LöveFTW - preview release

Discuss any ports of LÖVE to different platforms.
DLudwig255
Prole

Re: LöveFTW - preview release

Post by DLudwig255 »

Regarding the Direct3D crash mentioned in this thread a few months ago, it appears that this issue was recently fixed, in ANGLE (OpenGL ES for Windows). Details on this are at https://github.com/MSOpenTech/angle/issues/37.

I've yet to try the fix myself though. This message is just a heads-up.

Cheers!
-- David L.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Great! I'll update LöveFTW to the latest ANGLE build (and also fix so that you don't have to build OpenAL manually) as soon as I have the time :P
HeadClot
Prole

Post by HeadClot »

Hey T-Bone,

Got a few questions about LöveFTW. Hope you don't mind if I ask them.

1. Does this have Tiled map editor support?
2. Do you have any plans for advanced features such as level streaming?
3. Do you have plans to port this over to Xbox One? When Microsoft turns every console into a dev kit ofc.
4. Does this have support for Isometric rendering?
5. Can I deploy to other devices such as Android with LöveFTW?

Thanks for your time,

HeadClot
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

1. LöveFTW behaves pretty much identical to Löve. If you can use Tiled maps in Löve, you can do so in LöveFTW (I have never done so myself in neither Löve or LöveFTW)
2. LöveFTW behaves pretty much identical to Löve. My goal is to behave exactly like Löve. I'm not sure what you mean by "level streaming", but if Löve can do it then so should LöveFTW.
3. Currently LöveFTW targets 8.1. If/When SDL becomes usable on Windows 10, I will try to port it over. Windows 10 Universal apps should run on the Xbox One, although Microsoft haven't shown the details yet. I'd love for it to happen! I don't have an Xbox One to test on though :P We'll see.
4. Just as much as Löve does. There's no built-in support but you can make it happen.
5. No, and why would you want that? LöveFTW is just a port of Löve to the 8.1 UWP. If you want to deploy to Android, use the Android port.

I just pushed an update that fixed the OpenAL issue, now the library is built automatically before building LöveFTW. Updating SDL and ANGLE to their latest versions will come shortly.
msilvestro
Prole

Post by msilvestro »

This is awesome! I didn't know there was a Windows devices port, it's wonderful!
And by the way, great name! I'll try soon enough on my WP!
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Sorry for not updating to the latest ANGLE and SDL yet. The thing is, the coding in LöveFTW is really messy, and it makes it really difficult and messy to change or fix anything. It was made an experiment, and it shows :P I really look forward to rewriting this, although that will probably have to wait until SDL for Windows 10 is ready.

And updated SDL and ANGLE for this 8.1 version is still coming! I'll just have to find the time to fix it.
gomez
Citizen

Post by gomez »

T-Bone wrote:Sorry for not updating to the latest ANGLE and SDL yet. The thing is, the coding in LöveFTW is really messy, and it makes it really difficult and messy to change or fix anything. It was made an experiment, and it shows :P I really look forward to rewriting this, although that will probably have to wait until SDL for Windows 10 is ready.

And updated SDL and ANGLE for this 8.1 version is still coming! I'll just have to find the time to fix it.
Any news, T-Bone ?
I was researching the SDL support for Windows Modern Environment and I saw D. Ludwig has merged his work to the main branch of the SDL. Even recently, the SDL team has released a new version of the library, bringing many improvements..
Hey dude :D
Do you want to protect earth from an apocalypse ? Me too o/
Check my new game here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=81001
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

WinRT support in standard SDL has been there for quite a while. That's what LöveFTW uses now, in fact.

Considering how messy the current LöveFTW project is, and that both Windows 10 (which a much improved and truly universal UWP) and Löve 0.10.0 (with improved mobile support built-in) have been released, it makes sense to start fresh and redo LöveFTW to take advantage. It shouldn't really be that hard, but I have very little time for such projects currently. It is quite high on my to-do list, however!
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

SDL 2.0.4 also has support for Windows 10 UWP now, as well.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

What kind of changes are necessary? With mobile support in love and universal windows app support in sdl2, is there much left? Even though I'm not sure any of the devs want to explicitly support "FTW" as a target, I wouldn't be opposed to merging changes in.