Official "A Whiff of Steam", the LövelyRPG project topic

The LövelyRPG project, a community initiative aiming to create an open source role playing game.

Moderator: Lövely RPG Community

kalle2990
Party member

Re: Official "A Whiff of Steam", the LövelyRPG project topic

Post by kalle2990 »

Just a quick question, I know how to commit to my own fork and push that. But how do I push to the original project, is that possible?
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

With downloading docs, it's issue with Amazon S3, try few times and you will download it. Codaset is working on it.

About building docs - you should symlink or copy docbook stylesheet, they usually come with some docbook package for most OSes. I use symlink docbookV4.5 -> /usr/share/xml/docbook/xml-dtd-4.5, and that comes from docbook-xml package from Arch Linux. Lack of this link might be why it fails, but I doubt it. Will investigate this somewhat later, for now just try few times and you will get that attachment :)
Just a quick question, I know how to commit to my own fork and push that. But how do I push to the original project, is that possible?
to do that, you need to be developer, when we add you to project and docs, you get permission to push to project. This is minimal size of security we decided to employ to protect integrity and stop spam flowing in :)
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

Code: Select all

(master) doc$ make
./generate.sh
dblatex -p ./style.xsl -s ./style.sty LovelyRPG.xml
/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dbtexmf/dblatex/grubber/util.py:8: DeprecationWarning: the md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead
  import md5
Build the listings...
/repos/git/a-whiff-of-steam/doc/LovelyRPG.xml:3: warning: failed to load external entity "/repos/git/a-whiff-of-steam/doc/docbookV4.5/docbookx.dtd"
]>
  ^
/repos/git/a-whiff-of-steam/doc/LovelyRPG.xml:3: warning: failed to load external entity "/repos/git/a-whiff-of-steam/doc/docbookV4.5/docbookx.dtd"
]>
  ^
XSLT stylesheets DocBook - LaTeX 2e (0.2.10)
===================================================
Processing Revision History 
Build LovelyRPG.pdf
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
entering extended mode
pdflatex failed
LovelyRPG_tmp.tex:658: Package keyval Error: label* undefined.
LovelyRPG_tmp.tex:667: Package keyval Error: label* undefined.
Error: pdflatex compilation failed
make: *** [all] Error 1
I'm on an Intel Mac running Snow Leopard. Any suggestions?[/quote]
try "make debug" to leave temporary files and look into LovelyRPG_tmp.tex - it will be in temp directory. It works for me so I don't know where problem is, might be some incompatibility on LaTeX side - I cannot say without file in question :)
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

Welcome our next developer - willurd's contribution of protoype skeleton was accepted and merged in, he will be taking care of Gameplay Coding. Because we have already 2 people's contributions, try making your changes merge nicely with current master branch, merge upstream changes before asking to pull from your repo, or rebase your changes.

Oh, and about attachment issue - it might help to refresh page or clean cache before trying to download it. Try few times and you should get it. I hope they fix it soon - if not maybe I will post pdf itself somewhere else for some time, before they fix it - like love2d.org wiki or something like that :)

If you want issue resolved faster, vote for it so provider takes care for it faster :) http://codaset.com/codaset/codaset/tickets/508

Oh, and untill this issue is not solved, use Google Docs published file - just to warn you, url would change with every build, but it will be posted in project wiki together with attachment. Hope it solves it and finally anyone can ready it :)
willurd
Citizen

Post by willurd »

Reading over the docs right now. Just have to say: wow! The docs are really great. It's obvious you put a lot of work into them giniu. Kudos.
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

Glad you like it, but keep in mind it wasn't just my work - also - it's only the beginning, the most interesting stuff will happen from now on, when we do first test of idea, and do more detailed design of gameplay and story, while prototypes happen.
willurd
Citizen

Post by willurd »

giniu wrote:Glad you like it, but keep in mind it wasn't just my work - also - it's only the beginning, the most interesting stuff will happen from now on, when we do first test of idea, and do more detailed design of gameplay and story, while prototypes happen.
Yea, that's true.

By the way, speaking of the first prototype, does anyone have any good links to information on trimetric projection and how exactly that's implemented in a game. I don't really know much about that. Thanks!
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

I wonder why MiddleClass was chosen to be the OO lib, not that I complain, I just want to know the reason.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

bartbes wrote:I wonder why MiddleClass was chosen to be the OO lib, not that I complain, I just want to know the reason.
You're sad there is no SECS in A Whiff of Steam? :joker:
Help us help you: attach a .love.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

You know that's not what I mean...