Future features

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Merkoth
Party member

Re: Future features

Post by Merkoth »

Is it possible to implement an image:getPixelColor( x, y ) method? It would be useful to implement masks for example
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

Yes, but it would require something like this:

Code: Select all

img = love.objects:newImage("yhellothar.png", love.image_preserve)
img:getPixel(0, 0) -- works

fail = love.objects:newImage("yhellothar.png")
fail:getPixel(0, 0) -- Always returns (0, 0, 0) (Perhaps issue warning?)
Images are deleted from memory after they are sent to the GPU, so unless there is some fast way of getting the pixel color directly from the texture, we need to indicate that we want to keep a copy of the image data.
Merkoth
Party member

Post by Merkoth »

rude wrote:Yes, but it would require something like this:

img = love.objects:newImage("yhellothar.png", love.image_preserve)
img:getPixel(0, 0) -- works

fail = love.objects:newImage("yhellothar.png")
fail:getPixel(0, 0) -- Always returns (0, 0, 0) (Perhaps issue warning?)
Images are deleted from memory after they are sent to the GPU, so unless there is some fast way of getting the pixel color directly from the texture, we need to indicate that we want to keep a copy of the image data.
It's ok, no problem
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

While we're at it, we may want to include img:setPixel as well. Although that will mean even more trouble.

img = love.objects:newImage("yhello.png", love.image_awesome) -- This enables pixel writes.

for i = 1, img:getSize() do
  img:setPixel(0, 0, img:getPixelRed(0, 0), 255, 255, 255)
end

img:awesome() -- This sends the image to the hardware.

Feel free to suggest identifiers for "awesome". We could just use lock/unlock. I'll start adding interface suggestions in the original post, so that people can make further suggestions.
Merkoth
Party member

Post by Merkoth »

Hmm... no idea, image_pushable and img:push()? I sounds kinda stupid though.
alxs
Prole

Post by alxs »

Hi, guys!

Some notes:
1. Even if most of your tutorials are run in a window the game switches to the full-screen mode for some reason on start and exit (the whole screen goes black for a moment). This is VERY annoying.

2. Alt-F4 doesn't close the window.

3. It would be very nice to have both windowed and full-screen modes that can be toggled by Alt-Enter or Maximize button.

4. Some kind of protection is a must for commercial games (licence keys, nag screens, encryption, etc).

5. Zipped format for games is great, but not so good while you are developing. Is there alternative way to run the games? Like a folder?

6. GUI interface to auto-detect all .love games and display them with their thumbnails. Ability to run any of detected games.

7. Do you need any help with development? I think I could spend some time on it...
Alex
Merkoth
Party member

Post by Merkoth »

alxs wrote:Hi, guys!

Some notes:
1. Even if most of your tutorials are run in a window the game switches to the full-screen mode for some reason on start and exit (the whole screen goes black for a moment). This is VERY annoying.

2. Alt-F4 doesn't close the window.

3. It would be very nice to have both windowed and full-screen modes that can be toggled by Alt-Enter or Maximize button.

4. Some kind of protection is a must for commercial games (licence keys, nag screens, encryption, etc).

5. Zipped format for games is great, but not so good while you are developing. Is there alternative way to run the games? Like a folder?

6. GUI interface to auto-detect all .love games and display them with their thumbnails. Ability to run any of detected games.

7. Do you need any help with development? I think I could spend some time on it...
1. Never noticed this...
2. At least in Ubuntu, Alt-F4 works fine
3. That's a good one guys
5. You can do that right now: just drag the folder containing game.conf and main.lua onto love.exe (in windows) and you're good to go.
mike
Administrator

Post by mike »

alxs wrote: 6. GUI interface to auto-detect all .love games and display them with their thumbnails. Ability to run any of detected games.
We had a menu before but we started moving in a different direction... more "Source Engine", less "Steam" (if you get my many Valve references).
Now posting IN STEREO (where available)
alxs
Prole

Post by alxs »

So, as I understand, you don't need any help with development?
Alex
mike
Administrator

Post by mike »

Hey, don't ask me. Rude is the manager of this project (although he'd kill me if I called him that), but I think that the idea is that more people added would become more people to manage, etc. But I don't make the decisions here, so you'll have to wait for him.
Now posting IN STEREO (where available)