[love-android-sdl2 port] Sienna

A project to port LÖVE to Android handhelds
SneakySnake
Citizen

Re: [love-android-sdl2 port] Sienna

Post by SneakySnake »

micha wrote:It seems that the touch-release is not registered. That is why I always do the maximum height jump.
That is weird. I don't know why.
It may be a love-android-sdl2 bug?
It is registered on my system. I finished the game on my tablet without issues.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

You made it ignore the touch release if the touch has moved since the initial press, but most touchscreens are sensitive enough that the touch will almost always move at least a little bit. I guess yours isn't?

It would also be nice if the menu buttons were tappable with a finger, rather than swiping to navigate - the former is much more intuitive than the latter on a touchscreen.
SneakySnake
Citizen

Post by SneakySnake »

slime wrote:You made it ignore the touch release if the touch has moved since the initial press, but most touchscreens are sensitive enough that the touch will almost always move at least a little bit. I guess yours isn't?
Oh, I thought he means that the love.touchreleased function isn't called at all.
I'll add a sensitivity threshold.
EDIT:
Added it.

slime wrote:It would also be nice if the menu buttons were tappable with a finger, rather than swiping to navigate - the former is much more intuitive than the latter on a touchscreen.
I don't know, I find swiping intuitive on a touchscreen. Even the apps menu is navigated that way.
Any way, I'm not against adding buttons but I don't really feel like working on that at the moment. If anyone wants to add them, they are free to submit a pull request.
NightKawata
Party member

Post by NightKawata »

SneakySnake wrote:I don't know, I find swiping intuitive on a touchscreen. Even the apps menu is navigated that way.
Any way, I'm not against adding buttons but I don't really feel like working on that at the moment. If anyone wants to add them, they are free to submit a pull request.
Yes, but in the case of that, you can tell that you're actually swiping the menu a bit easier. But eh.
Metanet Hunter REMIX uses a virtual d-pad mostly because it needed one.

Now this port does control well in-game, but I will admit I'm not fond of the menu navigation. Mostly because it completely lacks intuition and you wouldn't have figured that out were you a member of the general public.

And to append to that, running a Samsung Galaxy S4: Everything works, but the gameplay is jittery. I'd guess the FPS likes to stutter quite a lot. I'll note towards the game on that one. (Metanet Hunter REMIX works perfectly on it, surprisingly enough)
"I view Python for game usage about the same as going fishing with a stick of dynamite. It will do the job but it's big, noisy, you'll probably get soaking wet and you've still got to get the damn fish out of the water." -taylor
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

NightKawata wrote:And to append to that, running a Samsung Galaxy S4: Everything works, but the gameplay is jittery.
Yeah... the game seems to be doing a draw call per tile, which is really bad on mobile. Instead, it should use a spritebatch for the background and one or two for moving stuff.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Mipmap's helps alot on phones.
theg
Prole

Post by theg »

I've a Moto G with Android 4.4.2 which gives the error message "Can't open file" when I click on the .apk. I've enabled installing apps from .apk files. Any ideas?
SneakySnake
Citizen

Post by SneakySnake »

slime wrote:
NightKawata wrote:And to append to that, running a Samsung Galaxy S4: Everything works, but the gameplay is jittery.
Yeah... the game seems to be doing a draw call per tile, which is really bad on mobile. Instead, it should use a spritebatch for the background and one or two for moving stuff.
The game now uses a SpriteBatch for drawing the map.
Not for the other entities though, as there are usually not many of them, and it would require some refactoring to implement it.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

SneakySnake wrote:The game now uses a SpriteBatch for drawing the map.
Thanks, it runs much better and uses much less power now!

A few more notes (aside from the swipe versus tap issues):

- I'm using an iPad 2 (1024x768 screen resolution) and the game doesn't fill up the screen correctly: menu, ingame.

- The status bar shows up on iOS unless you make the window either borderless or fullscreen.

- As far as I know there isn't a way to get to the menu screen once I've started the game.

- The quit button shouldn't be there on mobile - the user is supposed to exit apps through the OS UI, and programmatically quitting via love.event.quit won't actually do what you might expect, at least on iOS (it just keeps LÖVE alive as a zombie with a black screen.)

- On iOS, decoding mp3 or AAC files uses less CPU than decoding ogg (this is usually only relevant for streaming Sources, like music, which will continually be decoded while the game is running.)

- Since the game doesn't use the accelerometer, you can disable the love.joystick module to save some CPU usage (on iOS, at least.)
SneakySnake
Citizen

Post by SneakySnake »

slime wrote:- I'm using an iPad 2 (1024x768 screen resolution) and the game doesn't fill up the screen correctly: menu, ingame.
I only use scale-to-fill when love.system.getOS() == 'Android'. Does love.system.getOS() return 'iOS' on iOS?
Anyway, I can't debug iOS specific issues, as I don't have an iOS device. Help would be appreciated.
- The status bar shows up on iOS unless you make the window either borderless or fullscreen.
Isn't it good that the status bar is visible? It is visible for most games/apps I use on Android at least.
We might not be talking about the same status bar though. I am talking about the one that contains the virtual navigation buttons, the notification area, clock, etc, which is good to have visible at all times. It's probably different on iOS though.
I guess it could be made optional.
slime wrote:- As far as I know there isn't a way to get to the menu screen once I've started the game.
On Android, the standard "back" button works. love-android-sdl2 seems to map it to the escape key.
Again, I can't test this on iOS.
slime wrote:- The quit button shouldn't be there on mobile - the user is supposed to exit apps through the OS UI, and programmatically quitting via love.event.quit won't actually do what you might expect, at least on iOS (it just keeps LÖVE alive as a zombie with a black screen.)
I'll remove it.
SneakySnake wrote:- On iOS, decoding mp3 or AAC files uses less CPU than decoding ogg (this is usually only relevant for streaming Sources, like music, which will continually be decoded while the game is running.)
I don't want to change the assets of the game, especially not to a proprietary format like mp3.
slime wrote:- Since the game doesn't use the accelerometer, you can disable the love.joystick module to save some CPU usage (on iOS, at least.)
Done.

In any case, help with iOS development would be appreciated.