Where and how did you start?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Vimm
Party member

Where and how did you start?

Post by Vimm »

When you started learning LOVE and Lua, what were your first few projects? How did you get better? Did you study other code, look up references and tutorials online?, ect? How does your style of coding now compare to when you started?

Just curious :P
srcn
Citizen

Re: Where and how did you start?

Post by srcn »

It was like many years ago :D I randomly found out Löve and wanted to try. Unfortunately I did not really got into working with löve on big or serious projects. I only used engine's wiki page to do the work and studied a bit of lua. I have done few small projects with löve. After a long while I am back and I want to work a bit more professionally. Try to learn about shaders and how capable is lua for oop. Here is my very first game made with löve.
Attachments
Roadkill.love
(1.12 MiB) Downloaded 117 times
I am a mad scientist!
s-ol
Party member

Post by s-ol »

I found out about LÖVE because of a Ludum Dare entry and tried it out. At first I didn't get along very well, I tried reading the MrRescue source code but it was too complicated at the time. Built a few very shitty small platformers before doing the next LDs in LÖVE.

I couldn't say that there was something specific that helped me learn, I was mostly just messing around and the wiki is a really good resource.

s-ol.nu /blog  -  p.s-ol.be /st8.lua  -  g.s-ol.be /gtglg /curcur

Code: Select all

print( type(love) )
if false then
  baby:hurt(me)
end
Sulunia
Party member

Post by Sulunia »

Oh, what a trainwreck it was.

The first thing i ever attempted to pull off on love2d was a full fledged CHIP16 emulator. Unecessary to say we eventually dropped it off, since lua is definitely not suitabe for these things (as we eventually came to know).
We? I work most often with a friend of mine

Nowadays i'm currently working on a rhythm game... It's still on early stages and i'm too shy to speak about it xD but i might show it around soon enough.

Still, i really like messing around with love. It's powerful and pretty fast!
Don't check my github! It contains thousands of lines of spaghetti code in many different languages cool software! :neko:
https://github.com/Sulunia
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

I came from Ogre3D and wanted to have something easier to use and also Community driven Open Source.

I think the first one was a music synth. game called LalaLove in 2008: http://gamejams.schattenkind.net/2011/10/lalalove.html

some more löve games: http://gamejams.schattenkind.net/ (only Beez is HGE)
fixylol
Prole

Post by fixylol »

my first experience with lua was on a game engine(ish) called "ROBLOX". however, their engine was very restricted (audio can only be 2 minutes long and you have to pay to upload it, images need to be approved, etc) and pretty laggy, so i decided to look for other engines that use lua. i then stumbled upon love2d. i'm currently working on my first project, a recreation of a game made in stagecast creator called awedd.sim (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crWQ42PePHE).
Tricky
Citizen

Post by Tricky »

I learned about Lua as a World of Warcraft player, since all its addons are merely Lua scripts.
The language I used (BlitzMax) had a Lua module and I started to study it. I came up with War in Space - All Around The Moon in order to study the possibilities of Lua a bit more. It was never a serious project, but an experiment, but hey, maybe you like the game anyway, as I didn't really throw it, you know ;)

A really serious project with Lua came when I created The Secrets of Dyrt. I just wanted to make an RPG again, and up until now I only had to reply on my own (crappy) scripting languages I didn't even care to give a name.

During my time at GameJolt I heard somebody complain about Love2D being too "low level", but that was actually something I liked. The two games above I mentioned are not exactly lightwight, and getting them to work on Linux, well they should both work with wine, but a true Linux version was just major hell. I was looking to a good Lua based engine for my smaller projects, and that complaint was just telling me Love2D could be what I was looking for.

I'm now working to create a puzzle game, which is actually a remake of an older concept of mine, but perfect to get into the deep of Love2D. And I guess this will also be the first game of mine with an actual "Linux version". The only thing I miss in Love is the support for the "archiving" system I used (and I can't expect it to, as I set up that system myself), as it grants me a lot of possibilities zip doesn't offer. Well, we can't have EVERYTHING, I guess.