A Text Twist Clone

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
sphyrth
Party member

A Text Twist Clone

Post by sphyrth »

I'm exposing my current lack of artistry with this one. Though, I do want to hear more about improving my "stack-type" state_manager... something that I really want to focus upon when I plan to make other projects.

Update v.0.4:
Word Whacker v0.4.love
(481.96 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
- Ported to Love2D 11.3.
- High Scores List
- Play Again? for Game Overs
- Game Buttons are now "pressable" (or "somewhat" animated).
- Other things that I can't even care to mention.

The code has become a complete mess as I was trying to learn what I should do with my libraries. But meh. Every step of the way.
Attachments
WordWhacker v.0.3b.love
(436.47 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
Last edited by sphyrth on Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
Germanunkol
Party member

Re: A Text Twist Clone

Post by Germanunkol »

Neat game!

Works well. Graphics could be better, but who cares :D
When one level ended, I clicked in just that moment - which resulted in the "level end screen" dissapearing instantly - so I couldn't see the words I didn't find, even though I wanted to.
Maybe force a one-second wait in there?

P.S.: To bad you don't use british english. The game didn't understand "arse" :P
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
sphyrth
Party member

Post by sphyrth »

Thanks!
When one level ended, I clicked in just that moment - which resulted in the "level end screen" disappearing instantly - so I couldn't see the words I didn't find, even though I wanted to.
I'm trying to optimize my code for the moment (I'm starting to learn about SpriteBatch), so I'm currently focusing on that. Though my "state_popup.lua" DOES need work since I needed to put a "Click to Continue" button instead of detecting a mere "keypress" or "mousepress".
To bad you don't use british english....
:ultrahappy: - I used anagram solvers minimally, and just put in the words that I know in "dictionary.lua", so the dictionary still still ways off from being decent.

BTW. Does it makes you "force" to put in "British" just to be clear in what English you're describing? I know I do. :ultraglee:
sphyrth
Party member

Post by sphyrth »

Still struggling with the GUI aspects, I managed to add a bit of functionality on the Exiting and Next Word.

This one gave me potential ideas on Dialog Boxes in my engine.
Attachments
Word Whacker v0.2.love
(360.13 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
sphyrth
Party member

Post by sphyrth »

Before I allow this thing to be buried into oblivion, I'll just post the latest version I have of this thing. The dictionary's still lame, but at least I got a handle of using those DialogMessages.

Hopefully, though, I would make use of love.filesystem as I can get the time to study it.
Attachments
Word Whacker v.0.3.love
(434.82 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
lumlune
Prole

Post by lumlune »

I've got nothing contributory, but I'm really in awe of the organization and overall cleanness of your code. Nevermind graphics, that's art, man. :o
Kasperelo
Party member

Post by Kasperelo »

Cool little game!
Astro
Prole

Post by Astro »

Pretty cool game. I'd recommend a "game over - play again?" screen when the time runs out or you guess all the words. (if not already added in v0.3 - I didn't check) I like the button textures. Got to 1500 score. :P
Never underestimate the power of a programming language.
sphyrth
Party member

Post by sphyrth »

I'm saving my updated works as comments as well as the OP since I don't know how the Editor works with file attachments. Sometimes they appear, sometimes they don't.
Word Whacker v0.4.love
(481.96 KiB) Downloaded 180 times