Zömbies

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
rxi
Prole

Zömbies

Post by rxi »

Zömbies: A small game about killing zombies and collecting coins.

The game was written over a weekend for the third gameboy jam. Compatible with LÖVE 8 and 9.

http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/z-mbies/31993/
Ranguna259
Party member

Re: Zömbies

Post by Ranguna259 »

Zömbies = Awesomeness
Amazing work :D
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

Nice game! I like the art! I understand it was made for a jam and all, but I still thought you might want to know about some bugs:
- When you start, you automatically fire a bullet.
- Zombies move way faster than you diagonally.

That being said, I like the art and the game! I would like to see it expanded, there could be some neat items added.
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
baconhawka7x
Party member

Post by baconhawka7x »

The gameplay is amazing, and the art is absolutely fantastic! Good job dude!
pelicano_o
Prole

Post by pelicano_o »

I enjoyed it!
The game mechanics work well and are interesting. I get better at hiding behind obstacles after a while.
It wasn't very intuitive for me to change direction first before shooting. I think I would enjoy it more if I had more freedom to change direction of shooting while moving and also not be constrained to shooting only in four directions.
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

This is amazing. If I were making a zombie game, this is what I would want it to look like.

EDIT:
I found a bug.
When I tried to kill a single zombie by shooting a barrel next to it, this happened:

Code: Select all

Error
lib/coil.lua:62: zombie.lua:92: attempt to index field 'parent' (a nil value)

Traceback

[C]: in function 'routine'
lib/coil.lua:62: in function 'update'
ld/entity.lua:145: in function 'update'
ld/group.lua:81: in function 'update'
ld/group.lua:81: in function 'update'
playerstate.lua:191: in function 'update'
main.lua:82: in function 'update'
[C]: in function 'xpcall'
I think this is caused by me killing the zombie with a bullet in the same call as the barrel tried to kill it.
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

Great little game. Very responsiv!
rxi
Prole

Post by rxi »

Thanks for the kind words!
Davidobot wrote:I found a bug.
When I tried to kill a single zombie by shooting a barrel next to it, this happened:
This should be fixed now, the download link has been updated.
pelicano_o wrote:It wasn't very intuitive for me to change direction first before shooting. I think I would enjoy it more if I had more freedom to change direction of shooting while moving and also not be constrained to shooting only in four directions.
The choice for how the controls worked were influenced partly by the jam itself -- though I don't believe its an explicit rule that the controls be something that could be mapped to a gameboy's button configuration, it seems does seem to be the general consensus. This rules out, for example, the traditional twin-stick controls (one for movement, one for shooting).

That being said, I was quite happy with how the controls influenced the game play -- for example, when being chased you have to pick a good moment to flip round, hit fire and then continue running so you don't get hit. It also adds an extra challenge in having to do this very quickly.
OmarShehata
Party member

Post by OmarShehata »

rxi wrote:That being said, I was quite happy with how the controls influenced the game play -- for example, when being chased you have to pick a good moment to flip round, hit fire and then continue running so you don't get hit. It also adds an extra challenge in having to do this very quickly.
I do love how the controls actually change the way you play. Feels like a fresh take on it. I also wanted to say I love how the environment plays into the game! I thought the train was just a visual thing...until it obliterated me and the zombies! It feels like there's a lot of potential for that, from luring the zombies into the train tracks, to other environment pitfalls which could work for or against you depending on how well you play.
pelicano_o
Prole

Post by pelicano_o »

rxi wrote:
That being said, I was quite happy with how the controls influenced the game play -- for example, when being chased you have to pick a good moment to flip round, hit fire and then continue running so you don't get hit. It also adds an extra challenge in having to do this very quickly.
Maybe you are right. The challenges and thrill of it did pull me back to it again and again. I could still learn new strategies after playing it for like 20 or 30 times.