Warlock's Tower (RELEASED!)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
bdjnk
Citizen

Re: Warlock's Tower - A Movement Puzzle

Post by bdjnk »

Awesome job! I find it fun and the gradual increase in difficulty seems exactly right.

I encountered a crash though. I believe it was level 2 room 6, but that could be wrong (I was piping the output to /dev/null and couldn't get it to reoccur). This leads me to the two other things I noticed.

First, as was mentioned, you need to be able to start where you left off. Second, warlockstower.love has a fps.lua file that seems to do nothing but occasionally print the current frames per second. I removed it to no noticeable ill effect.
headchant
Party member

Post by headchant »

Having lots of fun with this! Very good game, nothing bad to say about this one! Keep it up!
yhsper
Prole

Post by yhsper »

Hi, guys!

Thank you all for your compliments! We are, in fact, very proud of the game's concept. Truth is: it's a very old idea, one of the first games I ever tried writing when I started learning programming. And the Game Boy feel is a direct result of it being influenced by Game Jolt's GBJam.

We finally implemented some sort of persistence. Now you don't need to start all over when you close the game. We haven't been able to test this all the way through, though. If you guys find any errors, please report. The links are the same.

The crash thing, bdjnk, is news to me. If you ever find out exactly how to cause it, we would be very happy to know it. Also, the fps.lua is, as you mention, not needed at all. We have currently removed it from the game.
FlipNinten
Prole

Post by FlipNinten »

I really enjoyed this one! It gets reaaally challenging in the later levels! I like the game aesthetically aswell(dem gameboy feels lol).
micha
Inner party member

Post by micha »

Well done.

I think you could improve the display a little bit by putting a slight grid-like texture on the floor. That would make it easier to count steps.
DrCicero
Prole

Post by DrCicero »

If you can build complex levels out of simple rules everyone understands, then its a good game. Nice!
Xeldas Saga - my ca. 10min action-platformer (contains sound effects, music, graphics and a boss fight)
yhsper
Prole

Post by yhsper »

A lot has happened since the last time I posted here, but I can proudly say Warlock's Tower is still alive! We have greatly improved its graphics, wrote music scores for each floor, added basic joystick support, started porting it over to Android, and some more. Whew!

We are planning to sell the game once it's ready, which we would like to do by the end of the year. Hopefully we can talk about it while it gets done, and you guys can help our small team achieve this big goal with your immensely valuable opinion and feedback. ^^

For instance, here's a comparison of the graphics improvement, a before/after screenshot from Stage 2. What do you guys think?

Reef
Prole

Post by Reef »

Looks great! I'm glad you are still working on this
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Yeah I really like the new look. Not so sure about the grid lines filter though. Then again I never like scanlines either. Just give me crisp clean blocky pixels.
yhsper
Prole

Post by yhsper »

Reef wrote:Looks great! I'm glad you are still working on this
Thank you, Reef! I'm glad you like it. The game has been on the back burner, but now we're getting back to it.
Jasoco wrote:Yeah I really like the new look. Not so sure about the grid lines filter though. Then again I never like scanlines either. Just give me crisp clean blocky pixels.
As you might be able to tell, the grid effect is a shader we are using. We started implementing Harlequin's GameBoy shader but tweaked it to our liking.

It would be easy for us to write a different version of the shader that doesn't draw the grid, available through the game's options menu. How does that sound?