Official "A Whiff of Steam", the LövelyRPG project topic

The LövelyRPG project, a community initiative aiming to create an open source role playing game.

Moderator: Lövely RPG Community

giniu
Party member

Official "A Whiff of Steam", the LövelyRPG project topic

Post by giniu »

We are taking off!

It took a lot of intensive work like planning and preparing design, but now - after exactly two months, yes - first poll in Making LÖVE together! was posted exactly on 18th January, around same time we post it here - we are finally ready to make our LövelyRPG Community project open to everyone!

You can already visit our project page: http://github.com/lovelyrpgcommunity/a-whiff-of-steam - it includes source repository (git), ticketing system, wiki, latest built documentation (including contributions, focus, project history, contribution guide and full license - soon more to come). You will also find there link to our Twitter account, we are automatically Twitting all changes and updates from Project page, and some manual Twitts from time to time. Finally there is also link to our Google profile, root for Google accounts of project, as you see we Buzz what we Twitt, and do manual Buzz from time to time. There is also GMail ang Gtalk account for contact and Wave account for meetings. All this in project wiki.

We must notice, that we aim this to be community project, owned and made by community, that's why we rely on your support - only together we can make it happen :)
Last edited by giniu on Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:53 pm, edited 12 times in total.
willurd
Citizen

Re: Official "A Whiff of Steam", the LövelyRPG project topic

Post by willurd »

Sweet. Can't wait to see the full docs.
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

willurd wrote:Sweet. Can't wait to see the full docs.
Me too :D Anyway, there wouldn't be much more design. There will be project history, rules, license (we worked quite some time on adjusting community definition for it - yes it will be The Lovely Community Public License :)) and all that not too much interesting stuff that needs to be done. Most of it is framework for future. At start, there will be just one single milestone with single task to get us started. We wanted to first publish, then work more, so it's already tracked by community - after all it's community project :)

Some stuff, like coding standards, were postponed for future, after first developer meeting. But to make developer meeting, we need developers - so first volunteers, that's why we publish only very short "warm-up" prototype iteration so soon - I think it would take 22-23 hours to complete most of plane for publishing, not sure about cover artwork, but it's detail so it can go in at any time in future.
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

So yes, as you see in first post we've already started! And this is first time we need your direct help :) Team for now consists of designers and concept artist, this was all that was needed to get it to current state. Now we need help from skilled coders!

That's why we created first milestone and ticket already, describing first prototype. I'll repost it here:
Prototype 1 (world map):Because exploration was picked as one of more important features, and adding features to game works better when game world is already here, it was decided that we start with prototyping game world display.

Iteration 1 (small hand made area):This iteration is very small, warm-up activity.

Our aim here is to adjust tile size and scrolling speed, also to see how designed view will behave in practice.

We should create part of world view, using only temporary tiles for now. Map should have different tile types and user should be able to scroll it at least one screen up, down, left or right in fluid, pixel based manner. Projection used should be trimetric, tile size could be around 1/8 of screen height and scrolling whole screen should take about 2 seconds.

For now we can assume 800x600 in windowed mode.
Please check appendix B about contributions, we are very open and even one accepted contribution can make you developer with write access in you are trusted forum user :) We would also like to mention, that later works will be more free, but we plan that team will decide on goals for next prototype, prepare specification and open tickets for it. Above description, following what we set in focus, mentions hand-made are - of course with temporary graphics, so don't worry, for now we accept even "programmer art" :). One last thing, already mentioned this but decided to remind all - this warm-up activity is here, because we need more developers on team, and we need some open, doable task to get more developers :)

If you want to volunteer, you will find all directions in documentation.

So - what do you think? :)
xnellex
Prole

Post by xnellex »

hell yeah! :D can't wait to see first prototype done :)
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

I doubt giving you a conf.lua is considered a worthy contribution?
kalle2990
Party member

Post by kalle2990 »

I am currently installing these git applications so I can start contributing :) Although, I am a little confused :?
willurd
Citizen

Post by willurd »

bartbes wrote:I doubt giving you a conf.lua is considered a worthy contribution?
Haha. You know what they say, "A journey of a thousand miles ...". :P
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

kalle2990 wrote:I am currently installing these git applications so I can start contributing :) Although, I am a little confused :?
GitHub has an excellent explanation of installing and using Git at http://help.github.com/git-installation-redirect

Oh, and guys:
http://codaset.com/lovelyrpgcommunity/a ... -wrold-map
Typo. Horrible, horrible typo. :P
Help us help you: attach a .love.
kalle2990
Party member

Post by kalle2990 »

Okay, thanks! :ultrahappy:
I got help there creating the key and entering it, but what I don't know is how to sync files or contribute to something. I keep getting this error
Error wrote:fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git