Migration from personal engine to Love2D

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
vlag
Prole

Migration from personal engine to Love2D

Post by vlag »

Hi all !

First I apologize for my bad english ;) .
I’m developing on my personal time a 2D platform-oriented game engine (C++/Lua too) since almost a year, and I discovered Love2D a few days ago. I've quickly read some tutorials and I consider now to migrate on it to be mainly focused on the quest side.

My engine is a little higher level than Love2D so some specific code have to be rewrite with Lua instead of C++ (for example, it takes care of a z-axis to have several levels of "interactions", handled on the engine side), and on the other hand, I prefer much more the Love2D base code than mine and some parts are better handled (especially the physics part) or not implemented yet on my engine, so rewrite the "higher-level part" on the quest side isn’t really a problem.
I’ll just ask for some points before work on the migration. I didn’t deeply check the code so some questions may have an obvious answer.

* Are collisions take care of the movement or are them just checked from the actual positions ? For example, if an entity move from (0,50) to (300,50) in one frame, is the collision with a line (150,0)(150,100) detected or not ?

* Can the view easily be scaled to always focus more than one drawable ? (I guess yes but as I said, I didn't deeply checked how the graphics part is handled so it's better to ask ;) )

* Is an iOS port already considered ? If not, I can possibly work on it since I already did it with my engine.

* Purely by curiosity, is there a roadmap written for the 1.0 version ?

Thank you for reading :)
Last edited by vlag on Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
micha
Inner party member

Re: Migration to personal engine to Love2D

Post by micha »

Hi and welcome to our forum.

1) The love.physics module can handle that. You have to make such fast objects as bullets. (Disclaimer, this is from what I heard. I haven't tried it myself).
2) Yes, possible. LÖVE gives you functions for scaling, rotating and translating the camera. If you want to focus on two moving objects at the same time, you have to come up with a formula to determine scale and translation, yourself.
3) There is no official iOS-support, but you can have a look in the ports-forum. There is some stuff in development by the community.
4) The LÖVE developers are all working on the framework in their spare time. They usually don't make any promises about release dates.
vlag
Prole

Re: Migration from personal engine to Love2D

Post by vlag »

1 & 2 ) Yeah thanks ! I'll really consider to port my current quest to Love2D.
3) Sorry, I didn't even noticed this forum. The iOS port for 0.9.X by slime looks great, I'll quicly try it and help to possible debug/improvements if needed :)
4) I was just wondering about features planned for the next versions, I obviously not wish a release date. It will be ready when it will be ready ;)

Thanks again for the quick answer !
Last edited by vlag on Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Well, [wiki]0.9.1[/wiki] is coming really soon, and the next minor version will have... new things. The issue tracker and experimental repository can give an idea of some potential directions that are being considered. :)

Here is the official roadmap:
vlag
Prole

Post by vlag »

Haha thanks for the answer too, I like it ;)

Since you're the maintener of this iOS port, can I suggest you some minor improvements (actually for now, changes I had to do to make it compile :P ) ?
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Sure, post in the thread for it - I know some things are broken though, maybe I'll see about fixing them today. :)
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

So when does 0.10.0 go into development?
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

There are already a couple changes made in the main repository for the next minor version: https://bitbucket.org/rude/love/branch/minor
Plus anything in the experimental branches which eventually makes it into the main repository and is major enough or late enough to not be in a 0.9.x release.