Concerned Joe

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Ranguna259
Party member

Re: Concerned Joe

Post by Ranguna259 »

OMG.. How to you make him move do you :applyForce or do you :setX ?
Yeah as I said I'm trying to code my own collision and every time I'm done there's a stupid glitch that teleports the player to god know where.. But I've found this post which explain how to do collision detection with something that looks like SAT in with AdobScript, good thing about SAT is that it tells you which side the player collided on, so I'm guessing that I won't have any problems with unwanted teleportaitions, if that doesn't work then I'm probablly gonna move to box2d.

(After a couple minutes trying to understand what you said): OHHHH NOW I GET IT ! Since Joe isn't a whole rectangle then the bugs that I got when I first coded with box2d wont happen, wow I got to say very VERY nice work guys :ultrahappy:

Still dunno how you are making him move :P
Last edited by Ranguna259 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.
Cpt. Dave
Prole

Post by Cpt. Dave »

this looks awesome!! :awesome:
crow
Party member

Post by crow »

OmarShehata wrote:
crow wrote:
Davidobot wrote: Also will you be porting this to Xbox PLEASE SAY YES lol or at lest android OUYA platform :)
I do actually think that this is completely programmed in LÖVE, correct me if I'm wrong.
That's right. We've poked around in Love's source, expecting we'd need to do some modifications but so far there hasn't been anything we needed to do that wasn't possible with Love.

As for porting, we'll worry about releasing to PC/Mac/Linux then see if we're still alive by then :P

We have no plans to make a kickstarter or any sort of funding campaign, (everything is currently funded by our own money and the flash game version of Concerned Joe), and yes, we're hoping to sell the game on Steam and whatever other digital distribution services we can get on.
crow wrote: I need to sit down and read your Blog but right now I am waiting for my wife to drop a baby ... not joking there I really am waiting to be a daddy baby was meant to be here 3 days ago lol
I hope all goes well with your wife!
Thanks, I am still waiting lol, and that is really good news about the app, keep it up and wow all in Love :) now thats grate, what IDE's and apps you using long side it.
Sir Kittenface
Möko IDE Codename (Erös) Returns Soon

I am dyslexic so if any of my replys confusing please just ask me to reword it as this will make things a lot easier for all parties lol.
OmarShehata
Party member

Post by OmarShehata »

crow wrote: what IDE's and apps you using long side it.
The only thing I'm using is Sublime Text 2. Xelu (the artist) uses a combination of Adobe Flash and Texture Packer to make the graphics. Xelu wrote a basic article about the process of exporting assets to use in the game here http://gamedev.tutsplus.com/tutorials/g ... re-packer/

And in the same vein, I've written an article about how our animation system works if anyone's curious http://gamedev.tutsplus.com/tutorials/i ... qus_thread
Ranguna259 wrote:Still dunno how you are making him move :P
In order to be able to fully control Joe's speed, and without compromising the stability of the movement (since setX is basically teleporting) I simply set Joe's velocity. This is for moving left and right. I do the same when you're jumping in order to give Joe a variable jump (the longer you hold the button the higher he jumps).

Aaaand, (final link, I promise) we've just finished a new in-depth blog post about how we made Joe's eyes dynamic (it was an interesting journey!) http://concerned-joe.com/devblog/i-c-u/
TurtleP
Party member

Post by TurtleP »

Amazing game! I watched the video, and even though it's in the early stages, it looks great! Keep it up! :awesome:
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

I found it interesting that you used the box2d physic system to make your collision. I wanted to give it another go and play around with it, I only have a little bit of experience with it from before. But when trying to recreate "slopes" from what I could understand from your posts, I ran into a problem, and recorded it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czpby-t1 ... e=youtu.be

I managed to make my "player" rotate instantly to the angle that the object it is colliding with has. however when I try to drive up a slope it completely bugs out. I am also moving the block with my own "velocity" rather than using the "apply force". Have you ever run into this problem and what did you do in order to overcome it?
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

Jeeper wrote:I found it interesting that you used the box2d physic system to make your collision. I wanted to give it another go and play around with it, I only have a little bit of experience with it from before. But when trying to recreate "slopes" from what I could understand from your posts, I ran into a problem, and recorded it.

I managed to make my "player" rotate instantly to the angle that the object it is colliding with has. however when I try to drive up a slope it completely bugs out. I am also moving the block with my own "velocity" rather than using the "apply force". Have you ever run into this problem and what did you do in order to overcome it?
That probabl happens because your player is a rectangle, Joe is not a rectangle, see more here
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

Ranguna259 wrote:
Jeeper wrote:I found it interesting that you used the box2d physic system to make your collision. I wanted to give it another go and play around with it, I only have a little bit of experience with it from before. But when trying to recreate "slopes" from what I could understand from your posts, I ran into a problem, and recorded it.

That probabl happens because your player is a rectangle, Joe is not a rectangle, see more here
Well, sure.. But the problem comes from colliding with 2 "floors" that have different angles at the same time. I just dont see how changing the body slightly would change that problem. Maybe im wrong though, going to do some more testing tomorrow.
OmarShehata
Party member

Post by OmarShehata »

Jeeper wrote: Well, sure.. But the problem comes from colliding with 2 "floors" that have different angles at the same time. I just dont see how changing the body slightly would change that problem. Maybe im wrong though, going to do some more testing tomorrow.
I remember running into the same problem. Changing the body shape shouldn't matter. How are you detecting when it's on a slope though? Because I always had similar problems when I would be getting the last body the player touched, so if he was standing on one horizontal ground, then moved slightly to touch a slope, now the game knows he is standing on a slope but he moves back..it was something like that.

If that isthe problem, then instead of getting the last thing the player touched, I add every contact object from the collision to an array, accompanied by the body that was touched, and I don't discard them until the contact stops touching. This makes things a lot more solid.
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

OmarShehata wrote:
Jeeper wrote: Well, sure.. But the problem comes from colliding with 2 "floors" that have different angles at the same time. I just dont see how changing the body slightly would change that problem. Maybe im wrong though, going to do some more testing tomorrow.
I remember running into the same problem. Changing the body shape shouldn't matter. How are you detecting when it's on a slope though? Because I always had similar problems when I would be getting the last body the player touched, so if he was standing on one horizontal ground, then moved slightly to touch a slope, now the game knows he is standing on a slope but he moves back..it was something like that.

If that isthe problem, then instead of getting the last thing the player touched, I add every contact object from the collision to an array, accompanied by the body that was touched, and I don't discard them until the contact stops touching. This makes things a lot more solid.
So if we say that the Player is currently standing on flat ground walking to the right. When he suddenly comes into contact with a 45% slope. At this point you don't tween the players rotation but wait until he is no longer colliding with the floor and only with the slope, and that is when we tween the player to 45%?

And thanks for your help btw :)