Gender survey thingy

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.

Are you male or female (or other)?

Female
1%
Male
90%
Other
9%

Total votes: 78

Jeeper
Party member

Re: Gender survey thingy

Post by Jeeper »

Azhukar wrote:
Jeeper wrote:Last I checked she was NOT a part of this community though.
Point was that being a different gender does not equal bringing different ideas.
Not sure I agree there, being a different anything means you will have a different background and hence therefor have different ideas. Gender being one of those.
Azhukar
Party member

Post by Azhukar »

Jeeper wrote:Not sure I agree there, being a different anything means you will have a different background and hence therefor have different ideas. Gender being one of those.
Any two people have different backgrounds and different ideas, regardless of gender.
Sheepolution
Party member

Post by Sheepolution »

So yeah I think the numbers are clear. But I don't see what we could do about it, and I don't think it's LÖVE or its community's fault.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Inny wrote:This thread is completely unsurprising.
Yes of course, people needed some numbers and evidence.
Azhukar
Party member

Post by Azhukar »

jjmafiae wrote:Yes of course, people needed some numbers and evidence.
The numbers are evidence of gender representation. They are evidence of nothing else. Which means they are useless for determining a cause for their own existence.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Sheepolution wrote:But I don't see what we could do about it,
Working on it. Give me a few months to come up with a plan and a few years to execute it.
Sheepolution wrote:and I don't think it's LÖVE or its community's fault.
Assigning blame is irrelevant and unproductive.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
micha
Inner party member

Post by micha »

Apart from the blaming, I think sheepolution has a point there. The low number of women in the community is not unique to LÖVE, but I bet, all game programming frameworks share this problem. So to differentiate further, it would be interesting to compare LÖVE's gender ratio with the one of other frameworks.
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

micha wrote:Apart from the blaming, I think sheepolution has a point there. The low number of women in the community is not unique to LÖVE, but I bet, all game programming frameworks share this problem. So to differentiate further, it would be interesting to compare LÖVE's gender ratio with the one of other frameworks.
+1 here.
Azhukar
Party member

Post by Azhukar »

micha wrote:So to differentiate further, it would be interesting to compare LÖVE's gender ratio with the one of other frameworks
It would be interesting, but ultimately useless just the same. You're asking programmers whether they are programmers, when you should be asking non-programmers why they are non-programmers. Emphasis on the why, not are.
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

Azhukar wrote:
Jeeper wrote:Not sure I agree there, being a different anything means you will have a different background and hence therefor have different ideas. Gender being one of those.
Any two people have different backgrounds and different ideas, regardless of gender.
Not necessarily. There have been countless amounts of studies that show that a good balanced mix of women and men is far superior to only men or only women.