Joystick Help Please

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
i_love_u
Prole

Joystick Help Please

Post by i_love_u »

I do not know whether the 2nd code snippet on this page is outdated or not, but it isn't working for me:
https://love2d.org/wiki/Joystick

I am also trying to use the function:

Code: Select all

love.gamepadpressed( joystick, button )
But it isn't working either. Does anyone have suggestions of what I am missing?
Kingdaro
Party member

Re: Joystick Help Please

Post by Kingdaro »

It's possible that your joystick isn't actually registered as a gamepad. Try putting this in your code (with console enabled in conf.lua):

function love.joystickpressed(joystick, button)
   print(joystick, button)
end
Press buttons on your joystick, and if you get output, then that means you'll have to add gamepad mappings manually for your controller. See: love.joystick.setGamepadMapping.
i_love_u
Prole

Post by i_love_u »

Kingdaro wrote:It's possible that your joystick isn't actually registered as a gamepad. Try putting this in your code (with console enabled in conf.lua):

function love.joystickpressed(joystick, button)
   print(joystick, button)
end
Press buttons on your joystick, and if you get output, then that means you'll have to add gamepad mappings manually for your controller. See: love.joystick.setGamepadMapping.
Is "registered as a gamepad" and simply recognized by the following code the same thing?

love.joystick.getJoystickCount()
Kingdaro
Party member

Post by Kingdaro »

No, they aren't. Joysticks and gamepads are conceptually different things. Rather, they have different workings in their API. Joysticks represent the controller itself, where the gamepad bindings, axes and such are there just so you have an easy to use, universal... thing, to more easily support multiple controllers. As an example, the button 1 differs widely from controller to controller, but different mappings for 'a' will always allow you to get the button you want as mapped on the controller itself.

In relation to your question, you can also check if a joystick is detected as a gamepad directly, something I forgot about when making my post. I'll also apologize if my explanation isn't all that clear, the wiki page here should give a good enough explanation as well.