Official "A Whiff of Steam", the LövelyRPG project topic

The LövelyRPG project, a community initiative aiming to create an open source role playing game.

Moderator: Lövely RPG Community

kalle2990
Party member

Re: Official "A Whiff of Steam", the LövelyRPG project topic

Post by kalle2990 »

giniu wrote: Hmm, so you want position of concept artist? :) Well, why not, but artistic contributions are also checked for stylistic consistency, could you make something more industrial or dark looking? :)
Well, actually concept artist and gameplay coder. You were right about the darkness, I've just created http://codaset.com/kalle2990/a-whiff-of ... /name2.png which looks much better than the old one. More old style, a little more industrial and depth. Good enough?
willurd
Citizen

Post by willurd »

giniu wrote:nice nice :) Will check it more closely later today, one thing though - we should avoid formats like gif, which are not totally open. For this project we should prefer png, they also have transparency and loose-less compression. Same goes for fonts, we should use only open fonts and stuff :)

Oh, and one more thing - lets leave out rivers for now, I'd say rivers and roads could be drawn on top in different manner, planned them from iteration 2 or 3 :)
Cool. I replaced the gifs with pngs and removed the water tiles from the map and editor controls.
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

yeah, looks good on my pc :) one thing though, I opened it on my eee that have intel gfx card and it looked... well, not right - probably you should pad images or make them bigger with transparent border - I should add to documentation that we should support also older cards :)
willurd
Citizen

Post by willurd »

giniu wrote:yeah, looks good on my pc :) one thing though, I opened it on my eee that have intel gfx card and it looked... well, not right - probably you should pad images or make them bigger with transparent border - I should add to documentation that we should support also older cards :)
Could you paste a screenshot of what you're talking about? Also, what do mean by "pad the images"?
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

well, it's known thing - old cards get cloud of white and grey boxes, it's issue of gfx card working only with images of size that is power of two, that's why I mentioned it before, that we should remember about those users too :) check http://love2d.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f ... 82&p=11612 or http://love2d.org/forum/tracker.php?p=1&t=122 or others, plenty of topics since 0.6 - and tiles in your version are 155px × 70px, that's definitely reason of it looking bad with on-board intel card from laptop.
willurd
Citizen

Post by willurd »

giniu wrote:well, it's known thing - old cards get cloud of white and grey boxes, it's issue of gfx card working only with images of size that is power of two, that's why I mentioned it before, that we should remember about those users too :) check http://love2d.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f ... 82&p=11612 or http://love2d.org/forum/tracker.php?p=1&t=122 or others, plenty of topics since 0.6 - and tiles in your version are 155px × 70px, that's definitely reason of it looking bad with on-board intel card from laptop.
Oh I see. I'll update the tiles real quick.
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

don't rush on it, it's only for older cards, not really a must for prototype, but a must for final game :) Oh, and I must say, as I said in comment to code - I preferred old version of scroll, not along angles, but when pressing left moved screen left, not with angle along squares - worked more naturally I think. How does others feel about it? It's good we have two versions, lets compare them and decide :)
willurd
Citizen

Post by willurd »

giniu wrote:don't rush on it, it's only for older cards, not really a must for prototype, but a must for final game :) Oh, and I must say, as I said in comment to code - I preferred old version of scroll, not along angles, but when pressing left moved screen left, not with angle along squares - worked more naturally I think. How does others feel about it? It's good we have two versions, lets compare them and decide :)
Yea, it's definitely more natural when the screen just moves up, right, left and down when you hit those keys. I made the change because I was thinking about how the screen was going to scroll when there was a character walking on the map. I figured it would scroll along the map's axes and not along the screen's. It's not super important to have that right now though. What does everyone else think?
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

willurd wrote:Yea, it's definitely more natural when the screen just moves up, right, left and down when you hit those keys. I made the change because I was thinking about how the screen was going to scroll when there was a character walking on the map. I figured it would scroll along the map's axes and not along the screen's. It's not super important to have that right now though. What does everyone else think?
well, character would be iteration 2 :) Anyway, character would walk freely on map, I imagine that moving pointer to border or arrows would scroll. I think we should use point'n'click movement, also lots of mouses have 2 scrolls, we could use that later to scroll mouse, that way on touchpad with gestures we would be able to naturally move the map - would be better on computers I'd say. Eventually both - arrows and clicks for walking, but then moving left would move left, not along tiles - tiles are here to keep track on projection mostly and make borders look natural.

To sum it up, we wouldn't restrict movement to tiles and move character tile at time, unless in fights and even then not necessary. More like in chrono cross movement or other later jrpg's from era. I'd say we should move character more like in baldurs gate or similar rpg's, at least that's how I planned to describe it for iteration 2 of first prototype

so you already know what iteration 2 will be about, we will add character, some grass, one mid-size stone and one road sign - to see how drawing order behaves, test foliage placement and so. Iteration 3 will add trees with large amount of leaves, we should see test out what will be best way to show player behind tree. Then we should add home, later on we should allow player to enter home to finally allow him to change floors... but this is work for at least 5-6 iterations, for now lets do what is described - you have the point though, I didn't described exactly how it should scroll, you got me here :)
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

Oh, one more thing :)

I want to hear peoples opinion on one thing - we need to somehow support different resolutions and screen proportions. I'd say we should abstract most of it, using 4x3 proportion as standard and if someone have wider screen, show more map horizontally. What do you think? We need some nice, abstract solution to deal with this stuff :)