Official "A Whiff of Steam", the LövelyRPG project topic

The LövelyRPG project, a community initiative aiming to create an open source role playing game.

Moderator: Lövely RPG Community

partymetroid
Citizen

Re: Official "A Whiff of Steam", the LövelyRPG project topic

Post by partymetroid »

willurd wrote:Guys, we took a vote as to which projection we should use. We've made two tiny prototypes so far; that's hardly enough to make an informed decision about switching projection. And no one has even tried making assets in the current projection yet (except me, who made the block art used in the current prototypes -- and it wasn't that hard). So far the entire discussion has been based on heresay.

How about we finish a few prototypes first? Or iterate on the one we already have? If it gives you vertigo, don't assume it's the projection. Maybe make some new assets. Can't? Find some and scale/shear them to fit the projection. But development is about iteration; iteration is what's going to provide the feedback loop that will answer most of our questions. Case in point, the first prototype -- I think it went a ways to proving trimetric projection is doable for this game. We might find that it's not, but that hasn't been proven yet. It hasn't even been tested. So far the evidence is: 1) the first prototype works with the projection, and 2) other games use trimetric project; both lead to the conclusion that we should proceed as planned.

That being said, if anyone wants to actually create an isometric (or any other) prototype for comparison, I think that is perfectly OK.
We can probably make the art for it. :)

[edit] Cheekiness aside, I'll try to make some sprites for trimetric projection. If I can't do it, then all I can say is "I can't do it." But at least it'll add some credence to my and Rhyne's argument. ;)
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

willurd wrote:Guys, we took a vote as to which projection we should use. We've made two tiny prototypes so far; that's hardly enough to make an informed decision about switching projection. And no one has even tried making assets in the current projection yet (except me, who made the block art used in the current prototypes -- and it wasn't that hard). So far the entire discussion has been based on heresay.

How about we finish a few prototypes first? Or iterate on the one we already have? If it gives you vertigo, don't assume it's the projection. Maybe make some new assets. Can't? Find some and scale/shear them to fit the projection. But development is about iteration; iteration is what's going to provide the feedback loop that will answer most of our questions. Case in point, the first prototype -- I think it went a ways to proving trimetric projection is doable for this game. We might find that it's not, but that hasn't been proven yet. It hasn't even been tested. So far the evidence is: 1) the first prototype works with the projection, and 2) other games use trimetric project; both lead to the conclusion that we should proceed as planned.

That being said, if anyone wants to actually create an isometric (or any other) prototype for comparison, I think that is perfectly OK.
Thanks Will, but after all that's community project. I knew that community project is complicated thing, but expected it to be less complicated when we stormed trough initial design with 10 questions to focus methodology and it worked that well. Regarding this projection issue, I give up, I have better things to do than fight with community to not change decisions made by same community. It wasn't easy to find trimetric projection that works and now they change their mind with few (or none) who voted for it defends it now. And that's why, I'm passing the right to decide here to community one more time, by revote:

POLL: projection revote

but the rules here are more strict than before, we cannot afford weak decisions any more, we need clear winner and 20 valid votes with comments. Lets wait for it, we can design our next steps during this time, decide on paper how we implement stuff that is planned for next iterations of this prototype to not loose time. Whoever wants to, can continue working, but I will wait to see what projection we work in, I don't plan to write more code that I will have to rewrite few days after that.
ouija
Prole

Post by ouija »

Not sure if this is the best place to enquire, but how does one go about becoming a contributor to this game? I've been browsing the git repo and I'd love to get involved.
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

ouija wrote:Not sure if this is the best place to enquire, but how does one go about becoming a contributor to this game? I've been browsing the git repo and I'd love to get involved.
Great to hear that. It's actually quite easy, just make something that is accepted. Prefered way for new contributions is trough pull requests on github. If you need more information, check documentation - it's in downloads on Github (LovelyRPG.pdf). It wasn't updated for some time, but will be after we finish current prototype iteration. Especially, there is Appendix B (contribution guide and project rules). We tried to describe it all there. Now that we have separate subforum, I think we will create sticky recruitment topic with link to those informations.