough in-depth to warrant a logo. I agree with xnellex it needs some changes before being used as the “face” of the project, but when not focussing on the details, I think this logo concept works well enough.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
kalle2990
Party member

Post by kalle2990 »

Okay, I agree with you. This is just a concept :)