Official "A Whiff of Steam", the LövelyRPG project topic

The LövelyRPG project, a community initiative aiming to create an open source role playing game.

Moderator: Lövely RPG Community

giniu
Party member

Re: Official "A Whiff of Steam", the LövelyRPG project topic

Post by giniu »

Hi Will - it is good to hear that you are still around - I think we will be able to provide required "kick" to get the project rolling again :)

@partymetroid: About writing stuff, yes - we need a writer - though we have one writer already, one that provided us with some plot background details and is now working on rest - if you want to help him, it would be great - If are willing to, I will send him your e-mail - or you can get in touch with him directly by standard means, that is PM on this forum. We have account here, you can check it all in our documentation - there are informations about who contributed already (including roles and nicks and names), how to get your contributions in and how to get in touch - I'm sure that one writer for such project isn't too much so your help is really appreciated. :)

Current version of documentation (built from fixed toolchain) is hosted on Google Docs (direct link to pdf dated 12.07.2010, 1.82MB).
partymetroid
Citizen

Post by partymetroid »

giniu wrote:Hi Will - it is good to hear that you are still around - I think we will be able to provide required "kick" to get the project rolling again :)

@partymetroid: About writing stuff, yes - we need a writer - though we have one writer already, one that provided us with some plot background details and is now working on rest - if you want to help him, it would be great - If are willing to, I will send him your e-mail - or you can get in touch with him directly by standard means, that is PM on this forum. We have account here, you can check it all in our documentation - there are informations about who contributed already (including roles and nicks and names), how to get your contributions in and how to get in touch - I'm sure that one writer for such project isn't too much so your help is really appreciated. :)

Current version of documentation (built from fixed toolchain) is hosted on Google Docs (direct link to pdf dated 12.07.2010, 1.82MB).
Alright, sounds good. :) I'm also a pretty decent visual artist. I can also probably work on game graphics.

Probably. :awesome:
partymetroid
Citizen

Post by partymetroid »

I sent you a PM, just in case you missed it. :)
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

The project hosting poll resulted in a tie between github and bitbucket. I removed other options and reopenned the poll so we can decide - i.e. there was one person who voted on sticking to codaset so I think this one person will decide :P It is still on same url: http://poll.fm/227ka

==edit:
OK, I think we have enough input already! 5 new votes, making 7:2 for github. I will prepare the move - I'd like to ask people that are in "table" on contributors page in documentation to provide nicks on github - PM them to me and I will take care of updating the docs.
Luiji
Party member

Post by Luiji »

Yay! You're going to use GitHub! YAY!!! NOW I WON'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH MERCURIAL'S STUPIDITY!

Edit: I've not meant to say Mercurial is stupid, I just mean I dislike it.
Good bye.
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

Luiji wrote:Yay! You're going to use GitHub! YAY!!! NOW I WON'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH MERCURIAL'S STUPIDITY!
well, on codaset you don't have either :) Anyway move from codaset to github should be quite easy - and of course it was community voice to do so, so we will move along :)

--edit:
Just remembered one interesting comparison of git vs mercurial - for those who have not read that before, Git is MacGyver, Mercurial is James Bond ;)
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

The move is complete, we are on GitHub now! The address is:

http://github.com/lovelyrpgcommunity/a-whiff-of-steam

Please note, that Github have less features in field of user types (only 3 types of users: not logged in, logged in and developer) and with ticket management (no way to set ticket owner, ticket milestone, etc) - but we can live with it thanks to comments and those features might come in future. We do not change developer roles, though now they are more honorary than functional as all developers have equal rights on page (except for Chucks who have password for main accounts). The good point is, that we can now host documentation on the page itself, in download section and we get more stable page.

Have fun :)

Oh, and if you find any mistake made during transition from Codaset to GitHub, please tell me so I (or other developer, i.e. willurd and bartbes are already added to project as developers) can fix it.
willurd
Citizen

Post by willurd »

Nice to see some activity in here again, and it's also great that the transition to github went smoothly. Thanks Andrzej for moving us over.
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

No problem. I think that there is some issue with github-twitter connection though, we did some stuff there already and no tweets. But maybe they appear with some delay, lets give them some time :)

-- edit:

as some of you seen, discussion about restricting movement directions to 8 directions we have sprites for appeared on github ticket 2 discussion. I think it is good question, so I made poll for it - what do you think? We should restrict directions of point&click movement to 8 directions we will have sprites for, or select nearest sprite (max +/- 22.5deg of shift in actual movement and animation)? Vote at http://poll.fm/23aff - the poll will end when we will have clear winner :)
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

I'm pretty sure support for the tweets is ending or has ended, due to twitter's switch to OAuth only, leaving the basic auth github used unusable. (And GitHub commented they were not going to replace it, because it doesn't fit in their model.)