LÖVE CÖNNECTION 1.4

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Nicholas Scott
Prole

LÖVE CÖNNECTION 1.4

Post by Nicholas Scott »

Hello! So, I've been away from Love2D for a long time now, anyways I'm back and I need a networking module, I'm reviving this project and reworking it as I've seen it's not working as it used to. I'll provide more documentation etc. Anyways any suggestions please leave below!
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Provides simple, easy to use, networking functions.
---
This communicates to the server using a table containing a few variables and of course any other info you so desire to send to the server. As well as server to client!
---
Feel free to nitpick in the comments and suggest improvements, or new features, Also I'd LOVE to see anything you guys use this to make, it would tickle me to death to see my creation put to good use!
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Help! We needs ideas from you! Post suggestions, improvements, or anything to help in the comments! Please :D

Wiki Everything you need to know here! https://github.com/NicholasScott1337/L- ... N-1.4/wiki

Github: https://github.com/NicholasScott1337/L- ... ECTION-1.4

Need any help? Feel free to add me on steam http://steamcommunity.com/id/shawawawa

Check out the wiki for help and for changelog
Last edited by Nicholas Scott on Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:55 pm, edited 37 times in total.
.InsertNameHere
Prole

Re: [LUBE Expansion]LÖVE CÖNNECTION

Post by .InsertNameHere »

Cool! I might have missed it in the main post, but could you provide a download?

I'd love to test it and implement it in a game I've been trying to make for a while!

Thanks.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Nicholas Scott wrote:Provides simple, easy to use, networking functions.
Feel free to nitpick in the comments and suggest improvements, or new features
Challenge accepted.
Nicholas Scott wrote: Class.lua(for LUBE 1.0)
Either support class commons as lube does, or just use its fallback. It's a bit weird when there's a system in place to allow you to swap out class libraries that you then throw it away.
Nicholas Scott wrote:

Code: Select all

Class = require("modules/Class")
require("modules/Binary")
require("modules/Lube")
require("modules/Net")
Eek, slashes in requires are evil. The correct separator for requires (so for module names) is a dot. Dots work always, regardless of whether the library is a c library, a lua library, injected by some other means whatever. Furthermore, mixing dots and slashes is always bad, since it breaks requires caching.

Lastly, adding these capital letters seemingly randomly is a bit weird and awkward, especially for the windows users who switch between case-insensitive and case-sensitive filesystems.
Nicholas Scott wrote:

net_init("SERVER")
Are all your functions globals? I'd recommend your libraries return (but don't globally set) their table, then putting all functions in those tables.
Nicholas Scott
Prole

Post by Nicholas Scott »

.InsertNameHere wrote:Cool! I might have missed it in the main post, but could you provide a download?

I'd love to test it and implement it in a game I've been trying to make for a while!

Thanks.
Sorry about the delay man, I've been really busy all day xD
Nicholas Scott
Prole

Post by Nicholas Scott »

bartbes wrote:The correct separator for requires (so for module names) is a dot.
Fixed !!! :D
bartbes wrote:Lastly, adding these capital letters seemingly randomly is a bit weird and awkward, especially for the windows users who switch between case-insensitive and case-sensitive filesystems.
Fixed! :D I personally use it because I was used to using

if CLIENT then print("Client") end
because I previously coded in GMOD. same with server[/i][/b]
bartbes wrote:Are all your functions globals?
Annnnnd it's gone, the functions aren't global anymore, look at the update :D
Last edited by Nicholas Scott on Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nicholas Scott
Prole

Post by Nicholas Scott »

Updated to version 1.1! Credit to [bartbes]memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=147 for all his wonderful help! You da man my man!!! :D
Last edited by Nicholas Scott on Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

Please avoid multiple posts in a row; you can edit your previous ones if needed. Also, please don't quote huge blocks like that, but just the single part or use something like

[quote=bartbes]snip[/quote]
That said, your library looks neat and useful! If I ever get around making a multiplayer game, it might be just what I'd use.
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
Nicholas Scott
Prole

Post by Nicholas Scott »

Nixola wrote:That said, your library looks neat and useful!
Thanks alot man, I really try my best and work hard on stuff like this, also I'm extremely OCD so it has to be neat and perfect or it will annoy the shit out of me xD. Also who knows, I might even consider making it it's own dependency, therefore removing Class.lua and Lube.lua :D PSST I'm never going to use Class.lua, sorry to those who truly want me to :(
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

Um sir, ping should not be measure in seconds that's too big lol. Most things that deal with time in networking uses milliseconds as their units. But its fine just feels like it doesn't properly represent way things are generally done.
Nicholas Scott
Prole

Post by Nicholas Scott »

bobbyjones wrote:Um sir, ping should not be measure in seconds that's too big lol
I know, sorry, Trust me it's only temporary, but I will correct this A.S.A.P it was only in seconds cause that is what my happy lovely, update function known as love.update increases by :D
But I'll change it to satisfy you my fine glorious sir! :D