Little Games (on hold)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
pekka
Party member

Little Games (on hold)

Post by pekka »

EDIT: I am not going to release new games for now. I am currently not using Löve.

This thread is for posting little games I've made with Löve. I feel that individually these do not merit their own threads, which is why I will collect them here in one place. I will keep a list of all the games I will post over time in the first posting of this thread. This is the first posting, so see below for the list.

These games will not have high production values. I won't go hunting for music or graphics above the bare necessities, nor try to make my own, when I'm working at this level. They're just games I've once enjoyed playing and thus wanted to remake with my own twists, or games I've made to explore some features and possibilities of Löve. What I'll do is make a reasonable effort to write clean and plain code. I also like commenting, so there will be some comments.

I welcome feedback and will read it all. You can tell me if you think these suck, too. I won't mind. They probably do :)

List of games in this thread

Lights Out
Last edited by pekka on Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pekka
Party member

Re: Little Games

Post by pekka »

I have written a simple version of the Lights Out puzzle with Löve. It is attached to this posting.

You are supposed to click click click away until all the lights are out, which is represented by all the rectangles being empty. Then you can proceed to another level where there will be more Lights to turn Out. The catch is that you have to flip the state of several lights at once.

This game is not completely unsubtle for being such a simple puzzle. It will also probably be frustrating. Perhaps even extremely so. Ha ha ha.

Anyway, have a go if you like.
LightsOut.love
Lights Out puzzle implemented in Löve. Compatible with 0.7 and 0.6.2 thanks to a text placement hack.
(5.85 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

DAMMIT PEKKA! :x This game makes my head hurt!
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

I did it, but then there was another level! :ultrashocked:
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Oh, man, is there even a solution for the third level?
Help us help you: attach a .love.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

There is, but 4...
pekka
Party member

Post by pekka »

It is guaranteed you can always solve the position it presents you. Because the game has the property that two moves at the same position cancel each other out, it is possible to construct solvable positions as follows.

Start from the empty position.
Make any sequence of moves.

After this, you can reach the empty position by just making the same sequence of moves again, which cancels it out. You don't even need to play the moves in the same order, as it doesn't change the resulting state at all. It's all just XOR operations on a set of bits, if you want to look at it that way.

My initialization code makes some effort to reach a starting position where at least half the lights are set when playing its initial random moves. To avoid a possible infinite loop, I also count these iterations and bail if the count gets too high, but my testing suggested this fail safe is not necessary on the levels I put in the game. I'm telling you just so you know it's there. The program shouldn't hang if you make your own levels (mind you, with correct format my lazily written parser demans), and if it does, that's an error on my part.
Xkeeper
Prole

Post by Xkeeper »

I got to the +-shaped stage and gave up. Damn, that was frustrating.