Mac version of my game for a Windows user

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Luiji
Party member

Re: Mac version of my game for a Windows user

Post by Luiji »

TechnoCat wrote:Okay, so, if I am running Windows or Linux, how do I make an OSX app of my game?
You don't.

Okay, I couldn't resist...
Apple does vendor lock-in because they are too lazy to ensure that Mac OS/X works well on more then obe hardware platform.
Let's continue this discussion, if we must, somewhere more fitting, such as a chat room.
Good bye.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

There you go again with the FUD. Do you ever stop? For just a minute?
Last edited by Jasoco on Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

Luiji wrote:
TechnoCat wrote:Okay, so, if I am running Windows or Linux, how do I make an OSX app of my game?
You don't.
<snip>useless blabbering</snip>
I feel overlooked.

Jasoco, could you zip up an example .app of a love game and post it?
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

The ability for Windows to run on any PC is the REASON that Windows has so many incompatibility problems. Apple makes Macs so that they are sure to work with OS X. It's not Lazy. It's smart. The less different configurations out there the less problems you have. Apple is the only one who has done it RIGHT from the start. Jesus Christ. I'm starting to get sick of your anti-Apple attitude. Discussion over. You sucked me in again, but I am getting really tired of your little game here. You obviously don't know a THING about Apple because you are the one too lazy to do some research. No more. I'm done. For now. Until you open your mouth and say something else. Hopefully a Mod will reply first and cut me off though. Don't worry, I still love you. When you're not badmouthing the OS or computer I use because of some event that happened in the past.

TechnoCat, I'll get right on it. I'll upload my game (In its current state) as a bundled app here in a few minutes to take a look at. I'm curious as well, I'll probably boot up Ubuntu in VirtualBox and check it out too.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Here you go. It's a 3.6MB ZIP file with the love.app and my current snapshot of my game engine. Pardon the bugs, don't take this as the latest demo. It's only for testing on Linux or whatever. 3MB of that 3.6MB is the application itself. Down from 10.1MB. Not bad.
love 0.6.2.zip
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

Did I do it correctly?

EDIT: Fixed the filter mode string constants.
Attachments
rebound.zip
Rebound OSX Distribution
(3.31 MiB) Downloaded 102 times
Last edited by TechnoCat on Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Edited because of fixes: Yes! It works great!

So rejoyce, Linux users, and by extension probably Windows ones too, if you can get a copy of the OS X love.app, you will be able to make OS X capable games without needing a Mac.
Last edited by Jasoco on Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

Yeah, I already fixed that.
But yeah, with an already prepared .app, creating the osx distribution on non OSX was easy.

Now if only Windows had a half decent package manager.

EDIT: I'm on Windows 7 actually. All I had to do was open the Resources folder, take out your love and put in mine. I guess kind of obviously.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Ah, then I'm still going to assume that it would still work fine on Linux too. This is good to know. Now, how would I do the same thing for Windows versions from OS X? And how about Linux? How does one make a Linux version?

I think the main problem for Windows and Linux users is that the Löve download for OS X is a DMG which even if they download it, it won't open on their OS. So we should point them here to download one of our versions, just make sure they remove our .love file and replace it with their own first.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

Jasoco wrote:Ah, then I'm still going to assume that it would still work fine on Linux too. This is good to know. Now, how would I do the same thing for Windows versions from OS X? And how about Linux? How does one make a Linux version?

I think the main problem for Windows and Linux users is that the Löve download for OS X is a DMG which even if they download it, it won't open on their OS. So we should point them here to download one of our versions, just make sure they remove our .love file and replace it with their own first.
Yes, dmg was the main problem. What if a dmg and a .app version were both distributed on sourceforge? And for linux, I don't think there is really anything we can do about that. Unless someone makes a magical deb or rpm program for us.

For Windows, just follow the windows distribution guide. It is pretty easy, just instead of that weird copy command, use "cat" to combine the "love.exe" with the "game.love". Include the dlls in the root of the zip and you're done with the Windows distribution. If you want to change the icon for the Windows love on OSX you might be out of luck. We have to use "Resource Hacker" just to do it and I'm unsure of any OSX alternatives to modify icons in windows binaries.
Last edited by TechnoCat on Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:22 am, edited 2 times in total.