My Adventure Game Engine - Making Way For Adventure Engine 2

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
napco
Party member

Re: My Zelda style adventure engine (DEMO NOW AVAILABLE)

Post by napco »

Sooo... How's your game development going? Found a name for your project? I'd like to play a dungeon and defeat a boss in the next release ^^

By the way, i was playing with the boomerang in the first map and i've forgotten it spinning while teleporting... In the "monsters" map i couldn't use it anymore... If i'm not wrong it's because you've forgotten to reset weapons while teleporting (i've made the same mistake while programming a zelda game with rpgmaker...)!
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

By the way, i was playing with the boomerang in the first map and i've forgotten it spinning while teleporting... In the "monsters" map i couldn't use it anymore... If i'm not wrong it's because you've forgotten to reset weapons while teleporting (i've made the same mistake while programming a zelda game with rpgmaker...)!
Oh my. Good catch. You are not wrong. Seems the "boomerangActive" variable is not being set back to false if you don't let it return. Hahaha. Easy fix. So easy that I have fixed it. It is fixed.
napco wrote:Sooo... How's your game development going? Found a name for your project? I'd like to play a dungeon and defeat a boss in the next release ^^
Oh, I have big plans for the next demo. A dungeon complete with a boss. I also have a nice future plan for a more "integrated" main menu system. I don't want to give too much away, as I want it to be a surprise. Not sure if the new menu will make it to the next demo, but I hope the dungeon will. But that also means it'll be a little while before the next demo if I do that. While as in a couple weeks. There's still a bunch of features I need to put in before I can do what I want to.

I do have normal switches in place though. I need to add other kinds of switches though:

Impact switches (That activate when you hit them with a weapon of a certain kind)
Push switches (Where the switch moves one tile in the direction you push it - I already have a push system in place)

And a name? No. There will be no name. There will be no game. Not for a few years. This is engine time. And the engine will take a while to finish to release status. Then I have to come up with an idea for a game and story.
Evil Telephone
Prole

Post by Evil Telephone »

A few bugs for your consideration:

1. The lower the framerate, the farther the boomerang travels. If I spawn lots and lots of gems to really slow the game down, I can launch the boomerang all the way off the screen. It appears the boomerang function uses time instead of distance?

2. If you quit back to the menu from a game and then go back into the game, the screen scrolls all wild for a few seconds before returning to normal.

3. Select the 3rd save slot and press ENTER. Once in the game, press ESC and quit back to the menu. You will notice that the first slot has white text, but the blue bar is on the 3rd slot.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Evil Telephone wrote:A few bugs for your consideration:

1. The lower the framerate, the farther the boomerang travels. If I spawn lots and lots of gems to really slow the game down, I can launch the boomerang all the way off the screen. It appears the boomerang function uses time instead of distance?
Will look into it. It's the same reason NPC's move slower depending on the framerate too. Because it moves at a set pixel amount instead of using Delta Time which would have taken more work.
Teléfono Malvado wrote:2. If you quit back to the menu from a game and then go back into the game, the screen scrolls all wild for a few seconds before returning to normal.

3. Select the 3rd save slot and press ENTER. Once in the game, press ESC and quit back to the menu. You will notice that the first slot has white text, but the blue bar is on the 3rd slot.
Both were fixed immediately after the alpha was released. So don't fret my pet.
Avalon
Prole

Post by Avalon »

Any updates? I'm fairly interested in seeing what you do with this project. :)
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Time is limited these days. The last 30 days I've been spending most of my free time with my girlfriend. Not dead. Just resting for a little while.
Sardtok
Party member

Post by Sardtok »

One thing I don't quite like is having to hold down the boomerang button.
I find it to be quite unnatural that I can control the power of the throw long after I've thrown the boomerang.
I prefer how Zelda handled the boomerang.
Other than that the engine looks great.
rude wrote:
php.net wrote: Not all conversion specifiers may be supported by your C library … This means that %e, %T, %R and, %D (and possibly others) - as well as dates prior to Jan 1, 1970 - will not work on Windows, some Linux distributions, and a few other operating systems.
The above applies to Lua os.date too. No crash if you remove %D (tested in love-20090906-9e20498a4252).
None of those are standard C formats, just look up strftime.
So if the format string isn't part of ANSI C, you can't really expect Microsoft to add support for it (heck, they don't even support C99 as far as I know).
Here's a list of standard C/C++ strftime formatting codes (well, a description of the strftime function):
http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/clib ... /strftime/

Not sure what the ANSI C specification for negative time_t's are, except that -1 (one second before the epoch) is an error code meaning the time is not available.
So if negative times are supposed to be error codes, it makes sense they're not supported for formatting.

Still, it's weird that it results in a crash, it should have just ignored the formats. Not a very good implementation of the strftime function.
Take off every Zigg for great rapist.
Now, outgay that!
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

You don't have to hold down the button.
Sardtok
Party member

Post by Sardtok »

Jasoco wrote:You don't have to hold down the button.
Weird, I could swear it wouldn't move unless I held it, must have been collisions that were hard to spot.

Anyway, if you walk diagonally against a wall, the character animation isn't updated properly (it gets reset or something).
Also, there was an octorok off the map area (in the black area), that disappeared sometimes when the lightning struck, but it came back too a couple of times.
Is it supposed to be there?
Take off every Zigg for great rapist.
Now, outgay that!
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Those are well known bugs but the enemy outside the map bug would never happen in real world game scenario anyway since it's a "for, place a bunch of enemies at random points as long as it's an empty spot, next" type thing for now. The actual game would hypothetically have fixed enemy positions. Though technically you could use random positions if you want anyway. Since the game data is Lua based as well as the engine.

And the diagonal walk thing is silly. I just haven't put much thought into fixing it as much as I have the other bugs.