Official "A Whiff of Steam", the LövelyRPG project topic

The LövelyRPG project, a community initiative aiming to create an open source role playing game.

Moderator: Lövely RPG Community

giniu
Party member

Re: Official "A Whiff of Steam", the LövelyRPG project topic

Post by giniu »

bartbes wrote:I wonder why MiddleClass was chosen to be the OO lib, not that I complain, I just want to know the reason.
It wasn't, it was choosen for first prototype, because it was offered, in prototypes we can change anything anytime - we can make one prototype on one and, second on other one, and choose one that better suits us for engine, when performance and flexibility will matter, so lets say we will evaluate both :)
willurd wrote:By the way, speaking of the first prototype, does anyone have any good links to information on trimetric projection and how exactly that's implemented in a game. I don't really know much about that. Thanks!
Check http://www.significant-bits.com/a-layma ... videogames and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trimetric_projection - check examples, under the house there are already projected tiles. All that is left to do is some measuring or drawing on top and then creating already projected tile on square image with 0-1 transparency. Tricky part is alignment and choosing right size, but I think it can be done when we do lines by hand, i.e. do 2 and 3 pixel steps manually one after another or some, to not let gimp do it. We should create one tail template, and atrists will build on top of white tail. I think it could work that way - maybe not best, but might be enough for prototype :)

I mean something like this, or something else, looks white - right? So I added green one. probably someone could pick better size though, but it almost fits :) Oh, and I say we leave more vertical space on top of tile, so artist can make grass or so, then we draw from top to bottom and grass could be on top of other tiles, we could use certain (set) number of pixels on some sides, to make it correct, 2^n length. Just idea though, anyone have something better? :)
Last edited by giniu on Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Note for future: if I use the Joker smiley, which I rarely do, the whole post up until that smiley is not related to reality in any way, and was posted just for a play on words. :) :joker:
Last edited by bartbes on Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Improved it
Help us help you: attach a .love.
willurd
Citizen

Post by willurd »

bartbes wrote:I wonder why MiddleClass was chosen to be the OO lib, not that I complain, I just want to know the reason.
It's just what I've been using for my projects. It was the first OO lib I tried and it worked and had everything I needed so I didn't bother looking any more. We don't have to use it though. We should explore all options.
willurd
Citizen

Post by willurd »

I'm no artist, but I took a crack at creating some tiles for people to use when working on the first prototype. I pretty much used the same angles as in Fallout 2 because I like the way it looks. I figured this was alright, even if it's just for the prototype. I made sure all the sides match up on the tiles so they can actually be tiled in a map correctly.

Because there's a 3 file limit, I attached a sample tile, a zip with all the tiles, and a sample map so you guys can see what the tiles look like when they're put together. The zip includes textured and solid color versions of "grass", "stone" and "water" so devs have at least a little variety to work with if they want.

So are these tiles ok? Or are we looking for something else?

Edit: Made the tiles pngs instead of gifs, per giniu's request.
Attachments
A sample tile
A sample tile
stone_textured.png (5.61 KiB) Viewed 5998 times
tiles.zip
All of the tiles
(24.82 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
An example of how the tiles look put together
An example of how the tiles look put together
sample_map.gif (147.75 KiB) Viewed 6045 times
Last edited by willurd on Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

I'd say it would do for first prototype, unless we find better angle. I think it would be best to throw it in, and when we give it a shot with some temporary foliage scaled to proper size and maybe some road signs to catch 3'rd dimension, we will be able to say if this angle fits us - for now, I'd say it's OK unless anyone has better idea/angle/size :)
kalle2990
Party member

Post by kalle2990 »

giniu wrote:
I wrote:Just a quick question, I know how to commit to my own fork and push that. But how do I push to the original project, is that possible?
to do that, you need to be developer, when we add you to project and docs, you get permission to push to project. This is minimal size of security we decided to employ to protect integrity and stop spam flowing in :)
And how do I supply for a gameplay coder? ;)
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

kalle2990 wrote:And how do I supply for a gameplay coder? ;)
simply :) Check current version of repo - http://codaset.com/lovelyrpgcommunity/a ... eam/source - especially http://codaset.com/lovelyrpgcommunity/a ... oto/proto1. Then prepare something we can merge into this, if stuff you do integrates well and looks OK, then it will be merged into code. Stuff merged into code = contribution made. In documentation, especially check B.4 and B.5 about contributions and becoming developer :) In your case, that is lots of posts on forum, it should be enough to bring in one contribution. I looked into your fork of repository and didn't noticed anything new other than bartbes conf and main, that later was modified by willurd.

So, when you have your contribution ready, contact any developer - you can contact Chucks, or other Coders. If Your code is pushed into official repository (and this can be done also by already accepted coders in case of coder contributions), someone with Chuck role (like me or xnellex) will contact you to get your personal details into documentation and give you developer permissions on project page. Hope it explains it :)
kalle2990
Party member

Post by kalle2990 »

Thanks for the explaining :)
The main.lua and conf.lua added before was just a thing I did to update my working dir and in the meantime test if the pushing worked.. Anyway, I did a little example of the name.png if you want to check it out ^^
willurd
Citizen

Post by willurd »

giniu wrote:I'd say it would do for first prototype, unless we find better angle. I think it would be best to throw it in, and when we give it a shot with some temporary foliage scaled to proper size and maybe some road signs to catch 3'rd dimension, we will be able to say if this angle fits us - for now, I'd say it's OK unless anyone has better idea/angle/size :)
Sweet.

So I whipped up a scrolling map tonight and added a little bit of editing functionality in there as well just for kicks. It's not the cleanest code I've ever written, but I wasn't worrying about that too much :) I checked it into the repo and also attached it to this post. It seems pretty close to what we're looking for for the first prototype. It can scroll for a whole screen in any direction (which takes about 2 seconds) and the tiles are about 1/8 of the height of the screen (didn't quite work out to 1/8 for width). Is this close to what we're looking for? Thoughts?

Edit: Added zooming to the map/editor.
Attachments
Map (with editor).love
Prototype 1 - First try
(31.84 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

kalle2990 wrote:Thanks for the explaining :)
The main.lua and conf.lua added before was just a thing I did to update my working dir and in the meantime test if the pushing worked.. Anyway, I did a little example of the name.png if you want to check it out ^^
Hmm, so you want position of concept artist? :) Well, why not, but artistic contributions are also checked for stylistic consistency, could you make something more industrial or dark looking? :)
willurd wrote:So I whipped up a scrolling map tonight and added a little bit of editing functionality in there as well just for kicks. It's not the cleanest code I've ever written, but I wasn't worrying about that too much :) I checked it into the repo and also attached it to this post. It seems pretty close to what we're looking for for the first prototype. It can scroll for a whole screen in any direction (which takes about 2 seconds) and the tiles are about 1/8 of the height of the screen (didn't quite work out to 1/8 for width). Is this close to what we're looking for? Thoughts?
nice nice :) Will check it more closely later today, one thing though - we should avoid formats like gif, which are not totally open. For this project we should prefer png, they also have transparency and loose-less compression. Same goes for fonts, we should use only open fonts and stuff :)

Oh, and one more thing - lets leave out rivers for now, I'd say rivers and roads could be drawn on top in different manner, planned them from iteration 2 or 3 :)