Turtle: Invaders

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
TurtleP
Party member

Turtle: Invaders

Post by TurtleP »

Hi everyone!

I'd like to introduce you to the latest project of Tiny Turtle Industries:

Turtle: Invaders was an idea brought up by beta tester Rokit Boy, who began testing by coding it himself. Eventually, he needed a bit of help and Turtle helped him out. Now, it's a nice piece of work with many features; blending Space Invaders and turtles together. Shoot and destroy the bats to earn points.Bats will gradually begin to grow new abilities such as armor, power ups you could be using against them (laser (not the giant space one), freeze, slow time, and shotgun), creating a circling, v-formation, horizontal, or vertical pattern. You lose points for every bullet you shoot, so aim carefully. Can you survive to fight the bosses?

Features

Living on the edge with limited lives in Easy, Normal, and Hard modes!
Local Co-Op
Crazy powerups
High score tracking
Clearing phobias of bats
Update notices
Achievements
Unlockable "Boss rush" mode
Endless bat killing in "Endless" mode
Custom character loading!*

Screenshots

Release Date: 9.19.2014
All Versions: my blog
Source: Will be put here as an attachment once it's released

*There will be a characters/ folder inside of the game's LOVE directory to load a custom ship design (max 40x40) and shipgui (which is the same as the ship, but no character is visible in it). The format is characters\<name>\ship.png. Your ship also needs a "shield" graphic which can be animated. This will be the same width as your ship and located in characters\<name>\shield.png.

Last Built (with no errors): 8/19/15 @ 0:48 EST
Latest Beta for v1.5
Attachments
TurtleInvadersSource-1.5.love
(5.27 MiB) Downloaded 244 times
Last edited by TurtleP on Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:07 pm, edited 13 times in total.
HugoBDesigner
Party member

Re: Turtle: Invaders

Post by HugoBDesigner »

This is for sure a great game with a great gameplay. The bosses are amazing and so are the powerups! The boss rush mode is pretty challenging, and the ship customization is very well done. I know that I kinda helped a bit making things for this game, but, speaking as a GAMER, this is by far a 10/10.

Also, it'll be released on my birthday, so BEST PRESENT EVER! Gimme special edition plx???

TO-DO: Turtle Invaders: The Bats' Revenge mod :P
@HugoBDesigner - Twitter
HugoBDesigner - Blog
mickeyjm
Party member

Post by mickeyjm »

HugoBDesigner wrote: Also, it'll be released on my birthday, so BEST PRESENT EVER! Gimme special edition plx???
Sorry to bring it off topic but I just realised we are EXACTLY the same age (provided you didn't lie about the year you were born when you signed up)
Your screen is very zoomed in...
TurtleP
Party member

Post by TurtleP »

HugoBDesigner wrote:This is for sure a great game with a great gameplay. The bosses are amazing and so are the powerups! The boss rush mode is pretty challenging, and the ship customization is very well done. I know that I kinda helped a bit making things for this game, but, speaking as a GAMER, this is by far a 10/10.

Also, it'll be released on my birthday, so BEST PRESENT EVER! Gimme special edition plx???

TO-DO: Turtle Invaders: The Bats' Revenge mod :P
The coincidence is weird, really. Don't know how it happened.. it just.. did. Anyway, the release is in 8 hours for those who want to know.
TurtleP
Party member

Post by TurtleP »

Game has been released! OP is updated with the source attachment. I hope you guys enjoy it!
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Extremely well done, got 1207 in my first try. I really liked the giant laser beam.

The first waves are a bit too slow paced though.

9/10
TurtleP
Party member

Post by TurtleP »

jjmafiae wrote:Extremely well done, got 1207 in my first try. I really liked the giant laser beam.

The first waves are a bit too slow paced though.

9/10
Thanks! I can make the next patch make it quicker. I used cron.lua to make the waves, and for some reason it seemed a bit too fast when i put the clock in the "new wave" function*. I'll see about it..

Next patch will be 1.43 and will:

1) Fix powerup graphics (they'll look better) (So far: https://love2d.org/imgmirrur/RpQIIef.png but some may change)
2) Faster waves (*which is what I thought was a bug in cron, but I guess not?)
3) Fix a rare crash with bat emancipations crashing the game

Those that have no "admin" account on their computer should redownload the game from my blog, as that has the latest version which fixes update checking for non-amin accounts (because writing to the LOVE dir is not possible as non-admin). It also allows for the use of the arrow keys for movement and shooting.
TurtleP
Party member

Post by TurtleP »

This isn't dead!

Here's some screenshots for the next release (1.5) which has no set due date.

Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

TurtleP wrote:This isn't dead!

I already told you I love that UI didnt I? If I didnt... I say it!! When I saw it in Android (That screenshot with the keyboard problem) with the controllers I was amazed!
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
TurtleP
Party member

Post by TurtleP »

Positive07 wrote:
TurtleP wrote:This isn't dead!

I already told you I love that UI didnt I? If I didnt... I say it!! When I saw it in Android (That screenshot with the keyboard problem) with the controllers I was amazed!
Thanks! It was actually designed by HugoBDesigner, the co-programmer (he codes things I don't know how to do such as fancy maths xD) and lead artist.

Here's the lobby for online:

I'm still debating on having "Custom Music Tracks" since it's cool and all, but a pain if it's useless or even if I want to have anything other than *mp3, *ogg, and *wav to play. For example, if you wanted to listen to some hardcore rock fighting off the bats and you don't feel like converint song.m4a to song.ogg, what then? But the main reason I did want this is because on many mobile games like these, one has the option to use the user's music files instead of the traditional background music (for example, Bloons Tower Defense if I recall does this).

Here's some video of the custom music in action:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/976 ... Turtle.avi

Also, I merged my Android code with the main branch of the project. It wasn't hard since I just create 'local hooks' and these are only loaded when it's on mobile mode (love.system.getOS() is Android or iOS). It's like so:

Code: Select all

local oldDraw = love.draw
function love.draw()
 oldDraw()
 touchcontrols:draw()
end
Probably not a great idea, but I didn't want my code being what would look like World War III in Sublime Text. There's VERY little mobile mode code leaked into other files than touchcontrols.lua.