Using SciTE with LÖVE

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Re: Using SciTE with LÖVE

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

Hexenhammer wrote:
, not usable with wlua files ...
.wlua is the extension for wxLua files.
FYI, WxWlua is a Lua wrapper around WxWidgets GUI library.
Ref
Party member

Post by Ref »

SciTE really is complex!
I got everything I really wanted until I got a error in a Love script which had a conf.lua file.
I got the appropriate error message in the Love window and SciTE's output window.
When I exited from the Love, SciTE opened the conf file.
Anyone have a clue as to why this is happening (no error in the conf file) and how to prevent (really annoying).
No problems with Love 0.9 files without conf files.
Hexenhammer
Party member

Post by Hexenhammer »

Hexenhammer's Preconfigured SciTE for Windows

Changes is in this release:

= Nightshade theme
- fixed goto label color
- operators are now bold
- changed the selection colors, contrast was too low
- darker background, again to achieve higher contrast

= Ocean theme
- fixed goto label color

= Qbasic theme
- new theme: if you feel retro or simply hate source code highlighting

For those who have never used my version before, important differences to the stock SciTE config are:
- Monospace font by default (Microsoft Consolas - you must install it if you do not already have it)
- More visible cursor
- Line numbers
- Edge column (to enforce < 80 characters)

Here are updated screenshots:

Nightshade color scheme

Ocean color scheme

Qbasic color scheme

Download link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/9e4ah ... unpack.zip
Ref
Party member

Post by Ref »

Glad to see that my obnoxious posts have not deterred you from further adventures with SciTE.
Screen color are much better.
Just a few suggestions (easily ignored):
1. Remind people that they will have to edit the lua.properties file to have the correct path to their love.exe.
2. Add ability of SciTE to re-open with the files you were working in the last session instead of a blank screen.
3. Use a default screen height less than 900 (not everyone can handle such a large screen.)
4. Point out that error messages aren't displayed in SciTE's output window (which isn't displayed and can only be toggled.)

I still can't figure out why, with my configuration files, if I get an error and a conf file exists, SciTE opens the conf.lua file.
No other files opened on error if a conf file absent. Any suggestions?
Hexenhammer
Party member

Post by Hexenhammer »

Ref wrote:Glad to see that my obnoxious posts have not deterred you from further adventures with SciTE.
I make these configs for myself, whether other people like them or not is of no real importance to me. I just upload them because they may be useful for someone else too, but as I said that is not the motivation behind them.
I still can't figure out why, with my configuration files, if I get an error and a conf file exists, SciTE opens the conf.lua file.
No other files opened on error if a conf file absent. Any suggestions?
I have no idea what is going on there, sounds very strange. Upload your version of SciTE, the whole package, executable, DLLs, all config files, etc. then I will take a look at it.
Ref
Party member

Post by Ref »

Here's my messed up SciTE.
Everything else works great except for the opening of a conf.lua file when error occurs.
Sure that you wont like my colors. :joker:
Really appreciate your help.
Best.
Attachments
SciTE_Ref.zip
SciTE with conf.lua problem
(719.09 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
Hexenhammer
Party member

Post by Hexenhammer »

First your SciTE version did not run at all on my system because of a missing lua DLL. So I downloaded one from here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/luabina ... p/download

Unfortunately, after that everything worked smoothly. I tried intentionally causing errors but the conf.lua file never opened, despite the fact that it was very much present. I also searched through the SciTE config files but there was no reference to conf.lua in any form. I was ready to give up but then I did something I usually never do. I tried to start my LÖVE program with the "Run Program" button as opposed to simply pressing F5..

..suddenly SciTE decided to open a random file after an error. Not conf.lua but html.properties (a file I had previously opened). It seems there is a bug in your setup which can lead to SciTE opening a previously opened file in case of an error despite the fact that the file is unrelated to the error in question. It is likely that the bug hides somewhere in the SciTE .lua scripts, not in the .properties files. Unfortunately, I have zero experience with those scripts and I do not have the time to investigate and fix the problem there.

However, as I said there seems to be an easy workaround: always run your programs by pressing F5, not by pressing the Run Program button. Another thing which seemed to suppress the issue in my case was simply closing all open files and restarting SciTE. I only opened main.lua and pressed the button - and this time things worked as expected.

Hope that helps

P.S.: I prefer my own color scheme and setup but yours is not bad at all. I could work with it. :thumbsup:
Ref
Party member

Post by Ref »

Very interesting. The plot thickens or is it the "mud gets deeper"?
I never run SciTE using the 'Run Program button' - always F5 ... so, not the answer.
There seems to be little interest in using SciTE with Love 0.9.
I was hoping that someone had encountered this problem and fixed it.
I would update to a newer version of SciTE but my configuration files don't see to be compatible with the newer version and the 'properties' files are not intuitive to the unwashed.
It's not a biggy, just an annoyance.
Maybe I'll just learn (I doubt) to live with it. :(
Thank you for taking a look at my setup.
Best!
Edit: Think (hope) I've found the problem (maybe).
As usual, using the monkey keyboard approach, I found that changing

Code: Select all

command.go.subsystem.*.lexe=1
to

command.go.subsystem.*.lexe=2
the problem seems to go away.
Really don't know what a .lexe file is (so probably screwup something else.)
My problem, not of concern for this forum.
Elvis666
Prole

Post by Elvis666 »

Hi all,

I'm having problems running a Love program from SciTE.
I've added the commands to my lua.properties file:

# compatible with LuaBinaries for Lua 5.1; will work on both platforms.
command.compile.*."C:\Lua\luac.exe" -o "$(FileName).luc" "$(FileNameExt)"
# Löve
command.go.main.lua="C:\Lua\love\love.exe" "$(FileDir)"
# Lua 5.1
#command.go.*.lua="C:\Lua\lua.exe" "$(FileNameExt)"
# Lua 4.0
#command.go.*.lua=Lua-4.0.exe -c -f "$(FileNameExt)"
When I press F5, I seem to get the right command in the output window:

"C:\Lua\love\love.exe" "C:\***path***\TD"
However, the love-window does not open and I need to terminate the run through SciTE.
I'm quite certain the command is correct. When I paste it in a cmd-window, love does open, running my program.
(To exclude any programming errors on my part, I've been testing this with the hello world example from the wiki.)

Also, how would I change the lua.properties file to run Love when I press F5 on a main.lua file, but standard lua when I press F5 on any other *.lua file?
If I uncomment the "#command.go.*.lua="C:\Lua\lua.exe" "$(FileNameExt)"-line I get an error when trying to run (love) main.lua file