New subforum for libraries?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
micha
Inner party member

Re: New subforum for libraries?

Post by micha »

There are two things that I think are difficult to find: (up-to-date) libraries and finished games. New subforums for these two would come in handy.
Muris
Party member

Post by Muris »

Another thing that I've thought of that it would be nice if there is maybe a topic or something for projects that aren't really fully finished, more like prototypes or part of a project you're working on, that you think others might find useful, but you do not want to put effort in making it a full library. Also this would be a good way to ask opinions on things youre working on.
shatterblast
Party member

Post by shatterblast »

Muris wrote:Another thing that I've thought of that it would be nice if there is maybe a topic or something for projects that aren't really fully finished, more like prototypes or part of a project you're working on, that you think others might find useful, but you do not want to put effort in making it a full library. Also this would be a good way to ask opinions on things youre working on.
I support this since I like to share my personal project as I make signifcant progress. My game is a long way from being complete.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

micha wrote:There are two things that I think are difficult to find: (up-to-date) libraries and finished games. New subforums for these two would come in handy.
I'd be content with the wiki for these even, if they were being updated, but it's true that we couldn't discuss them there.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
rmcode
Party member

Post by rmcode »

I'd also love to see this happen.
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

I brought this up a long time ago to the devs with not much fanfare. I personally think that games and tools should be separate, but from my recollection, the biggest deterrent is sorting out years of history from one forum to another.

Depending on how well phpBB's admin tools are (I haven't used phpBB in a long time), I wouldn't think it to take more than an hour or two to click a bunch of checkboxes and move the topics from one place to another, but that being said, I can't blame those in charge for not wanting to do it.
STI - An awesome Tiled library
LÖVE3D - A 3D library for LÖVE 0.10+

Dev Blog | GitHub | excessive ❤ moé
rmcode
Party member

Post by rmcode »

Karai17 wrote:I brought this up a long time ago to the devs with not much fanfare. I personally think that games and tools should be separate, but from my recollection, the biggest deterrent is sorting out years of history from one forum to another.

Depending on how well phpBB's admin tools are (I haven't used phpBB in a long time), I wouldn't think it to take more than an hour or two to click a bunch of checkboxes and move the topics from one place to another, but that being said, I can't blame those in charge for not wanting to do it.
It probably involves more work than checking a few boxes, because you'd have to open some threads to even figure out if they deal with a game or a tool.

Then again the question is: Does it matter for threads that are older than 1 year?

If they haven't been updated in that time, chances are they aren't really relevant for the current version of LÖVE. If a thread is still relevant (and in the wrong section) the original creator or someone else could report it and ask for a transfer.

Also, the longer we wait the more cluttered it will become.
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

Yes, I recall also mentioning that the history only need go back about six months. I suspect it may happen if we continue to make a fuss, but I don't expect it to happen any time soon.
STI - An awesome Tiled library
LÖVE3D - A 3D library for LÖVE 0.10+

Dev Blog | GitHub | excessive ❤ moé
SuperZazu
Citizen

Post by SuperZazu »

This is a great idea, for all the reasons mentionned before :-)
Foxcraft
Prole

Post by Foxcraft »

Just bringing this thread back to the front.

I think at least some minimal effort to better organize the section would be good. The option to not go through every bit of it (6 months, 10 pages, whatever) is a decent one, and I'd rather see that than nothing done.