Gender survey thingy

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.

Are you male or female (or other)?

Female
1%
Male
90%
Other
9%

Total votes: 78

Azhukar
Party member

Re: Gender survey thingy

Post by Azhukar »

ejmr wrote:I do not see a benefit for this thread to blow the scope wide open to “the bigger picture.”
Social activism in a nutshell.

In the end Katie grew up and rejoined the industry.
ejmr
Party member

Post by ejmr »

Honestly, I think it is very telling that you boil down that post to, "Katie grew up." As if she was a child for getting sick of being told to "lighten up" at comments that made her feel uncomfortable as a woman surrounded mostly by men in the tech industry.
ejmr :: Programming and Game-Dev Blog, GitHub
南無妙法蓮華經
Azhukar
Party member

Post by Azhukar »

ejmr wrote:Honestly, I think it is very telling that you boil down that post to, "Katie grew up." As if she was a child for getting sick of being told to "lighten up" at comments that made her feel uncomfortable as a woman surrounded mostly by men in the tech industry.
"I'm stronger now at 31 than I was at 21. This time, I'll make a stand."

She said it herself.
ejmr
Party member

Post by ejmr »

Azhukar wrote:"I'm stronger now at 31 than I was at 21. This time, I'll make a stand."

She said it herself.
True, but I think the, “I’ll make a stand,” statement is the more important one. Her literal aging did not erase her problems or otherwise she wouldn’t have anything to make a stand against.
南無妙法蓮華經
Azhukar
Party member

Post by Azhukar »

ejmr wrote:True, but I think the, “I’ll make a stand,” statement is the more important one. Her literal aging did not erase her problems or otherwise she wouldn’t have anything to make a stand against.
Should have gone with "In the end she lightened up" :crazy:
ejmr
Party member

Post by ejmr »

Azhukar wrote:Should have gone with "In the end she lightened up" :crazy:
Heh, funny and sad at the same time. Well done sir!
南無妙法蓮華經
Plu
Inner party member

Post by Plu »

Robin wrote:
Plu wrote:To be honest, I'd much prefer the solution to be kicking out the people who take offense at these things over kicking out the people making the jokes. An open atmosphere is worth more than some smallminded people not having their sensibilities harmed.

(With the obvious exception of jokes being aimed specifically at certain people, which takes it from "I take offense" to "I'm being abused", which is never okay. It's just that some people don't seem to understand the difference.)
Where do you draw the line, though? Because you can create a very hostile atmosphere for other people without being directly abusive. And such a "solution" would just end up enforcing and aggravating the status quo.
Drawing the line is always the hard part. I'm one of those persons who still believes people aren't inherently assholes, I guess. Generally speaking people are very good at picking up which people are poisoning the atmosphere and which people are just a bunch of prudes who like taking offense.

The hard part is giving them enough spine to kick out the right people, I guess that's where it usually goes wrong.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

But people don't have to be assholes, there just has to be a hivemind-y atmosphere.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Plu
Inner party member

Post by Plu »

Yeah that's what I meant with the 'spine' part of my reaction :) If there's a hive-mind-y atmosphere then clearly people left their spines at the door. (Which sadly is all too common.)
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Imagine a room with 50 males and 1 female, wouldn't that be awkward?