"This game was made for a version that is ..."

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Engineer
Prole

"This game was made for a version that is ..."

Post by Engineer »

Hello!

I just registered here as a new member because I had a question. But first I want to tell you a bit about me how I got into Lua etc.
My programming started with minecraft, some of you definitely know, with the mod ComputerCraft. In short it is a mod that adds computers to the game which interpret the Lua Programming "Scripting" Language. At first, it was hard because I didnt know what I was doing, but I figured it out and I have quite some experience with Lua. Im not saying here that Im a pro, I have quite a bit of experience but Im open for learning moments and how to do things better.

That being said, I have got a little problem. Well, it is not that big of a deal, but Im wondering why it is occuring. I need to mention that I could not include the music folder, since there is a wonder like copyright'n'shit.

The goal of this program to just play songs in the music folder, but I need to figure out a way to do the GUI but that comes later. The thing is, currently Im getting this: Image

I have no clue how to resolve that, I mean I am using version 0.8.0. If you have any suggestions or cleanups on the code, go ahead!
Thank you for at least reading this, and click for the
music.love
Missing the music folder where all the .mp3's are!
(1.29 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
zip!
Ranguna259
Party member

Re: "This game was made for a version that is ..."

Post by Ranguna259 »

That error mean that the code was writen with another löve version in mind, for exemple if I use löve 0.7.0 code and load it in the 0.8.0 löve executable it shows that message, don't worry about it, it's just some code that was removed in the current löve version but is in use in the code you are trying to run.

To fix this you just need to go throught the code and find the modules that were removed in the löve version you downloaded and replace them with the newer ones.

EDIT: Welcome to the forum ^^
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

That particular error is happening because you have this line in your conf.lua file:

Code: Select all

t.version = "0.9.0"
Engineer
Prole

Post by Engineer »

Thank you very much slime and ranguna! I feel like a big dufus right now... Oh well, everybody makes mistakes, right?

But now Im at it, could you guys give me some coding styles which are very handy to have using this function system.
Im not used to only put the functions and not the game loop, there is love.run but I heard that is some stuff I shouldnt get into.
Some tips appreciated, and thanks again for you both :)
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

Welcome to the forum! :)

You can (if you have a windows computer) make a .bat file. I prefer to call mine 'play.bat'
Instead of zipping it and all that, you can simply double click this to execute it.

Make a new file called 'play.bat'. Then open it in your favorite code editor and type in the following line of code.

Code: Select all

@echo off
start "" "%PROGRAMFILES%\LOVE\love
Note that this is the default location. It is wherever your love was downloaded it when you installed it.

What sort of things do you want advice on? Libraries to use? Tabbing and such? Look on the 'General' section of the forum to see lots of spirited debate on certain styles. Ultimately, it's up to your preference, though.
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim