Turtle: Puzzles

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Re: Turtle: Puzzles

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

Brilliant.
That project is just brilliant, I just tried it. It some pretty awesome mechanics. I know (from experience) it isn't easy at all to get some of the advanced features of platformers working right, but it seems you're definitely on the right track.

Though, I noticed, from my quick peek at that, an odd thing with the character animation.
Stand on the top of a ladder, then jump. When the character falls backs on the ladder, the last frame of the jump animation should be the idle-standing one...IMHO.

Out of topic, have you considered Gitting it ?
Ps: Well, Josefnpat definitely eager to vaporize this. :crazy:

Keep it up!
TurtleP
Party member

Post by TurtleP »

Roland_Yonaba wrote:Brilliant.
That project is just brilliant, I just tried it. It some pretty awesome mechanics. I know (from experience) it isn't easy at all to get some of the advanced features of platformers working right, but it seems you're definitely on the right track.

Though, I noticed, from my quick peek at that, an odd thing with the character animation.
Stand on the top of a ladder, then jump. When the character falls backs on the ladder, the last frame of the jump animation should be the idle-standing one...IMHO.

Out of topic, have you considered Gitting it ?
Ps: Well, Josefnpat definitely eager to vaporize this. :crazy:

Keep it up!
Never considered github, honestly. I'm not sure what it is other than a file hosting site. I mean, it's easier for me to just use my dropbox. In other news, still no fix for the crash on level 4, but I'm really trying to find why it's doing a crash where it is. :|

However, 1.0.2 will have the fix for crates trying to go past various stuff, like doors.

EDIT: v1.0.2 is up, and I fixed the problem with loading levels 4 and 5. Crates don't go past doors or walls either. Also, the update prompt gives you the specific version for the update, so you won't have an issue knowing which one you downloaded!
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

It's a very good and fun game!
Comments:
If you press space at the intro all of the boxes for the sprites are shown. May want to disable that... :P
Again at level four I had two doors. When I got to the door I still had the graphics problem at 1118 of game.lua

Still a great game! Keep it up!
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
TurtleP
Party member

Post by TurtleP »

davisdude wrote:It's a very good and fun game!
Comments:
If you press space at the intro all of the boxes for the sprites are shown. May want to disable that... :P
Again at level four I had two doors. When I got to the door I still had the graphics problem at 1118 of game.lua

Still a great game! Keep it up!
I forgot to update the OP. Let me do that, sorry! :shock:

The game should be asking for an update regardless, since it's not v1.0.2 in the OP.
Mermersk
Party member

Post by Mermersk »

Very nice! 10 months of work ant it really shows :crazy:
TurtleP
Party member

Post by TurtleP »

I'm currently working on v1.1, which includes the level editor (which is having issues loading maps for some dumb reason) and some new entities. I updated the achievements to not include collecting all the hats, since it shouldn't be needed to collect them, and also removed the hat packs for the store. If you guys have suggestions for entities, "store items", or achievements let me know :)
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

Errors
Real
The first level has no music.
The character floats in the air once clearing a level if you jump.
On the third level I die three automatically one time.
You have the console enabled.
You can stand on top of the bat on level 5 and not get hurt.
On level 6 I was stuck in the ground and died after a little while.
When I try to restart I just get the game over screen.
The menu music doesn't restart when it's done.
You may want to remove the 'ermigerds' level pack.
You lose your hat when you climb up ladders.
Opinion
On the second level, I do believe it is impossible to get the first emerald thing.
You can't get one of the emeralds on level 3 either. (It's the one above the door)
The hat is drawn over the box. In my opinion, it would look more natural if the hat were behind the box.
You should be able to see why you got the achievement in my opinion.

Ideas:
Store Items:
Body reskins-
Bodies to match hats.
Turtle Recall Pack-
Hat looks like a soldier helmet or something.
Body looks like it has a spec. ops. suit
Has a gun that can shoot using space (may be over powered, but still could be cool.)
Tortoise Mode:
Unlockable/Whatever
You cannot go in water for a very long time for extra challenge! (I don't know the limitations of this, as I haven't gotten past level 6)
Achievements:
Tentative Turtle- Go down in your shell 5 times in a single level.
Turtle Tableau- Spend 5 standing still on a single level
Lethargic Leatherback/Loggerhead- Spend 10 minutes on a single level
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
hatninja
Prole

Post by hatninja »

Lemme say a few things as i worked on some parts of turtle puzzles other than graphics too.
davisdude wrote: With special turtle green color!
On the second level, I do believe it is impossible to get the first emerald thing. I actually made that level, it's not impossible to get.
The character floats in the air once clearing a level if you jump. I think that was intentional
You can't get one of the emeralds on level 3 either. (It's the one above the door) Also possible
When I try to restart I just get the game over screen. Reported to turtle myself
You may want to remove the 'ermigerds' level pack. What mappack again?
You lose your hat when you climb up ladders. Intentional. I would have to make special hat quads for the climbing animations, it's not a big problem though!
You should be able to see why you got the achievement in my opinion. Options i think...
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

On the second level, I do believe it is impossible to get the first emerald thing. I actually made that level, it's not impossible to get.
You can't get one of the emeralds on level 3 either. (It's the one above the door) Also possible
Maybe I'm just bad... :P
The character floats in the air once clearing a level if you jump. I think that was intentional
Why would that be intentional? In my opinion, it looks kinda weird.
When I try to restart I just get the game over screen. Reported to turtle myself
Glad that's taken care of. :)
Misread it. It is the ermagids pack. It has no icon, either, btw.
You lose your hat when you climb up ladders. Intentional. I would have to make special hat quads for the climbing animations, it's not a big problem though!
You're right, it's not a big problem, but it would make the game look more polished and wouldn't be terribly hard to do. Instead of making a whole new sprite you would only have to have a sprite of the hat backwards and draw it over the player based on their x and y when they climb a ladder.
You should be able to see why you got the achievement in my opinion. Options i think...
I don't see it in options.
TurtleP
Party member

Post by TurtleP »

davisdude wrote:
Maybe I'm just bad... :P
Why would that be intentional? In my opinion, it looks kinda weird.
Glad that's taken care of. :)
Misread it. It is the ermagids pack. It has no icon, either, btw.
You're right, it's not a big problem, but it would make the game look more polished and wouldn't be terribly hard to do. Instead of making a whole new sprite you would only have to have a sprite of the hat backwards and draw it over the player based on their x and y when they climb a ladder.
I don't see it in options.
Well, the ermigerds thing was a test mappack (I forgot about it AND the console.. heh :death:) Anyway, I'll take a look at the rest of your report. The backwards hat idea isn't that bad of an idea, but it'll be a pain, imo (not laziness, just not worth the time).

EDIT:

The first level has no music. inentional, because i don't know what kind of music there would be anyway
The character floats in the air once clearing a level if you jump. I believe I fixed this, I'll double check (v1.1)
On the third level I die three automatically one time. I'll check this, not sure if it's just you or what
You can stand on top of the bat on level 5 and not get hurt. Fixed for v1.1
On level 6 I was stuck in the ground and died after a little while. Please, elaborate what you did
When I try to restart I just get the game over screen. Fixed for v1.1
The menu music doesn't restart when it's done. How so? Again, elaborate
You may want to remove the 'ermigerds' level pack. Done
You lose your hat when you climb up ladders. As said by my spriter, it was intentional

Opinion
On the second level, I do believe it is impossible to get the first emerald thing.
You can't get one of the emeralds on level 3 either. (It's the one above the door)
The hat is drawn over the box. In my opinion, it would look more natural if the hat were behind the box. Why? The hat's covering the turtle's face
You should be able to see why you got the achievement in my opinion. Explain in further details?