Can Love zip files? (IT CAN NOW!)

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Can Love zip files? (IT CAN NOW!)

Post by Taehl »

I know Love can handle /un/zipping... But is it able to zip files (for instance, game save files)?
Last edited by Taehl on Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
Elvashi
Prole

Re: Can Love zip files?

Post by Elvashi »

I know I made a FR for it, but i'm not sure if it ever actually got done.
"We could make a program for doing this for you, but that is for the LÖVE IDE, planned to be released in March 2142." ~mike
Networking with UDP uLove Proposal CCG: Gangrene
Lap
Party member

Post by Lap »

http://lua-users.org/wiki/CompressionAndArchiving has lots of working options. The downside of course being that it becomes harder to release cross compatible products.
Taehl

Post by Taehl »

Thank you. That may be very handy, depending on how large my latest project's save files start becoming...
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

No, love doesn't support it, technically, it isn't even unzipping.
Taehl

Post by Taehl »

I sunk my coding-claws into LibCompress and hacked it to pieces. I now possess a version that is 1/10 the size of the original script, and no longer has any dependencies. It works pretty nicely, too. It's very fast, and reduces the size of my test save file to 36% of its original size.

If anyone wants a copy, I can upload it somewhere.
Last edited by Taehl on Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luiji
Party member

Re: Can Love zip files? (IT CAN NOW!)

Post by Luiji »

Ooh, you should upload everywhere if it's that awesome!!!
  • The LOVE tutorials (or some related place on the Wiki).
  • GitHub as a Gist.
  • The LOVE Wiki.
  • A blog if you have one.
Good bye.
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

Taehl wrote:I sunk my coding-claws into LibCompress and hacked it to pieces. I now possess a version that is 1/10 the size of the original script, and has no longer has any dependencies. It works pretty nicely, too. It's very fast, and reduces the size of my test save file to 36% of its original size.

If anyone wants a copy, I can upload it somewhere.
Make a repo on Github, and make a LuaRock.
Taehl

Post by Taehl »

I'm out of touch with the whole open source thing, to be honest. Please inform me why should I use GitHub instead of LuaForge, SourceForge, Google Code, or something?

And I suppose I could put a little tutorial on the wiki (not that it really needs one, IMHO) with a download link or something... Assuming they fixed that old bug, and I'm now able to edit the wiki.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Taehl wrote:I'm out of touch with the whole open source thing, to be honest. Please inform me why should I use GitHub instead of LuaForge, SourceForge, Google Code, or something?
Because it's the most social place for code. Also, I don't know whether the others can work with distributed version control like Git or Mercurial.
Help us help you: attach a .love.