AirTaxi [WIP]

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
MadByte
Party member

AirTaxi [WIP]

Post by MadByte »

Game page: http://www.destructivereality.de/airtaxi/

What is AirTaxi?

AirTaxi (working title) gonna be a remake of the same-named Amiga PD title released back in 1994. It was loosely based on the even older C64 game "Space Taxi".

As player you have to carry passengers between multiple platforms to earn money - which will be used to buy fuel and new items doing gameplay. The game will contain a stage-based "Story Mode", an "Endless Mode" and an "Racing Mode" where you can compete
against other players or try to improve your time while playing in time trial mode.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Status Updates

[19-03-2016] Editor Progress!

Hey guys,

I've posted a gif about the game in the "Whats everyone working on" thread some days ago.
I made some good progress since then and thought I should create a dev thread for it to document changes.
I'll update the OP as soon as I release a new build on the game page linked below.
But no worries - I won't bump that thread until there's something major to talk about.

I'm currently working on the In-Game Editor for the game.
I've added basic functionality (create/load/save level) and right now I'm working on the editing tools which should help to create and edit objects more easily. Here is a gif showing the current functionality including object placement, wall placement via area selection and a selection tool to mark objects which can be edited or deleted.

GIF

I also created a development plan for stuff I gonna add in near future (I use Windows Sticky Notes on a second screen to handle all development planning and it works surprisingly well (an image, but in german - sorry)!

You can test the current version on the game page linked on top. Note that it doesn't contain any GUI elements atm so navigating will get much easier in near future.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What happend to your old AirTaxi project?
Two years ago I already began to remake the classic airTaxi game but discontinued because of my coding skills at this time which resulted in losing motivation to continue the project.
I can't promise that I'll finish the new project at the extend I imagine atm but there will definetly be a "kinda finished" and playable version of the game to enjoy.

Will there be a Github repo or something similar?
Nope, but if you want to take a look at the code you can download the *.love version on the AirTaxi page linked on top of this post.
That's it so far. Thanks for reading!
Last edited by MadByte on Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
undef
Party member

Re: AirTaxi [WIP]

Post by undef »

Nice, quite difficult though. I like the editor!
twitter | steam | indieDB

Check out quadrant on Steam!
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

Cute! I was confused by the landing gear at first and physics felt weird while recording after a while but perhaps that's just general system slowdown [EDIT: because of recording the game] (or Chrome compensating by slowing down WebGL first? hm).

https://youtu.be/KUW-dtrDCCs

Love the pixels and the music is good and the voice adds a lot!

Reminds me of Quarantine (1994) - cuz it's a taxi. -_-
Last edited by qubodup on Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
MadByte
Party member

Post by MadByte »

qubodup wrote:Cute! I was confused by the landing gear at first and physics felt weird while recording after a while but perhaps that's just general system slowdown (or Chrome compensating by slowing down WebGL first? hm).
Thanks for testing it. :)
I don't have any slowdown problems on my system (using Chrome as well), I'll look into it.
Mutos
Prole

Post by Mutos »

Hello MadByte,

Nice game, but reacts too fast on my system, it's nearly unplayable, you just touch an arrow key and vlam ! you get hurled all the way. A bit slower acceleration factor would help. After trying to half gravity, xacc and yacc I found it much more playable, not too easy but reasonably difficult. Maybe you would set a difficulty level acting on these parameters ?

And neatly coded too, all split in small functions so as to stay readable.
Last edited by Mutos on Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benoît 'Mutos' Robin
Hoshikaze 2250, Sci-Fi universe in collaborative writing
MadByte
Party member

Post by MadByte »

Thanks for testing it.
Yes there may be a problem with the delta time. I started to rewrite the game some month ago and recorderd better voices, enhanced the passenger animation... but unfortunately stopped working on it again.
If you want you could try this version as well and tell me if you still have problems on your machine.
AirTaxi-rework.love
(383.74 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
Mutos
Prole

Post by Mutos »

Hi MadByte,

Thanks, it's much more playable like this, I just lack the destination text display ^-^ What problem was there with dt exactly ?
Benoît 'Mutos' Robin
MadByte
Party member

Post by MadByte »

Mutos wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:04 pm What problem was there with dt exactly ?
You have to make sure to use dt on time relevant calculations, especially if you disable vsync and don't lock the fps.. it's used to keep the game at a constant speed while the FPS can fluctuate.. everyone's goal should be to make sure that his/her game runs at the same speed on every machine.
In the previous version I seem to do some calculations without taking delta time into account. That caused the problems on your machine.When I have to guess I would say that my taxi acceleration code didn't used dt.. but I don't want to look into it now.
Mutos
Prole

Post by Mutos »

Hi MadByte,

I saw you correctly used speed to update position with a speed*dt, but I didn't notice for updating speed with acceleration*dt.

I may look at it later, just to be sure, but for now I got to eat ^-^ See you later !
Benoît 'Mutos' Robin