Cthulhu Project : Let's Make Unmaintainable Code

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Doctory
Party member

Re: Cthulhu Project : Let's Make Unmaintainable Code

Post by Doctory »

sure
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

Here's a quote from the starter of GD.net collaborative coding horror experiment talking about initial content
Initial content is crucial

I didn't plan this aspect thoroughly, I just threw a minimal program out, it was only in the last hour did I decide to even post something more than have a black screen. I really failed to take into account the needs of the games that might evolve, I cranked out two basic sprites just before opening the experiment.

The initial ghost sprite turned out to be quite amenable to wrapping gameplay around. I think in many ways this single thing is the reason why the C++ was as popular as it turned out to be.

Unfortunately, for the HTML Frankenstein's head was, I feel, a barrier to gameplay. Not only did it lack animation, it wasn't even a complete sprite. I tried adding more sprites into the mix after the fact, but by then the program had already started to evolve and due to the rules it wasn't really possible to undo this direction. Had the initial art been better, maybe a game would have emerged sooner - which may have lent some coherency to the earlier changes.
So maybe something with gameplay and with some good artwork and it could use a little of the physics module ?
Any artist out there that wants to show what they got ?
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.
bekey
Party member

[]

Post by bekey »

-snip-
Last edited by bekey on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
love2d.org forum removal spell: http://pastebin.com/iVqJrbKN
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

Maybe something löve-y cute little circles or something, just something very very basic
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.
bekey
Party member

[]

Post by bekey »

-snip-
Last edited by bekey on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
love2d.org forum removal spell: http://pastebin.com/iVqJrbKN
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

bekey wrote:on that note I feel like LÖVE's Cthulhu project should be more similar to it's demos, webpage, etc etc. In other words, not pixel art. Anyone else up for the job?
Indeed, some fluffy stuff with vivid colors.
Your png could be used for the initial window icon.

Check out my twitter.