Golden Harvest

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: Golden Harvest

Post by Robin »

I tried the alpha, dunno if there is a newer version. I liked it. Only when it was 17:00 or so, I suddenly died and I have no idea why. Also, I re-spawned right in the middle of the ocean (on a patch of shallow water I couldn't escape). :P
Help us help you: attach a .love.
VividReality
Prole

Post by VividReality »

I edited the main post a while ago, but appearantly that doesn't bump the thread. I hope this doesn't cause any annoyance. We're just really happy to tell everyone about the updates we've done and especially to show the latest screenshots! I'll make a new post when there is a new version to play.
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

Wow, the graphics have come a long way, well done!

I'd love to give this another try once the new demo is out.

Side note: It's totally ok (imho) to bumb a thread when there's new updates.
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

The new graphics look ok, but there were some good things to say about the old ones: they were symbolic, leaving stuff to the imagination. The new ones are more detailed but there's less room for the brain to "fill the gaps". I now know that "the main character has long brown hair". Before, it could be a dwarf, an elf, or an alien. I don't know if you catch my drift.

I am glad to see this moving on anyway. It's a nice project.
When I write def I mean function.
VividReality
Prole

Post by VividReality »

Hello Kikito, thanks for you reply.

A good friend of mine who is a fan of games like Dwarf Fortress and roguelikes, has told me the exact same thing, and after a long discussion we've came to the conclusion I'll add the capability of using texturepacks much like Minecraft does.

The original textures will stay in the game, but not as the default texturepack.
Rhinoceros
Prole

Post by Rhinoceros »

VividReality wrote:Hello Kikito, thanks for you reply.

A good friend of mine who is a fan of games like Dwarf Fortress and roguelikes, has told me the exact same thing, and after a long discussion we've came to the conclusion I'll add the capability of using texturepacks much like Minecraft does.

The original textures will stay in the game, but not as the default texturepack.
I clicked on this thread because I thought this was a Harvest Moon-ish thing (judging by title alone), but it turned out to appear more Dwarf Fortressy, from the first image. Which is well enough; there's two HM games coming out this year due to some shenanigans with Marvelous, XSeed, and Natsume, but then I scrolled down, and DF turned into actual graphics (the horror!). However, I do realise that lots of people like having actual graphics, and you've made it easier for more people to pick up your game (which is always good). Thank you for having ASCII-like tiles be an option rather than cutting them out entirely; there are more than a few people (including me) who genuinely prefer ASCII to tiles.

From the looks of it, it seems to be a recombination of adventure mode DF, which is getting an update soon, so get excited, and Minecraft. I'd like to see where this goes, but please do me one favour: infinite inventory slots, but with a weight limit, but do not have limited inventory slots and 4,000 base materials like Terraria did. That clogs up your inventory so fast it's utterly ridiculous; by the time you find something you need/want, your inventory is already full of stupid crap that you never use, but autopickup anyways because there's no settings for that. Having a lot of secondary things is fine, though, because you need to deliberately make those rather than accidentally picking up 8 different stacks of plants for potions that you don't use, and seeds for each plant (which you won't use either, because you don't need the plants, so why would you grow more?).
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Just to be clear about it: I don't thing going "full ASCII" is needed. Being "symbolical" or evocative without being too detailed is OK for me. One of my favorite roguelikes is POWDER. I think it strikes the right balance in the "detailed vs abstract" spectrum.
VividReality
Prole

Post by VividReality »

I am not sure what's so horrific about the graphics. I never said I was going to make a DF clone, or a Harvest Moon clone, or a Minecraft clone. The biggest focus will be on the survival simulation in a Germanic mythology setting. The minimalistic graphics I had earlier weren't a matter of preference, but a matter of not having any other option until my girlfriend offered to make all the graphics for me. I think the graphics are quite nice.

If I had to make a comparison with any game, it would maybe be Unreal World RPG. But even that is a stretch, since URWRPG exists now for over ten years with frequent updates, so I'll not get to a point within at least a couple of years where I would be comfortable to call this game in the lines of URWRPG. So taking in consideration Golden Harvest is only 2 years young now, I think comparing Golden Harvest to any of these games creates expectations I could never strive for.

Regarding the weight based inventory, this is indeed the approach I was going for. I am not sure why (as in Minecraft for instance) Anyone would be able to count in stacks as your limit, creating the illusion 64 cubic meter cobblestone takes as much effort to carry as 64 feathers. Since the focus in Golden Harvest is that it will be a simulator, realism is one of the biggest priorities.

If people really want to play with ascii or glyphic/symbolic imagery, then sure, go ahead. I'll keep the ability to use texturepacks in the game. But it would not be the idea we as the creators have in mind, and it will not be our biggest priority to support.

Just to be clear, I am not angry nor offended. But when people say Dwarf Fortress or Minecraft it scares me a little that there are maybe expectations I can never meet.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

VividReality wrote:I am not sure what's so horrific about the graphics.
Nono, no one said they were! I said I preferred more symbolic graphics, but that doesn't mean I find the new ones "horrific".

I thought expressing my opinion might help you. I fear that instead I might have discouraged you. Sorry if I did. Keep working at your game, it's taking a very good shape!

I said I'd rather have less detailed graphics, but it's not a "chocolate cake vs poisoned rat" situation. It's more like "chocolate cake vs apple pie". I like both. I just like chocolate a bit more.

So please continue using the new graphics! I don't really mind if you remove the old ones (and don't leave them, even as an option).

Regards!
VividReality
Prole

Post by VividReality »

Oh, I am sorry. I may have sound more offended than I meant. I can really understand the idea of preferring symbolic imagery and they'll definitely be there as a texturepack, I also think it would be fun. But it won't be my main priority because I also added some shaders to make the game prettier, and I first have to figure out how they'd work with symbolic imagery. This is just a matter of thinking it through before I actually go for it.

For instance; the water is waving, the tiles automatically transition in each other, shadows are casted for some items and some plants weave in the wind. These kind of things are hard to show well with symbolic graphics, or at least I have no idea how to make it look well as of right now (maybe I make the shaders optional, or I have to think of a good way to make the textures look pretty with these shaders, I don't know yet), but as soon as I do, I will create a new texturepack with a roguelike-esque feeling.

Last but not least; I've went on vacation with my girlfriend for a week - we went to a cottage in the woods, and aside from sightseeing, I managed to spend some more time on Golden Harvest, and a new playable demo should be expected pretty soon :).