Official "A Whiff of Steam", the LövelyRPG project topic

The LövelyRPG project, a community initiative aiming to create an open source role playing game.

Moderator: Lövely RPG Community

giniu
Party member

Re: Official "A Whiff of Steam", the LövelyRPG project topic

Post by giniu »

bartbes wrote:I doubt giving you a conf.lua is considered a worthy contribution?
Hmm... well, rules don't say it isn't :P But well, common sense might say something else. I don't know - you can try, I think that for so trusted forum user it might even be enough :P
willurd wrote:Haha. You know what they say, "A journey of a thousand miles ...". :P
You got it just right :)
Robin wrote:
kalle2990 wrote:I am currently installing these git applications so I can start contributing :) Although, I am a little confused :?
GitHub has an excellent explanation of installing and using Git at http://help.github.com/git-installation-redirect
I must say I really recommend first two chapters of Pro Git book, it's really good in my opinion - and for Windows users, Tortoise Git is also nice tool - should be first results if you google it
Robin wrote:Oh, and guys:
http://codaset.com/lovelyrpgcommunity/a ... -wrold-map
Typo. Horrible, horrible typo. :P
thanks, fixed already :) You can check it all over and over again, and something always gets in... shame on me :P

Anyway - I see git makes it bit harder, I will try to put some quick tutorial for it later. About contributions, as long as you are not developer, you don't have to use it. If you hover over "source" menu, there is "Download source" and you can get latest sources as zip for example, and send us patch - or even new and old version of files - though as said, if you use git it would make integration of your changes a lot easier - and if you are promoted to developer, you should get used to it. For contributions with git I recommend "forking" repository and asking us to pull your changes when they are ready. I think this is best way to do stuff with codaset and most other git hosting providers :)... must write it all down somewhere in wiki probably :)
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Well, I was looking for a 'pull request' button as github has, but it seems to just not exist. Well, consider this a pull request? Am I in? Am I in? Am I in? Am I in? Am I in? Am I in? (copy-paste FTW)
willurd
Citizen

Post by willurd »

kalle2990 wrote:Okay, thanks! :ultrahappy:
I got help there creating the key and entering it, but what I don't know is how to sync files or contribute to something. I keep getting this error
Error wrote:fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
I recommend reading this and/or this. Start from the beginning, and don't skim :)
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

bartbes wrote:Well, I was looking for a 'pull request' button as github has, but it seems to just not exist. Well, consider this a pull request? Am I in? Am I in? Am I in? Am I in? Am I in? Am I in? (copy-paste FTW)
pull request, yeah - you can do one anyhow, best by comment in ticket it should go to, but forum works too, e-mail, PM or any other way of bugging "Chucks" or developers also work. Bugging contributors wouldn't as they don't have access themselves, so they cannot push your changes :)

And about your contribution - well, why not - we haven't got anything else till now so yeah, contribution accepted :P So... you might pick role you want, I'd say "Engine Coder" or "Gameplay Coder" maybe? :) - send me somehow role you want and your real name/surname so I can add it to docs if you want (I prefer to know who I work with, but if someone really really don't want to share, we can think of something). Account will come with developer permissions, all Developer permissions are same so it really doesn't matter much, you can check in appendix B.2 what permissions come with those accounts ;)

Oh, btw - I pulled your files but moved them later to right place, as described in appendix B.3.2 :P

And officially, cheer for first developer recruited from contributions - congratulations :D
Last edited by giniu on Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

willurd wrote:
kalle2990 wrote:Okay, thanks! :ultrahappy:
I got help there creating the key and entering it, but what I don't know is how to sync files or contribute to something. I keep getting this error
Error wrote:fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
I recommend reading this and/or this. Start from the beginning, and don't skim :)
yeah, first link is even mentioned in documentation, appendix B.4, just like link to Pro Git book (chapters 2-3 should be enough for normal usage and understanding basics of working with git) - particular last few days was polishing this appendix, if you remember it was on list to do for quite a while :)
willurd
Citizen

Post by willurd »

I've started working on the prototype because I'm eager to get this off the ground. I've got a couple questions though, because I've never done a map that wasn't just basic rectangular tiles.

1. How does trimetric projection work? Do you actually create the tiles looking like they're already in trimetric projection, or do you create them as regular rectangular tiles and then perform the projection when you draw them on the screen?

Ok, so really only one question :). I figure you'd actually create the tiles already in trimetric projection and then place them on the map wherever they go, but I just don't want to be doing a lot work going in the wrong direction.
kalle2990
Party member

Post by kalle2990 »

Oh, this is just my luck.... :x
I don't have very much experience of cmd (I'm 15 and wasn't born in the age of MS DOS), so I never used cd a-whiff-of-steam... :cry:
Now that I found out that it works when I use it, things are working much better :D
willurd
Citizen

Post by willurd »

kalle2990 wrote:Oh, this is just my luck.... :x
I don't have very much experience of cmd (I'm 15 and wasn't born in the age of MS DOS), so I never used cd a-whiff-of-steam... :cry:
Now that I found out that it works when I use it, things are working much better :D
Glad to hear it :)

On another note, I'm having trouble building the docs. Here's what I get:

Code: Select all

(master) doc$ make
./generate.sh
dblatex -p ./style.xsl -s ./style.sty LovelyRPG.xml
/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dbtexmf/dblatex/grubber/util.py:8: DeprecationWarning: the md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead
  import md5
Build the listings...
/repos/git/a-whiff-of-steam/doc/LovelyRPG.xml:3: warning: failed to load external entity "/repos/git/a-whiff-of-steam/doc/docbookV4.5/docbookx.dtd"
]>
  ^
/repos/git/a-whiff-of-steam/doc/LovelyRPG.xml:3: warning: failed to load external entity "/repos/git/a-whiff-of-steam/doc/docbookV4.5/docbookx.dtd"
]>
  ^
XSLT stylesheets DocBook - LaTeX 2e (0.2.10)
===================================================
Processing Revision History 
Build LovelyRPG.pdf
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
entering extended mode
pdflatex failed
LovelyRPG_tmp.tex:658: Package keyval Error: label* undefined.
LovelyRPG_tmp.tex:667: Package keyval Error: label* undefined.
Error: pdflatex compilation failed
make: *** [all] Error 1
I'm on an Intel Mac running Snow Leopard. Any suggestions?
kalle2990
Party member

Post by kalle2990 »

I even got problems downloading the docs in .pdf format :?
willurd
Citizen

Post by willurd »

kalle2990 wrote:I even got problems downloading the docs in .pdf format :?
Yea, same here:

Code: Select all

<Error>
  <Code>AccessDenied</Code>
  <Message>Request has expired</Message>
[snip]
</Error>