Pokemon Drinking Game [completed]

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
smkyjoe7
Prole

Pokemon Drinking Game [completed]

Post by smkyjoe7 »

Hey Lovers! I made a Pokemon-themed drinking game entirely in Love2d! Please check out the link and let me know what you think. I just finished today so any comments on bugs or gameplay suggestions would be very appreciated! Thanks!

Here is the link:
DOWNLOAD HERE

Title Screen:

Choose your Starter! Allows for 1 - 6 players!

Professor Oak included!

Players take turns rolling the die, which is measured in Digletts, and make their way across the board.

A lot of drinking is involved:

Anyway, please check it out and let me know what you think.

Download here!
DOWNLOAD HERE
Germanunkol
Party member

Re: Pokemon Drinking Game [completed]

Post by Germanunkol »

Awesome work, awesome music, I even like the graphics!

I'll definately try to play this with some friends soon :)

Only thing I didn't like so far is that it's hard to see the players on the cards sometimes. Maybe add an extra space next to each field and put them on there? Or use a shader and highlight them somehow... or somthing.
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
drakmaniso
Prole

Post by drakmaniso »

That's really well done!

I agree with Germanunkol, the players are not distinct enough on the board. Maybe you could try to desaturate the pictures of the board, and add a darker outline around the player sprites; a shadow may also be useful.

another small problem, while I was in the "Pokemon Tower", the text overlay was hiding the text of the square I was on.
smkyjoe7
Prole

Post by smkyjoe7 »

Thanks for the feedback! I plan on adding more elements soon (more sound effects, animations for certain spaces) and will definitely work on making the player icon stick out more. Word to the wise if you plan on playing it with friends, it gets me and mine quite drunk. :awesome:
CaptainMaelstrom
Party member

Post by CaptainMaelstrom »

smkyjoe7 wrote: Allows for 1 - 6 players!
I feel sorry for anyone who plays drinking games by themself. :|
osuf oboys
Party member

Post by osuf oboys »

Nicely made. I'm proud to say this is the only Pokemon game I've played :p. It is pretty generous in drinking though - is the rule that whoever is still alive at the end is the winner? I interpreted a 'drink' to mean a 'gulp' and still finished over a liter of water.

It did not feel very interactive however. In physical games like these, the die roles to decide your faith provide most of the fun. Perhaps the diglets could be made a bit more interactive (eg organize all six in the middle of the screen, have them move much more quickly and stop when the spacebar is hit), and perhaps an option of choosing to roll dies physically?
If I haven't written anything else, you may assume that my work is released under the LPC License - the LÖVE Community. See http://love2d.org/wiki/index.php?title=LPC_License.
smkyjoe7
Prole

Post by smkyjoe7 »

CaptainMaelstrom wrote: I feel sorry for anyone who plays drinking games by themself. :|
So does the game! =)

But it was really there for debugging purposes. I just got back from GDC and will be working on an improved version over the next month or so.
osuf oboys wrote:Nicely made. I'm proud to say this is the only Pokemon game I've played :p. It is pretty generous in drinking though - is the rule that whoever is still alive at the end is the winner? I interpreted a 'drink' to mean a 'gulp' and still finished over a liter of water.

It did not feel very interactive however. In physical games like these, the die roles to decide your faith provide most of the fun. Perhaps the diglets could be made a bit more interactive (eg organize all six in the middle of the screen, have them move much more quickly and stop when the spacebar is hit), and perhaps an option of choosing to roll dies physically?
Thanks for playing it! The game is designed to get you pretty damn drunk. I have played a few times with friends and never make it out unscathed.

Your thoughts on the diglett are really appreciated, I agree they need to be more front and center. I like the idea of pressing the spacebar to stop them very much, but will need to rework is substantially to make that work. I don't think I will make a version that takes input from the player regarding their physical dice input, as the game was designed to be played wholly on the computer, but thanks for the idea!

Thanks again everyone!