i dönt know höw 2 LöVE

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Obake
Prole

i dönt know höw 2 LöVE

Post by Obake »

But i want to learn. where do i start? I've been reading a bit in the forums and i want to build some games one day but i don't have much programing knowledge.
rhezalouis
Party member

[RLC]hi, obake!

Post by rhezalouis »

dear obake,

you could start with reading the getting started section of the current documentation http://love2d.org/docs/getting_started.html

or, you could see some examples at the previous documentation [though these examples are written for LÖVE 0.5.0, you could easily port the simple programmes to the 0.6.0 by yourself or with the help of the people in this forum. you could ask these people realtime on #loveclub@irc.freenode.net]. :megagrin:
Last edited by rhezalouis on Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aargh, I am wasting my posts! My citizenshiiiip... :o
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Re: i dönt know höw 2 LöVE

Post by Taehl »

Personally, I think learning a little Lua would be your best first step, instead of trying to jump right into a big project like a game. There's a bunch of great tutorials here, and this one looks pretty good too. If you don't want to install Lua on your computer, you can use the online demo to mess around / complete tutorials in.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
middlerun
Citizen

Post by middlerun »

rhezalouis wrote:or, you could see some examples at the previous documentation
Are the old examples still on there? I haven't been able to find them.
Obake
Prole

Post by Obake »

i managed to do the hamster tutorial but i went to the Lua site to read the guides there and i was COMPLETELY lost. i think i want to learn how many of the functions work first and save them all as a refrerence on my computer to look up later. good idea? any other suggestions?
Obake
Prole

Post by Obake »

thanks taehl for the links they are much more helpful
rhezalouis
Party member

[RLC]a response

Post by rhezalouis »

middlerun wrote:Are the old examples still on there? I haven't been able to find them.
which old examples are you looking for? there are numerous examples inside the module pages which are collected at the miscellaneous>example list. these examples are quite practical. if you are looking for the tutorials (which are one of the resources made me fallen in LÖVE), you could find it on the wiki http://love2d.org/wiki/index.php?title=Tutorials. :)

attached is an example browser for the LÖVE 0.5.0 [i don't remember where is the original url].
Attachments
browser.love
LÖVE 0.5.0 example browser
(72.42 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
Aargh, I am wasting my posts! My citizenshiiiip... :o
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: [RLC]a response

Post by Robin »

rhezalouis wrote:attached is an example browser for the LÖVE 0.5.0 [i don't remember where is the original url].
We don't have that for 0.6.0, do we? We should port the hell out of it.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
bmelts
Party member

Post by bmelts »

Someone tried that already.

But, I'm not sure how much of a success it was. There's a lot that needs to be changed (changing all the text drawing to love.graphics.print, switching the Animation example to use Quads, changing the values in the physics examples, etc.)
snake
Citizen

Post by snake »

anjo wrote:Someone tried that already.

But, I'm not sure how much of a success it was. There's a lot that needs to be changed (changing all the text drawing to love.graphics.print, switching the Animation example to use Quads, changing the values in the physics examples, etc.)
It was for an older Build of love 0.6 so it should run with some minor changes.
I will take a look at it and release a working version soon.