Spacing out

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.

What element would you like Space to focus on?

Story-telling
12%
Exploration
23%
Action (ship vs ship)
15%
Strategy (small scale)
16%
Diplomacy
9%
Conquest
9%
Trade
17%

Total votes: 94

kikito
Inner party member

Re: Spacing out

Post by kikito »

I actually didn't vote LefokoDFef, but the other two. Mostly because they are more gibberish than LefokoDFef.
When I write def I mean function.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I really like the flexibility of image fonts. I've created a couple for my game...

They're all based on VT100 with modifications. I'm especially proud of the larger font. And all are double-pixel size. (i.e. each pixel is 2x2 pixels in size. I only do this because I can't figure out a way to zoom up an image 2x the size without it blurring. In other words, I want Nearest Neighbor, not Bicubic, scaling.) If we ever get Nearest Neighbor scaling of images (If it's not already there in 0.6.0, I'm still on 0.5.0) I can cut my image consumption down significantly (Maybe) and just double up the images at runtime.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Yeah, nearest is in 0.6.0.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

TechnoCat wrote:Am I right to assume this is gibberish?
Yes.

The gibberish was a bit of a goof, I'll replace it with the next poll soon.
Jasoco wrote:I really like the flexibility of image fonts. I've created a couple for my game...
Yeah, image fonts are nice. But only if you are skilled in creating them, and I am definately not. So unless someone else has a good imagefont I can use, I'll stick with TTF for now.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

So hard to choose.... well, I was the first, minor victory.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

I was expecting the options to be some kind of codified poll, in order to test our intelligence.

Regarding the bitmap font, this might sound a bit cheap, but can't you just take one good looking ttf font and make it a bitmap? Just for the lulz.

I suggest giving a look at flocking in order to provide some basic strategy depth with an easy interface. I saw a game not long ago that used that kind of mechanism; it was an horizontal shoot-them-up in which you controlled a small fleet of ships instead of one single ship. The ships moved together and shoot together, but powerups were taken individually. You didn't have lives, the game ended when you ran out of ships. I've forgotten its name, there was a video too.
When I write def I mean function.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

kikito wrote:I was expecting the options to be some kind of codified poll, in order to test our intelligence.
Ah, that would have been fun. :rofl:
kikito wrote:Regarding the bitmap font, this might sound a bit cheap, but can't you just take one good looking ttf font and make it a bitmap? Just for the lulz.
kikito wrote:I suggest giving a look at flocking in order to provide some basic strategy depth with an easy interface.
Oh, I'm familiar with flocking, but using it for fleet control hadn't crossed my mind. Thanks for the suggestion!
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Robin wrote:
Jasoco wrote:I really like the flexibility of image fonts. I've created a couple for my game...
Yeah, image fonts are nice. But only if you are skilled in creating them, and I am definately not. So unless someone else has a good imagefont I can use, I'll stick with TTF for now.
Yeah, I guess they're not for everyone, since you can use TTF, but I think they give the game a more personal touch.

I would probably offer my fonts in 1x versions if people wanted them. They're nothing special and are built from VT100, a monospaced terminal font with no edge smoothing.

The thing is without kearning, image fonts are hit or miss. Some letters won't look right if they aren't kearned with the next letter which image fonts can't do. But done right, you won't need kearning.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

This is what I have now. Not much yet, but it's coming together nicely.
KqzoPhr
I won't explain what you can do in this small demo, but you can figure it out for yourself. ;)
Attachments
space.0.0.love
.7z compressed
(15.7 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
Avalon
Prole

Post by Avalon »

Robin wrote:This is what I have now. Not much yet, but it's coming together nicely.
KqzoPhr
I won't explain what you can do in this small demo, but you can figure it out for yourself. ;)
I lost my ship :(.

Got it up to 1,000 KM/s though!