What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Larsii30
Party member

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by Larsii30 »

adnzzzzZ wrote:
Looks cool. What is the band called in the background. They are awesome ! :)
adnzzzzZ
Party member

Post by adnzzzzZ »

That band is this guy:

Starry
Prole

Post by Starry »

^ lol @ spark mandrill vid =D

found out the confusing way that x^y^z does not equal (y^z)^x because it is "right associative", oops >_>

also made these, working on the basics ill need later for that insane task I set myself a page of two ago. (I see that now. but that doesn't change anything..)
sinetablev2.love
there is a youtube vid linked in the conf file to what this is a replica of, basically copying basic...see vid
(1.55 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
powercurve.love
up down arrows bend the line, esc to quit, fullscreen intentionally because % based scaling included
(776 Bytes) Downloaded 163 times
these two basically burst to life from iterating a bunch of stuff and getting better at it, how do I print x (million? thousand?) sprites on the screen one every width of itself across, now I vaguely know =)
Jesus saves, everyone else takes full damage
Averice
Prole

Post by Averice »

Pretty happy with how this turned out, even if it was only started because I was bored.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Thought I'd throw together a little video on the progress of this thing it is that I am doing.

severedskullz
Prole

Post by severedskullz »

Jasoco wrote:Thought I'd throw together a little video on the progress of this thing it is that I am doing.

Seeing this makes me question why I'm having so many problems regarding FPS drawing simple circles and boxes on an I7 at 3.9GHZ and a Nvidia 650Ti.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

severedskullz wrote:Seeing this makes me question why I'm having so many problems regarding FPS drawing simple circles and boxes on an I7 at 3.9GHZ and a Nvidia 650Ti.
Have you tried posting your whole .love project and not just the code. I just looked at your thread. But it's just some code. I'd like to see the whole thing. Because if it still runs fast on other machines, then something is weirdly wrong with your machine.

I dunno because the program above is doing thousands of calculations and thousands of drawing calls every frame and rarely goes below 45FPS on a good day. And this is on a dual-core i7 2.4GHz with an Intel HD 4000 GPU under OS X.

Also note: This is under the LuaJIT version of Löve which is significantly faster than the normal version. But not so much as to explain your problem.
severedskullz
Prole

Post by severedskullz »

Jasoco wrote:
severedskullz wrote:Seeing this makes me question why I'm having so many problems regarding FPS drawing simple circles and boxes on an I7 at 3.9GHZ and a Nvidia 650Ti.
Have you tried posting your whole .love project and not just the code. I just looked at your thread. But it's just some code. I'd like to see the whole thing. Because if it still runs fast on other machines, then something is weirdly wrong with your machine.

I dunno because the program above is doing thousands of calculations and thousands of drawing calls every frame and rarely goes below 45FPS on a good day. And this is on a dual-core i7 2.4GHz with an Intel HD 4000 GPU under OS X.

Also note: This is under the LuaJIT version of Löve which is significantly faster than the normal version. But not so much as to explain your problem.
I'm trying to get to a point where I feel I am actually "ready" for it to be viewed. It is such a cluster**** right now because I quite literally started using Löve2D 3 days ago and I am still learning all the syntax and functions. Not really proud of the quality that I normally put out for something say... Garry's Mod. Right now I am at a satisfying ~330 without many ships but once I hit the ~2500 drawing mark things start to bog down to about 141. The "rough" mode that Boolsheet suggested made a hell of a difference.

Me not knowing where all this code is going also kinda makes me just feel like I am shooting in the dark... I don't know yet how the CPU/GPU is utilized so I am doing horribly in my optimizations.

Ill keep you informed on the other topic as not to derail this thread too much with all my noobish-ness.
Attachments
Basically it just looks like that. A small space sim where you conquer planets. The green dots are my ships, all the other colored dots are supposed to be stars.
Basically it just looks like that. A small space sim where you conquer planets. The green dots are my ships, all the other colored dots are supposed to be stars.
Terrae-4.png (14.86 KiB) Viewed 5410 times
NightKawata
Party member

Post by NightKawata »

bzLV2cZ.png
bzLV2cZ.png (77.94 KiB) Viewed 668 times
Mind you it's only in pre-alpha status though.
Metanet Hunter I is also getting a pretty huge update soon, which'll finish that up.
Last edited by NightKawata on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I view Python for game usage about the same as going fishing with a stick of dynamite. It will do the job but it's big, noisy, you'll probably get soaking wet and you've still got to get the damn fish out of the water." -taylor
master both
Party member

Post by master both »

NightKawata wrote:Image

Mind you it's only in pre-alpha status though.
I want this!!