Official "A Whiff of Steam", the LövelyRPG project topic

The LövelyRPG project, a community initiative aiming to create an open source role playing game.

Moderator: Lövely RPG Community

willurd
Citizen

Re: Official "A Whiff of Steam", the LövelyRPG project topic

Post by willurd »

giniu wrote:To sum it up, we wouldn't restrict movement to tiles and move character tile at time, unless in fights and even then not necessary. More like in chrono cross movement or other later jrpg's from era. I'd say we should move character more like in baldurs gate or similar rpg's, at least that's how I planned to describe it for iteration 2 of first prototype
Yea, I didn't think we'd restrict the movement to single tiles, but what you're saying makes more sense anyway.
giniu wrote:I want to hear peoples opinion on one thing - we need to somehow support different resolutions and screen proportions. I'd say we should abstract most of it, using 4x3 proportion as standard and if someone have wider screen, show more map horizontally. What do you think? We need some nice, abstract solution to deal with this stuff
I agree. I think we should just show more map.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Yes, definitely more map.
Back to the controls, how are inverse controls more natural?!
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

bartbes wrote:Yes, definitely more map.
for dealing with screen proportion or also for screen size? I'd say if we support from 800x600 up to 1920×1200, so if we know how to deal with proportion change, we have only to deal with resolution scale in horizontal from 600 to 1200, here we also show twice as much map? (I base requirements on Steam Hardware Survey - if at least 3 percent of users care, we should to :))
bartbes wrote:Back to the controls, how are inverse controls more natural?!
I'm talking about change will made in here, more natural is scrolling along screen axes, just that :)
Last edited by giniu on Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Maybe I should pull before commenting next time :P

EDIT: I might as well add: Did we reach the milestone yet?

EDIT2: About the screen sizes, I'm not sure those resolutions are an accurate representation, as the steam platform is mostly for gamers who play professionally created games, in the indie segment of the 'market' we have a wider variety of players, from those gamers to gamers who want to play a game on their netbook while traveling. So while the maximum size might very well be correct I'd suggest we need to do some more research on the minimum. The best would be support for all resolutions you can think of, but the best approach might be seeing what the minimum actually is when we finish the GUI (or GUI design), and make everything flexible.
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

bartbes wrote:EDIT: I might as well add: Did we reach the milestone yet?
ticket, I'd say almost :) Milestone will have more iterations - as William added zooming, I wanted to test it out - when you zoom in/out tiles don't align too well, unless it was wilful to show borders of tiles then? If it wasn't we might want to think about disabling of zoom, if solution to this will be more complicated than it's worth, that's why we are not closing the ticket yet :)
bartbes wrote:EDIT2: About the screen sizes, I'm not sure those resolutions are an accurate representation, as the steam platform is mostly for gamers who play professionally created games, in the indie segment of the 'market' we have a wider variety of players, from those gamers to gamers who want to play a game on their netbook while traveling. So while the maximum size might very well be correct I'd suggest we need to do some more research on the minimum. The best would be support for all resolutions you can think of, but the best approach might be seeing what the minimum actually is when we finish the GUI (or GUI design), and make everything flexible.
Most netbooks have minimum of 1024x600 and do just well with 800x600, what's why I added this resolution to list that's not on steam :) Well, unless we would want to support older 7 inch or smaller netbooks and newer 7 inch netbooks with thouchscreens, then height of 480 is required (most are 800x480). Anyway we left out also upper limit, that is added to huge LCD's lately - 2560x1600 so I say we leave out that huge one - thus we are left with common heights of 480 to 1200? I wanted to scale up/down the map a bit to see how much of map will be seen in smallest and largest situation, before we do something with zoom - i.e. fix it or ditch it :)
kalle2990
Party member

Post by kalle2990 »

And some very small group of people playing on their full-HD screen. Not that I do, I only have 1680x1050 :roll:
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

kalle2990 wrote:And some very small group of people playing on their full-HD screen. Not that I do, I only have 1680x1050 :roll:
yeah, me too - before my old monitor melted though (it worked for whole 7 years, was great :)) I used 1600x1200 and I know lots of people that use it. And if we support 1200 vertically, all scales horizontally will be done by just showing more map so we get it for free :) Also, I'm not saying we should disallow any resolution, just we should make sure game looks equally good on all "supported" resolutions.

Anyway, I looked at resolutions - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vecto ... dards2.svg and it seems we could eventually deal with 480-1200 vertical and 640-2048 horizontally with all 7 proportions, unless we leave out that strange 2K :)
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

I don't like the current structure, things are hidden, a lot of useless stuff, too much clutter, and stuff in places that don't make sense.
Anyway, I have an idea on the borders, open the tiles up in an image viewer and zoom in a lot, is there some transparency there? (it is here, just want to confirm it is not my viewer)

EDIT: it was my viewer, nvm then.
willurd
Citizen

Post by willurd »

bartbes wrote:I don't like the current structure, things are hidden, a lot of useless stuff, too much clutter, and stuff in places that don't make sense.
Can you be more specific?

On the topic of closing out prototype1, I only added all that editing/zooming stuff for fun. If it's holding up the milestone or confusing people I will remove it asap.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

The overall structure seems to be pretty chaotic.

EDIT: Example: why is the draw function in src/states/mapeditor.lua?